New 2200kv motor wire split open?

Hey guys. As some of you know from my previous thread on picking a replacement motor, I grabbed an HPI Flux 2200kv motor off eBay for around 65. Itís been a great motor so far, seems to have more power and torque, and runs cooler than the stock mxl6s motor that came with my truck when it was a V1 Erevo. Anyways, moving on to the thread title.

I was in the middle of installing new cooling fans for the motor and noticed the C motor wire has split, the rubber covering the wire has split open.

Hereís a pic

What would cause it to split? Do you think itís rubbed against the edge of the cooling fins maybe? I have some liquid electrical tape that Iíll use to put a protective coating on, then wrap it with electrical tape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Probably just from normal use, they tend to split like that. It's not something to be worried about. If it happens again i'd try to see if the wire is rubbing on something. Just seal it up and get back to ripping!

RC Racer
    Heat shrink it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketzx1 View Post
    ...What would cause it to split? Do you think itís rubbed against the edge of the cooling fins maybe? I have some liquid electrical tape that Iíll use to put a protective coating on, then wrap it with electrical tape.
    Looks like it took a good hit from an impact against the heatsink (crash) or excessive rubbing against it.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    Probably just from normal use, they tend to split like that. It's not something to be worried about. If it happens again i'd try to see if the wire is rubbing on something. Just seal it up and get back to ripping!
    Having motor wires split from normal use is not common. If it was, there would be issues arising from electrical shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtamu-redux View Post
    Heat shrink it.
    I agree. Much better than tape.

Mine wore through pretty quick on my v1 on the other side. Pretty sure it was from the TRX plugs banging on it as I didn't have them strapped down like I do now. Didn't know any better, was my first electric RC.

Looks like it's either banging into the heat sink or rests on it and impact/vibration split it.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

I covered the expose area of the wire with liquid electrical tape, that stuffs stinks af but works well. I let it dry 15 mins in between coats, put 3 on there and once it dried over night, I put a small amount of electrical tape over it followed by shrink wrap. Call it overkill, but I want to make sure that wire is covered! Lol

I used it on my rustler 2wd 3s motor wires that were exposed and followed up with shrink wrap. Worked well.

Thanks for all your input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk