RC Racer

Drive shafts and widemaxx

Hey guys. So I bought a disassembled maxx off craigslist. Got it cheap so I thought i could make a quick buck flipping it. But...I've decided to keep it and sell my slash instead.
    So, it came with a widemaxx kit. And it came with 17 broken driveshafts. All of them the inside half was twisted up and snapped. I figure looking at them it happened coz with the wide arms less of the shaft is inside the outer sleve so there's a longer "weak point". Im not ready to drop big $$$ on steel driveshatfs so I'm wondering if i should use the regular arms instead and install the widemaxx whenever I have the money to buy better driveshafts.

Am I over thinking this? Was the previous owner of this rig just a terrible driver? Maybe landing jumps with full beans on the gas?
    Do you think I'll be ok with widemaxx and regular shafts if i drive like a normal idiot instead of a crazy idiot?

Thanks in advance.

RC Champion
    Short plastic axles will last longer than extended ones
    Steel cvd’s for durability

Enjoy Fun to the Maxx
    fabricator

RC Racer
    I tried at first to save some money by not upgrading. After breaking 3 of the plastic ones in a day I decided to upgrade. Expensive but well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Guess im not using widemaxx arms just yet then.

RC Qualifier
    You could use the widemaxx arms, see what you think and make up your mind. You can always switch back to the stock ones.

RC Racer
    I think I'll just use the regular ones first and drive it for a while. That way i get the excitement of "new" stuff later when i decide im tired of rolling over

RC Champion
    Start off with the regulars first for sure. And yes, I believe the previous owner did not know how to let off the throttle when landing jumps or wrecking. 17 broken driveshafts is crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    has anyone installed the widemaxx kit on the front only? thinking mid 90's prerunner with the wide front end to soak up the bumps, but still want the back end narrow and low.

Open to any thoughts or feedback on what the characteristics of this type of install would be?

RC Racer
    I have a plan! Can't wait to try it. I'm thinking that i cut up a couple broken driveshafts that have, just the outter sleeve, into 18mm sections. Then slide them onto the inner sections right up to the u joint. Tiny bit of glue maybe. That way the inner part that seems to break all the time with the widemaxx arms will be strengthened and not snap. Could even slide a small piece of an inner part all the way into the outter sleeve before installing them. Beef up the exposed parts that normally aren't exposed when not using the widemaxx arms. Does that make sense?

I'll post pics when I'm doing it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by MysterE View Post
    I have a plan! Can't wait to try it. I'm thinking that i cut up a couple broken driveshafts that have, just the outter sleeve, into 18mm sections. Then slide them onto the inner sections right up to the u joint. Tiny bit of glue maybe. That way the inner part that seems to break all the time with the widemaxx arms will be strengthened and not snap. Could even slide a small piece of an inner part all the way into the outter sleeve before installing them. Beef up the exposed parts that normally aren't exposed when not using the widemaxx arms. Does that make sense?

I'll post pics when I'm doing it tomorrow.
    Good idea trying with what you have. Just don't forget to leave room for the amount needed for the suspension travel. (The amount the two half's slide in and out during use.)

I've done the same on a Tmaxx classic years ago to help with the axle twisting.

RC Racer
    There they are! I'll keep you all posted if they hold up or not.

RC Racer
    Well, I pushed those driveshafts hard today. Two 4s lipos and one 3s right after eachother. Jumping on grass and full speed wheelies and they dont show any signs of stress. Had a couple hard crashes, tumbled into a chainlink fence at one point that i was sure would have broke something but it was all good. But again, time will tell. If these can hold up for a couple months I'll be happy. Not too keen on spending almost 200 bucks canadian for some steel cvd's.

RC Racer
    Here's a closer photo. I didn't glue them in place in the end. Left enough room for them to move around if they need to.

RC poster
    Fairly new to the RC scene (used to run Lunchboxes, RC10s, Grasshoppers many moons ago). So old rc hobbyist returning to the scene and love the Traxxas cars!

