Rustler 4x4 Brushless Upgrade Question

I bought the stock 4x4 rustler and put my vxl 3s system in it. I have some higher gears on the way cause it probably tops out at like 15 to 20mph right now.. The standing backflips are pretty cool though. I had to try that.

Anyways, I noticed while reading through the manual that traxxas recommends buying the harder differential gears.

Is this something i should look into? They're 40$ each and i dont really want to tear into it the drivetrain or spend the money if its not really necessary. Thanks all.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    The differential gears that they are talking about are a different gear ratio from the stock ones. Getting the new gears will make you go faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Aver View Post
    The differential gears that they are talking about are a different gear ratio from the stock ones. Getting the new gears will make you go faster.

So they're made with the same metal but just a different ratio? Just to utilize the 3s system.

Its pretty sluggish the way it is now for sure. But i have different spur and pinion gears on the way so ill try that and see where that gets me first.

RC Competitor
    Yeah Iím pretty sure thatís the case. The regular rustler 4x4 has a ten tooth pinion and the vxl has a 11 tooth pinion so itís not that much of a difference but it is some.

Quote Originally Posted by Aver View Post
    Yeah Iím pretty sure thatís the case. The regular rustler 4x4 has a ten tooth pinion and the vxl has a 11 tooth pinion so itís not that much of a difference but it is some.

Thank you. I just thought of something else. I have the tsm system for my slash. I know the vxl rustler comes with tsm and the self righting feature.

Would i have self righting if I put my tsm system in my rustler?

RC Competitor
    I donít know about that. I bought a slash platinum from my friend for cheap then switched all of the upgrade parts from the slash to the rustler then sold the slash. I didnít get the tsm because the slash platinum doesnít come with a Traxxas radio system so I donít know if your tqi system will have self righting. If you wanted you could get another tqi reviver, the kind from the rustler vxl, and put it in the rustler. You could then use your tqi radio system to control both cars. You might not want that but you would probably have self righting then

The regular differential gears (ring and pinion of brushless or brushed) should cost around $15-$20. I think what you were looking at was the spiral cut ring and pinion that comes standard on the X0-1. Spiral cut means the bevels of the gear are cut in a spiral pattern. It's not that noticeable on the Traxxas gear, but if you look closely, they have a slight curve to it:

Spiral cut gears are stronger, since having the curve increases the surface area of contact between the bears (spreads out the force more), they also give off less vibrations due to their increased precision.

Since your diffs are new, I wouldn't change them out, since it doesn't really affect performance much. However, if you are having issues with stripping out diff gears, then it would probably be worth it.

For the self-right feature, (I think) you have to program it to do that (I'm not 100% sure).
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    Thank you. I just thought of something else. I have the tsm system for my slash. I know the vxl rustler comes with tsm and the self righting feature.

Would i have self righting if I put my tsm system in my rustler?

Don't be too excited about the self righting feature. It's notorious for destroying gears. I would recommend not ever using it.

Rustler 4x4 VXL

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    The regular differential gears (ring and pinion of brushless or brushed) should cost around $15-$20. I think what you were looking at was the spiral cut ring and pinion that comes standard on the X0-1. Spiral cut means the bevels of the gear are cut in a spiral pattern. It's not that noticeable on the Traxxas gear, but if you look closely, they have a slight curve to it:

Spiral cut gears are stronger, since having the curve increases the surface area of contact between the bears (spreads out the force more), they also give off less vibrations due to their increased precision.

Since your diffs are new, I wouldn't change them out, since it doesn't really affect performance much. However, if you are having issues with stripping out diff gears, then it would probably be worth it.

For the self-right feature, (I think) you have to program it to do that (I'm not 100% sure).
    You are right. I was looking at the spiral gears. Thank you. Ill stick with the stock gears until a change is a must.

Not that you said they aren't, but I believe the traxxas website said those gears were compatible with the rustler 4x4. Im not sure what the difference would be, but I figured id just throw that out there.

As for self righting, I dont mind going over and flipping over my truck if i need to. But i was just wondering about the self righting thing cause it's the same as whats in my slash. Thank you guys.

RC Competitor
    Of course. Have fun!!

The brushed diffs have a different tooth count vs the VXL model diffs. You have a brushed model and so your gear ratio is lower.

Just grab 2 VXL diffs off eBay. They can be slash 4x4 VXL diffs, stampede 4x4 VXL diffs, rustler 4x4 VXL diffs. All the same. Easiest and cheapest way to upgrade your rustler 4x4 to VXL spec. I spent 30 for 2 VXL diffs.

Perfect. Thank you. Im going to look into those diffs for sure.

I upgraded to a 19 tooth gear and i got the speed i was looking for haha. I havent really drivin it that way yet but tomorrow during the day im going to and ill check temps. Shouldnt been tooo bad. I hope amyways.