RC Racer

Drive shafts and widemaxx

Hey guys. So I bought a disassembled maxx off craigslist. Got it cheap so I thought i could make a quick buck flipping it. But...I've decided to keep it and sell my slash instead.
    So, it came with a widemaxx kit. And it came with 17 broken driveshafts. All of them the inside half was twisted up and snapped. I figure looking at them it happened coz with the wide arms less of the shaft is inside the outer sleve so there's a longer "weak point". Im not ready to drop big $$$ on steel driveshatfs so I'm wondering if i should use the regular arms instead and install the widemaxx whenever I have the money to buy better driveshafts.

Am I over thinking this? Was the previous owner of this rig just a terrible driver? Maybe landing jumps with full beans on the gas?
    Do you think I'll be ok with widemaxx and regular shafts if i drive like a normal idiot instead of a crazy idiot?

Thanks in advance.

RC Champion
    Short plastic axles will last longer than extended ones
    Steel cvd’s for durability

Enjoy Fun to the Maxx
    fabricator

RC Racer
    I tried at first to save some money by not upgrading. After breaking 3 of the plastic ones in a day I decided to upgrade. Expensive but well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Guess im not using widemaxx arms just yet then.

RC Qualifier
    You could use the widemaxx arms, see what you think and make up your mind. You can always switch back to the stock ones.

RC Racer
    I think I'll just use the regular ones first and drive it for a while. That way i get the excitement of "new" stuff later when i decide im tired of rolling over

RC Champion
    Start off with the regulars first for sure. And yes, I believe the previous owner did not know how to let off the throttle when landing jumps or wrecking. 17 broken driveshafts is crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    has anyone installed the widemaxx kit on the front only? thinking mid 90's prerunner with the wide front end to soak up the bumps, but still want the back end narrow and low.

Open to any thoughts or feedback on what the characteristics of this type of install would be?

RC Racer
    I have a plan! Can't wait to try it. I'm thinking that i cut up a couple broken driveshafts that have, just the outter sleeve, into 18mm sections. Then slide them onto the inner sections right up to the u joint. Tiny bit of glue maybe. That way the inner part that seems to break all the time with the widemaxx arms will be strengthened and not snap. Could even slide a small piece of an inner part all the way into the outter sleeve before installing them. Beef up the exposed parts that normally aren't exposed when not using the widemaxx arms. Does that make sense?

I'll post pics when I'm doing it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by MysterE View Post
    I have a plan! Can't wait to try it. I'm thinking that i cut up a couple broken driveshafts that have, just the outter sleeve, into 18mm sections. Then slide them onto the inner sections right up to the u joint. Tiny bit of glue maybe. That way the inner part that seems to break all the time with the widemaxx arms will be strengthened and not snap. Could even slide a small piece of an inner part all the way into the outter sleeve before installing them. Beef up the exposed parts that normally aren't exposed when not using the widemaxx arms. Does that make sense?

I'll post pics when I'm doing it tomorrow.
    Good idea trying with what you have. Just don't forget to leave room for the amount needed for the suspension travel. (The amount the two half's slide in and out during use.)

I've done the same on a Tmaxx classic years ago to help with the axle twisting.

RC Racer
    There they are! I'll keep you all posted if they hold up or not.

RC Racer
    Well, I pushed those driveshafts hard today. Two 4s lipos and one 3s right after eachother. Jumping on grass and full speed wheelies and they dont show any signs of stress. Had a couple hard crashes, tumbled into a chainlink fence at one point that i was sure would have broke something but it was all good. But again, time will tell. If these can hold up for a couple months I'll be happy. Not too keen on spending almost 200 bucks canadian for some steel cvd's.

RC Racer
    Here's a closer photo. I didn't glue them in place in the end. Left enough room for them to move around if they need to.