I got the widemaxx kit (#8995G) for my Maxx and they come with longer shaft sleeves. But, how in gods green earth do you install them? I was too iffy on removing the stock universal joint in fear of breaking something. Also noticed that it also came with 8 tiny hex-like washers of some sort and have no idea where they go lol.

Anyone have the correct method, or advice on the proper tools to do the job?

RC poster
    You and me both!!!

RC poster
    The pin that you need to remove from the joint doesn’t seem to have those c clips. The other one does, but that’s not the one you need to remove. I’m puzzled

RC poster
    I’ve got an idea. Remove one of the clips holding on the other pin, remove that pin, then maybe the other pin can be removed to allow you to replace the splined tube with the longer one. Those spare clips must be in case you break or loose the ones on at present. I’m going to try it when I get back home.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasD View Post
    I’ve got an idea. Remove one of the clips holding on the other pin, remove that pin, then maybe the other pin can be removed to allow you to replace the splined tube with the longer one. Those spare clips must be in case you break or loose the ones on at present. I’m going to try it when I get back home.
    Yea you be the guinea pig! I just got my maxx and it would kill me to break something and be without a car for weeks waiting for parts lol. I dont get it though, why they make it so difficult? Its almost easier to buy that steel drive shaft kit for the widemax (#8996x i think) and be done with it, but that just seems rather shady to set it up that way.

RC poster
    It worked!! Gently eased off the wee clip and it all comes apart! Hope it goes back together!

RC poster
    And it’s back together. Not too bad at all. I think this is a great solution if the extended shafts hold up. A lot cheaper then the steel set

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasD View Post
    And it’s back together. Not too bad at all. I think this is a great solution if the extended shafts hold up. A lot cheaper then the steel set
    What did you use to remove the clip things? Did you pull them off or some other way?

RC Racer
    Ok so you guys are saying the widemaxx kit comes with longer plactis driveshafts? This is news to me. I bought this rig all pulled apart, widemaxx parts included and had to figure out how to put the whole truck together. But all the driveshafts ot came with were the same length...

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MysterE View Post
    Ok so you guys are saying the widemaxx kit comes with longer plactis driveshafts? This is news to me. I bought this rig all pulled apart, widemaxx parts included and had to figure out how to put the whole truck together. But all the driveshafts ot came with were the same length...
    I'm new to the scene here so I can't say when they added the new longer plastic shafts. I got my Maxx + the wide max kit (8995G) about 3 days ago so perhaps its something new they added to the wide max kit?

Edit: Took a picture of the stock with the axle thing and the new longer one that came with the kit.

As you can see they are longer to suit the widemaxx kit. Now I just need to figure out how to take off that universal connect thing lol.
    Last edited by RC_Noob; 11-27-2020 at 06:56 PM.

RC poster
    I just used a blunt kitchen knife to push one end of clip while wedging it with my nail. Took a couple of attempts to get the hang of it, but pretty easy. I think it must be a recent thing as all the photos of the kit don’t show the shafts, and there are no instructions. All together now and seems to be running well. Put 50 wt oil in rear shocks too. My maxx is only a couple of weeks old.

RC poster
    Sweet did one so far lol. Something that definitely needs some fine tuning in terms of replacement lol. Such a pain to do with such tiny pieces.

Edit: The kitchen knife definitely worked getting the washer thing out easily. To lock it in super fast and easy I used needle nosed pliers to lock it back it in and it was super easy.

Tools for wide shaft installation: Kitchen knife and Needle Nose Pliers lol
    Last edited by RC_Noob; 11-27-2020 at 08:06 PM.

RC poster
    I was able to replace both shafts from both rearr shafts with the longer ones. But could not for the life of me remove the little washer clips from the front universal things. They would just spin as I try to push them out. Such a pain!

This little guy here:

The little washer thing just spins trying to push it out from one of the ends. So annoying! Any suggestions?

Edit: Finally done! Had to hold a flat head screw driver against one side, and push the other side with some scissors lol, but it worked. Popped off and replaced it all and put a new washer thing on. THANK JESUS THATS DONE lol.

Here it is all done!!

Last edited by RC_Noob; 11-27-2020 at 10:34 PM.

RC poster
    Looking good!