RC Competitor

Keep stripping spur gear....

So I had a spur gear go bad. Installed a new one and it happened almost instantly. I知 not sure why or what might have caused it. Is there anything that is different with the slipper clutch? I知 at a total loss why this is hspppening. Any help is appreciated.

Check if anything is wrong with the pinion gear, or if something is stuck in the gear compartment. It can also be caused by drivetrain binding.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

I had to clean chunks of spur gear out of the pinion teeth... Could be someone similar. Also I found a bad wheel bearing on mine, I think that's what killed my gear. Make sure the driveline spins freely.

Rustler 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    If you slowly kill a spur gear what happens is that the front face of the pinion cogs get worn.
    The wear changes the pitch of the cogs, but works because it matches pitch with the worn in spur.
    Eventually it gets loose enough to strip it out. So you pop in a new spur gear...
    The old pinion doesn稚 mesh properly with the fresh new perfect 48 pitch spur.
    Close inspection of the pinion is recommended at every spur change.
    Every time I blow a spur quickly, I automatically change out the pinion.
    Also check your top shaft bearing. If worn, excessive play in the shaft will kill spurs too!

Quote Originally Posted by Craigeoh View Post
    So I had a spur gear go bad. Installed a new one and it happened almost instantly. I知 not sure why or what might have caused it. Is there anything that is different with the slipper clutch? I知 at a total loss why this is hspppening. Any help is appreciated.
    Just curious, but, what material is your spur gear? Same question for the pinion. Reason for asking is, if they're different materials, depending on what materials, that could be the cause...or, at least, part of the cause. If, for example, you've replaced the stock pinion with a hardened steel, or hardened aluminum, but the spur is still the stock plastic, that would cause that.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Competitor
    A hardened pinion gear would wear the spur more quickly but shouldnt just immediately tear it up. I run robenson racing extra hard pinion and hardened spur, they hold up to some serious abuse.
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX

RC Competitor
    Thanks for all the info. I’ll check the spur gear as well as the bearings. Also going to purchase a new pinion gear today as well.

RC Qualifier
    Getting the gear mesh right is your next step. Setting things to loose or to tight will kill a spur too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrz13 View Post
    A hardened pinion gear would wear the spur more quickly but shouldnt just immediately tear it up. I run robenson racing extra hard pinion and hardened spur, they hold up to some serious abuse.
    On one of my Rustys (only because the other, as well as my Sl4sh, aren't finished being upgraded), I'm using RR hardened steel on both.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

There are so many reasons for your spur gear stripping, I don't know how long you've been in the hobby but experience usually allows you to evaluate problems like this better. A lot of the people on these forums could diagnose your problem in a heartbeat if they could get a hold of your car.

I wish you the best of luck in solving the problem at hand

Something is moving...motor mount, mount bearing, slipper adapter,etc. If you still have all the stock plastic stuff that's where I'd start looking. I run 1/8th scale power on 3s and 4s in my Slash 4x4 with a King Headz mount and aluminum slipper adapter and Revo slipper. I run stock style pinions and plastic spurs without issue. Good luck!

https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/Ru...ssion-Assembly
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcuda69 View Post
    Something is moving...motor mount, mount bearing, slipper adapter,etc. If you still have all the stock plastic stuff that's where I'd start looking. I run 1/8th scale power on 3s and 4s in my Slash 4x4 with a King Headz mount and aluminum slipper adapter and Revo slipper. I run stock style pinions and plastic spurs without issue. Good luck!

https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/Ru...ssion-Assembly

Pinion gear was loose. I was stupid and forgot to check when I changed the spur gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Craigeoh View Post

Pinion gear was loose. I was stupid and forgot to check when I changed the spur gear.
    Glad ya figured it out! If you haven't already, look into some GOOD hex drivers. They'll help you get those small grubs tight without stripping them. I like MIP. Have fun!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Competitor
    +1 orange locktight holds stronger than blue on screws that vibrate loose
    Rustler 4x4 powered by MambaX