Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    210

    New extreme Heavy-Duty Steel driveshafts

    Traxxas released new driveshafts for the Hoss and other 4x4 (Rustler 4x4, Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4)

    https://traxxas.com/news/hoss-extrem...ty-driveshafts



    Always nice to have more options if you need beefier driveshafts.
    They're not cheap $80 for a pair.


    I'll skip these, waiting the release of the "ultra super way more heavy-duty driveshafts" .

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,374
    Those look really nice. Guessing they will sell all the parts for rebuilds at some point.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier GotNoRice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    611
    Interesting that they are actually more expensive than the MIP X-Duty CVDs, which I believe were already the most expensive metal CVD option. It seems that they are very similar to the MIP design, especially the splines. Hopefully that means they are just as durable.

    I guess it never really did make sense for them to not have an equivalent, given that when you get something like a Hoss or upgrade a Stampede 4x4, upgrading to heavy-duty metal shafts basically becomes a requirement. Now you can do that with all Traxxas parts. Only shame is that if you got these in addition to a Hoss, you're past the price of a Maxx at that point.

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier Thomas P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    713
    I hope they hold up better then the MIP, i went with TEKNO, untill i can get ma hands on this one ��
    TpParts RcXtreme | Xray XT8e | MAXX 4s | XMAXX 8s

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    Interesting that they are actually more expensive than the MIP X-Duty CVDs, which I believe were already the most expensive metal CVD option. It seems that they are very similar to the MIP design, especially the splines. Hopefully that means they are just as durable.

    I guess it never really did make sense for them to not have an equivalent, given that when you get something like a Hoss or upgrade a Stampede 4x4, upgrading to heavy-duty metal shafts basically becomes a requirement. Now you can do that with all Traxxas parts. Only shame is that if you got these in addition to a Hoss, you're past the price of a Maxx at that point.
    And if you drive the maxx hard, you spend another $100 on steel cvd's for it... which in hindsight, isn't that much. lol!
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas P View Post
    I hope they hold up better then the MIP, i went with TEKNO, untill i can get ma hands on this one ��
    I ran my MIP's for 3 years before finally breaking one. $12 replacement part and I was good to go.

    You had issues with the X-duty's?
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  7. #7
    RC Qualifier Thomas P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    713
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    I ran my MIP's for 3 years before finally breaking one. $12 replacement part and I was good to go.

    You had issues with the X-duty's?
    Yes sir, snapped the axles where the joint are , stampede ans FLm maxx, abd in sweden they (MIP) are 90$ a pair,
    TpParts RcXtreme | Xray XT8e | MAXX 4s | XMAXX 8s

  8. #8
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    5
    I think these are reliable and also affordable for which I was waiting.....
    Throw kindness around like confetti.

  9. #9
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas P View Post
    Yes sir, snapped the axles where the joint are , stampede ans FLm maxx, abd in sweden they (MIP) are 90$ a pair,
    They weren't cheap, but not as much here. Think I got mine for $140 for all 4. The $12 was just for the part I broke, the bell shaped part split where the pin went through it. The RPM arm allowed it to flex so far that it bent further than the joint allowed.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    811
    Iím not sure Iím onboard fully, Iím sure they tested it enough but the skinny shafts and the 5mm stub axle with hole through it gives me pause.

    Oh and the price too.

    But Iím sure they will sell plenty of it with every hobby shop hanging it on their walls.

  11. #11
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    I’m not sure I’m onboard fully, I’m sure they tested it enough but the skinny shafts and the 5mm stub axle with hole through it gives me pause.

    Oh and the price too.

    But I’m sure they will sell plenty of it with every hobby shop hanging it on their walls.
    Yeah, MIP changed their axle from one with a pin through it to one with a flat spots on it, but then you can only use MIP's 12mm hex's as they key to the flat spots on the shaft. Not a huge issue, and they are metal, so as long as you don't lose one, or strip out the 1.5mm set screw... I was able to use 12->17mm 5mm offset adapters from hot racing with them. Although, finding 1/2" offset 17mm 2.8 wheels is a bit of a challenge.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  12. #12
    RC Champion zedorda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    1,456
    I will use keyed over pinned stub axles anyday. I have seen so many Traxxas branded stub axles break, I can't believe that still use the style. Unless that is the real point.

  13. #13
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I have seen so many Traxxas branded stub axles break, I can't believe that still use the style. Unless that is the real point.

