RC poster

Bearing cleaning?

Hello, how often do you guys think I should clean out my bearings? Like once a month or something like that?

RC Champion
    Sure once a month would be good

Better than once every 6 months or a year

Bearings will let you know when it’s time for a new one though

Keep ‘em clean and smooth spinning
    fabricator

RC poster
    Thanks for the quick reply! One question I do have is how would I know when I need to clean the bearings? Like a change in sound or significantly reduced speed?

Thanks, D3x

I check my bearings as they come out of the car for repairing other parts or when I get access to them

I just spin then in my hand. If feels gritty or in any way not smooth, I clean and repack with my marine grease.

I use break cleaner on them after I've pulled the seals.

Rpm bearing blasters and the mega for larger bearings helps makes the cleaning go faster.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I would do the same thing after I get an XMaxx lol, I don’t have one yet but I’m going to buy one soon. I would also clean them after a part breaks and for the once a month cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    I check my bearings as they come out of the car for repairing other parts or when I get access to them

I just spin then in my hand. If feels gritty or in any way not smooth, I clean and repack with my marine grease.

I use break cleaner on them after I've pulled the seals.

Rpm bearing blasters and the mega for larger bearings helps makes the cleaning go faster.
    Acid's giving you good (IMO) advise. The only thing I do differently is I use Kerosene rather than break cleaner.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Racer
    I do a serious cleaning every winter. I do some maintenance as the summer progresses. Diffs mostly half way through. When winter comes I remove all bearings and diffs do a quick clean in a varsol tank then into a ultrasonic cleaner for a couple hours. Then repack with red and tacky. If the bearings still feel tight if they feel loose I chuck them and install new bearings.
    Ultrasonic cleaner works great filled with water and add a ounce of simple green.
    If you guys aren’t using one check them out. Parts come out looking new.
    Control arms and everything in the xmaxx goes into it.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubin View Post
    I do a serious cleaning every winter. I do some maintenance as the summer progresses. Diffs mostly half way through. When winter comes I remove all bearings and diffs do a quick clean in a varsol tank then into a ultrasonic cleaner for a couple hours. Then repack with red and tacky. If the bearings still feel tight if they feel loose I chuck them and install new bearings.
    Ultrasonic cleaner works great filled with water and add a ounce of simple green.
    If you guys aren’t using one check them out. Parts come out looking new.
    Control arms and everything in the xmaxx goes into it.
    how's the red and tacky work for you? i have some loaded in a grease gun for my car. how long do you go before re-packing? not looking to rip apart the truck too often, but i'd like to run it in the warm months and then do a PM in the cold months. also for an ultrasonic cleaner what would you recommend.

RC Racer
    This is the one I bought.
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0148I...b_b_asin_image

I love red and tacky. It’s sticky and doesn’t get easily thrown out of the bearing. Approved and tested by project farm. Clean them then ultrasonic cleaner dry them overnight pack with grease from a small seringe reinstall the seals.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubin View Post
    This is the one I bought.
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B0148I...b_b_asin_image

I love red and tacky. It’s sticky and doesn’t get easily thrown out of the bearing. Approved and tested by project farm. Clean them then ultrasonic cleaner dry them overnight pack with grease from a small seringe reinstall the seals.
    that's the one i was looking at. thanks for the info

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 95blackz26 View Post
    that's the one i was looking at. thanks for the info
    You wonít regret it. Best thing for cleaning everything!!

RC Qualifier
    I just run em till they fail and replace them.

I did buy a ceramic bearing kit for my X. I am planning some major work over the winter and will install them throughout the truck.

With my 4Pede I buy 10 packs on Amazon or EBay of the common sizes. Put them in a little tackle box with labels.

I donít push my truck near as hard as many of the animals in the forums here. I love reading their stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzke View Post

I donít push my truck near as hard as many of the animals in the forums here. I love reading their stories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i don't do super high jumps or anything but like every other r/c i've had i beat on it like it owes me money.. still got most of them. i've had my savage x which is now an xl and brushless for 15yrs. same thing with my txt-1

*Traxxas has a strict language policy and you've used a word that tripped the language filter. Please keep it clean. Thanks!
    Last edited by Double G; 10-10-2020 at 10:00 AM.