RC Competitor

Servo 2085X upgrade in the Maxx

Hi, does anybody have any experience with replacing the stock 2090 servo for the 2085X?

I see people in this forum installing it with aluminium steering upgrades etc. but I only have the aluminium turnbuckles and want to keep it stock otherwise.

I know the 2085X itself fits right in, but what about the upgrade servo saver spring and steering link that come with it?

I read the spring doesn’t fit, is it OK to leave the stock servo saver spring with the 2085X?

Should I use the metal steering link or leave the stock plastic steering link?

Also there is some debate about the steel servo horn (8947X), does that work with the metal and/or stock steering link?

Hope I can get all these questions answered, so I can perform the install smoothly... 😊

Thanks in advance! 👍🏻
    Live life to the Traxxas Maxx! 💪🏻

RC Champion
    The upgrade stronger servo saver spring for the Xmaxx will not fit in the Maxx
    The stock Maxx servo saver is sufficient until it gets worn out
    the stock Maxx Servo linkage is stronger than the Xmaxx stock servo linkage
    Aluminum servo horn not needed - would work if wanted
    2087x metal gears in a stock Xmaxx servo is worthy
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyXMAXX View Post
    The upgrade stronger servo saver spring for the Xmaxx will not fit in the Maxx
    The stock Maxx servo saver is sufficient until it gets worn out
    the stock Maxx Servo linkage is stronger than the Xmaxx stock servo linkage
    Aluminum servo horn not needed - would work if wanted
    2087x metal gears in a stock Xmaxx servo is worthy
    Ok, thanks for the reply!

So just install the 2085X and leave the stock servo saver, linkage and horn?

Will try that I think, happy with everything but the performance of the stock servo with my Proline wheels.

If it turns easily and smooth while standing still on any surface with the 2085X I’m happy, the rest of the stock setup has been really reliable so far... time will tell! 😉

RC Champion
    Stock servo saver will feel the same
    Hot Racing aluminum steering servo saver assembly
    Really tightens the steering = excellent performance

Keep it going
    fabricator

RC Competitor
    Installed servo 2085X today, with the included steering link (with turnbuckle). Servo saver spring indeed doesn’t fit on the Maxx.

I was able to neatly trim the steering to zero and align the wheels with my front aluminium toe links and the turnbuckle of the steering link. Servo horn was a bit off centre after trimming, nicely compensated this way.
    Of course TSM was set down to zero while adjusting.
    Adjusted the endpoints also, was necessary too... strained really hard when set to 100%...

Impressed with the performance of the 2085X, way stronger than the stock 2090 servo, speed about the same.

RC poster
    Hey Guido that looks awesome -

I am about to do the same, (installed bigger tyres and instantly screwed the old servo) I have the new servo 2085X sitting here. How difficult was it? I'm going to look for some videos now... Fingers crossed for me haha.

Thanks

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Millasur View Post
    Hey Guido that looks awesome -

I am about to do the same, (installed bigger tyres and instantly screwed the old servo) I have the new servo 2085X sitting here. How difficult was it? I'm going to look for some videos now... Fingers crossed for me haha.

Thanks
    It was pretty easy actually, just take out the 4 screws for the t-shaped piece over the servo and you can take it out.

Of course you need to loosen the steering link (I swapped that out with the included steel link with turnbuckle) from the steering assembly and open the receiver box to swap out the wiring.

Don’t forget to set your steering trim to zero and switch everything on before you put your servo horn onto the new servo, than you can use the turnbuckle to re-align your wheels when the new servo is installed.

And adjust your servo endpoints when you are done, this is explained in several videos on YouTube... having the Bluetooth link is highly recommended for this!
    The Traxxas support video for installing the 2085X is also pretty useful, installing this servo in the Maxx is even easier and the spring doesn’t fit in the Maxx... so you can forget that too!

Good luck!

RC poster
    Thank you, I had a little go last night. TBH I'm not very good at this. Changed it all, but used the old servo link/arm (black thing) and not the new installed one. It sorta fits, badly. - wheels were quite far off center.)

I will have to retry with the included silver and black one later.

I find the screws so confusing, never know if I'm using the right one for the right hole!

Thank you

Thank you, I had a little go last night. TBH I'm not very good at this. Changed it all, but used the old servo link/arm (black thing) and not the new installed one. It sorta fits, badly. - wheels were quite far off center.)

I find the screws so confusing, never know if I'm using the right one for the right hole!

Thank you
    Hi Millasur;

Traxxas had published this screw identification chart and is very helpful on reassembly. You just have to watch the screw lengths after you have identified the screw from the chart by its abbreviation and supplied documentation with your vehicle:

Hope that helps you some until you become more familiar with where each screw goes after tearing it down a couple of times.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

RC Competitor

Thank you
    I sometimes forget that what’s easy for me (as a professional car mechanic/electrician and long time R/C enthousiast) is difficult for others.

Great thing with R/C is everyone can learn, which exactly is what you are doing now!

When the wheels are far off centre with the standard steering link you should try to first switch on transmitter and car and see if the servo horn is pointing straight up or not. Trim on the transmitter should be set in the middle (zero). If it’s way off you could try to reposition the horn so the wheels are closer to the centre position. If still slightly off you can adjust with the transmitter trim.

The metal link gives you some extra adjustability, but is not necessary just like the adjustable toe-links.
    I used both to get my Maxx running straight with trim set to zero, which is basically just a ‘thing’ in my head...

The base is your steering trim and servo horn position, get these 2 right and you’ll be fine!

As far as the screws are concerned, I like to put them back in the holes they come out when the part I wanted to disassemble is out or put them in the disassembled part so you can’t switch them out.
    You can also google for the exploded views of the Maxx if you have doubts somewhere, you’ll be able to see which screw belongs where.
    For example a 3x18 screw is 3mm ‘wide’ and 18 mm ‘long’.

Figuring things out is part of the hobby, you’ll feel proud of yourself when you get it working and will have acquired new ‘skills’... now how cool is that?

Good luck!

RC poster
    Thanks @flux capacitor and @GuidoS79.

That screw chart will be amazing useful, I think I should just buy loads of screws so I have them.

Guido, I suck lol but no issue. It's frustrating. But learning. A story you may enjoy was that I was playing with the super strong servo, and just aligning and what not - I was checking something as moving in the front and the angle must have been bad because I managed to snap a front driveshaft just getting it hooked up... Having a little bad luck with this thing.

So now I'm onto videos about Steel driveshaft installation and these are apparently the parts I require -

PARTS USED
    Steel CV Driveshafts (8950X)- https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8950
    Steel Spur Gear (6448R)- https://traxxas.com/products/parts/6448R
    17mm Wheel Hex Hubs / Blue (8654)- https://traxxas.com/products/parts/8654
    17mm Wheel Nuts / Blue (7758)- https://traxxas.com/products/parts/7758
    Pit Mat (3426)- https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3426
    Metric Tool Set (8710)

(Don't think you can post youtube links but it's

- Driveline Options! CV Driveshafts, Metal Spur & More - Project Traxxas Maxx Build Part 5 | RC Driver) - by channel RCDriver_Online

Also, what drill can I get? On lots of people's videos it's REALLY easy for them to take the hex screws out because they use a drill - most of my time is spent trying to manually do and undo screws and turning the allen keys lol.

It would be good if there was more easy to find info on exactly what bits you need - I don't really want to buy all those parts but I do want it to work and run good lol because otherwise it'll just lead to something else breaking. I gotta have it running for Xmas! I'll make it work. haha. Thanks for your help it's appreciated!
    Last edited by Millasur; 10-26-2020 at 07:47 PM.

RC poster
    Boom! parts on order, and servo is installed

have

8996X - metal driveshafts (long) (4 in pack)
    8654A - orange wheel hubs

Coming. and then we'll be good to goooooo

RC Racer
    I got a set of allen keys with screwdriver handles and they are amazing. Regular Allen keys are awful to use and drills scare me. Too easy to strip your plastics with a drill if you're not careful.

You can buy stainless steel screw sets from RCScrewz that are specifically for your truck. A good investment for around 50 bucks. They dont rust like the stock screws and strip out way less. I think i paid $54 CAD from memory for mine. the kit includes every screw in your entire truck plus a bunch of extras and spare wheels nuts etc.

RC Racer
    Quick amazon search brings it up.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by MysterE View Post
    I got a set of allen keys with screwdriver handles and they are amazing. Regular Allen keys are awful to use and drills scare me. Too easy to strip your plastics with a drill if you're not careful.

You can buy stainless steel screw sets from RCScrewz that are specifically for your truck. A good investment for around 50 bucks. They dont rust like the stock screws and strip out way less. I think i paid $54 CAD from memory for mine. the kit includes every screw in your entire truck plus a bunch of extras and spare wheels nuts etc.

Thanks mate. Will find equiv, in NZ we dont get ebay lol (nor amazon)