  14. #14
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Livermore, CA
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Yeah, MIP changed their axle from one with a pin through it to one with a flat spots on it, but then you can only use MIP's 12mm hex's as they key to the flat spots on the shaft. Not a huge issue, and they are metal, so as long as you don't lose one, or strip out the 1.5mm set screw... I was able to use 12->17mm 5mm offset adapters from hot racing with them. Although, finding 1/2" offset 17mm 2.8 wheels is a bit of a challenge.
    Did you not like the look of the MIP 17mm adapter?

  15. #15
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Did you not like the look of the MIP 17mm adapter?
    I think theirs are intended for the pin type/stock axles and not their own with the flat spot instead. Either way, I wanted the extra width the hot racing adapters gave me as well, which key to the 12mm hex and add 6mm in width to each side.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  16. #16
    RC Champion zedorda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    Did you not like the look of the MIP 17mm adapter?
    I bought the MIP 17mm adapters with my axles but they were imo a complete pita to use. And I liked the style of the hot racing 17mm adapters keeping the 12mm hex since I still use 12mm with certain setups. The thin profile of the MIP 17mm nuts are a lot harder to deal with and for some reason several of my rims were a tight fit on the MIP adapters. The hot racing ones fit much better to my variety of rims and I can grip their nuts much better.

    Last edited by zedorda; 10-08-2020 at 03:14 PM.

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    San Gabriel, California
    Posts
    8,475
    ^What he said.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  18. #18
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Hammonton Nj
    Posts
    897
    Guys stick with the plastic shafts , the metal ones never last either , other stuff breaks - diff gears..... I have a bin full of the metal ones, GPM , traxxas, MIP , hot racing , they are also very heavy - kill the slipper , and there is no give or flexing . everything I used metal ones something else broke, even my shock e clips snapped from all the suspension weight

  19. #19
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Hammonton Nj
    Posts
    897
    I forgot to add : They also bin rather quickly if running in sand

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    474
    What do these shafts weigh? Seems like too much rotating mass for my tastes....

  21. #21
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by fortunespoonz View Post
    What do these shafts weigh? Seems like too much rotating mass for my tastes....
    Yeah, I don't think that people take rotating mass into consideration. They just want the biggest and beefiest drive shaft possible. I personally care about the performance of my model. That's why I like the thin steel drive shafts that Traxxas uses on models like the E-revo and X-maxx. They just wear the drive cups soo bad and I like minimizing maintenance as little as possible.

  22. #22
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Hammonton Nj
    Posts
    897
    The GPM ones are even aluminum in the middle and they still are crazy heavy once you compare them to plastic shafts

  23. #23
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Dallas TX
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    The GPM ones are even aluminum in the middle and they still are crazy heavy once you compare them to plastic shafts
    Yeah, it would be neat to find out the difference in performance that heavier axles cause, someone should do a test. I think that with the amount of access power that brushless motors produce nowadays you probably wouldn't notice the performance difference unless under extreme conditions.

  24. #24
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Hammonton Nj
    Posts
    897
    its easier to replace driveshaft than diff gears

  25. #25
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Squeegie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    San Gabriel, California
    Posts
    8,475
    I haven't had a problem running MIP X-Duties on my Slash 4x4. I actually like the weight down low to help lower my center of gravity and added stability it provides.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

  26. #26
    RC Champion zedorda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    S.E. Michigan
    Posts
    1,456
    Quote Originally Posted by Role View Post
    its easier to replace driveshaft than diff gears
    I have not broke a diff yet on my Monster Slash running 8th scale power but me and Shack351 had the same opinion on how to build a proper bulletproof diff and I been using them since day one.

    The idea is you can't just upgrade one part and assume the next weakest link won't be next to break. When I built my Monster Slash I planned from motor pinion to wheel hex to handle the power I had planned for the rig. You know with mathes. I also planned out my entire suspension geometry to avoid the binding that MIP warns about in the literature that comes with the axles.

    Sometime it is not just as easy as tossing on some axles and calling it a day.

  27. #27
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. olds97_lss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dekalb, IL
    Posts
    3,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    I haven't had a problem running MIP X-Duties on my Slash 4x4. I actually like the weight down low to help lower my center of gravity and added stability it provides.
    Me either on my slampede. I think I've replaced the bearings on the diffs once and I vaguely remember a diff going out on me, but it was due to the bulkhead cracking and then the diff moved around and messed up the mesh. Otherwise, the MIP's haven't "caused" any issues, other than letting me run hard through pack after pack without the sliders snapping off.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

  28. #28
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3
    So... what's your vote: new extreme Heavy-Duty Steel driveshafts or the known XO-1 driveshafts?

    Cu, Etosch

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •