RC Competitor

Best way to get started in LiPo

I really want to get some sort of 3s lipo for my slash 4x4 (converted to VXL), but there are so many connectors and chargers and brands. I think I'm gonna go with a 5200 mah 75c smc pack
    (https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php...rice&order=ASC), but I don't know about chargers. I'd like to be able to use the NiMh that originally came with my truck (it has a iD connector), but I don't love the proprietary-ness of the traxxas batteries. Would I be able to switch the iD connector (on the NiMh and slash) to something like XT90 and get a charger that could charge the LiPo and NiMh?
    Thanks for reading my wall of text!

Quote Originally Posted by EclipseMantis View Post
    I really want to get some sort of 3s lipo for my slash 4x4 (converted to VXL), but there are so many connectors and chargers and brands. I think I'm gonna go with a 5200 mah 75c smc pack
    (https://www.smc-racing.com/index.php...rice&order=ASC), but I don't know about chargers. I'd like to be able to use the NiMh that originally came with my truck (it has a iD connector), but I don't love the proprietary-ness of the traxxas batteries. Would I be able to switch the iD connector (on the NiMh and slash) to something like XT90 and get a charger that could charge the LiPo and NiMh?
    Thanks for reading my wall of text!
    The Traxxas Id chargers will charge non id batteries. I have the 4a charger and once I'd the SMC batteries. Charges no problem. On mine there's a cover for the balance plug on the charger. Just get an old Traxxas style plug on the new battery an it will also plug into the id plug.

Rustler 4x4 VXL

If I were to get another charger, I'd get the Venom Duo Pro: https://www.amainhobbies.com/venom-p...nr0685/p468689

You can change the charge lead (it comes included with a bunch of different connectors) for it to be compatible with different connectors, and it can charge 2 batteries at the same time independently. There's a whole bunch of other stuff that the EZ Peak Plus doesn't have (my charger). Also, I think there is a safety feature on the Venom Duo Pro that verifies the information that you give about the battery, so the battery doesn't get overcharged or anything, so it should be pretty safe.

I currently have the EZ Peak Plus. It's not a bad charger, but adjustability is a little limited with it.
    Last edited by RCWilly; 10-11-2020 at 08:50 PM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Competitor
    I'd like to go ahead and switch to some other connector, just to avoid a headache later. I've heard good things about the Venom charger, but the reviews say that the fan dies pretty frequently. Anyone have the Hitec dual charger? it's about the same price, a bit more powerful, and has better reviews.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/hitec-x...c44270/p696435

What connector would I need/want? For the time being, I'm only using 3s, but I don't know how long it'll be until I get a 4 or 6s car. Will ec3/xt60 plugs be good for that or should I go to the beefier counterparts?

Thanks!
    Last edited by EclipseMantis; 10-12-2020 at 11:06 PM.

If you dont want to screw with the different connectors, just stay with smc. I use them. Theyre great batteries and they aren't super expensive.

When you buy them, you get an option to choose what connector type you want. I think it was the "t-style" connector that works with traxxas plugs. I contacted their customer service and they got back to me in a matter of hours.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

I'd like to go ahead and switch to some other connector, just to avoid a headache later. I've heard good things about the Venom charger, but the reviews say that the fan dies pretty frequently. Anyone have the Hitec dual charger? it's about the same price, a bit more powerful, and has better reviews.

What connector would I need/want? For the time being, I'm only using 3s, but I don't know how long it'll be until I get a 4 or 6s car. Will ec3/xt60 plugs be good for that or should I go to the beefier counterparts?

Thanks!
    I have that same charger - not the black edition though - and its worked fantastic for the past five years or so. Mine came with a charging octopus that has the Traxxas plug, receiver battery plug, glow ignitor adapter and a few other plugs and I bought a second for the other output. Had someone made a DC power source so that I can get full power on both outputs.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Would I be able to switch the iD connector (on the NiMh and slash) to something like XT90 and get a charger that could charge the LiPo and NiMh?
    Just remember that removing the Traxxas connector voids the warrenty, so if you care about that then I'd just keep it on. I personally keep the ID connectors on all of my vehicles and buy my batteries around the Traxxas connector.

You can find tons of batteries online that come with it, I have a pretty nice charger (not traxxas) that has two ID connectors and ballancing connectors. I have one traxxas battery that I can't even charge because of the weird balancing system that Traxxas uses and I don't want to spend 50 bucks on a Traxxas brand charger.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    If you dont want to screw with the different connectors, just stay with smc. I use them. Theyre great batteries and they aren't super expensive.

When you buy them, you get an option to choose what connector type you want. I think it was the "t-style" connector that works with traxxas plugs. I contacted their customer service and they got back to me in a matter of hours.

The T-Style connector is also known as the Deans, it's a T-style because the two flat tabs are perpendicular to each other. The Traxxas connector on the other hand have two parallel tabs, so it won't fit.

T-style / deans:

Traxxas:

The connectors that work with the newer Traxxas ID connector is the Traxxas gen 1 connector.

Also, to make a Traxxas ID battery compatible with a non-traxxas charger, you just need an adapter that separates the balancing wires and the main connector: https://www.ebay.com/itm/182846372729
    Last edited by RCWilly; 10-13-2020 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    The T-Style connector is also known as the Deans, it's a T-style because the two flat tabs are perpendicular to each other. The Traxxas connector on the other hand have two parallel tabs, so it won't fit.

T-style / deans:

Traxxas:

The connectors that work with the newer Traxxas ID connector is the Traxxas gen 1 connector.

Also, to make a Traxxas ID battery compatible with a non-traxxas charger, you just need an adapter that separates the balancing wires and the main connector: https://www.ebay.com/itm/182846372729
    Yes the gen 1 connector... Sorry about any confusion.

RC Enthusiast
    I find a charger with ports on it is the ideal setup. That way you just swap pigtails for the battery your charging. I mainly run xt90ís and 60ís on everything but my traxxas stuff. I keep them traxxas. Mainly cause I have a few id batteries. I do have the adapters like in the pic above. This is the charger Iíve been using for a few years now and itís a beast. And my collection of pigtails for it. Also the octopus mess that was mentioned earlier for any other odd ball battery I might run across

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier

Thanks!
    I use a hitec single charger. It has worker great for me so far. You also need to also storage charge lipos for them to be safe. Here is a link to my thread when I started using lipos. https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...po-please-help!

Running lipos has a lot more runtime and power! It's awesome and you can get some for pretty cheap.

Yes, LiPos can be pretty cheap (you can get two 2s 5000mah LiPos for around $30 on Amazon it's $24 now that it's Prime Day). As long as you have a good, accurate charger, accurate low voltage detection on the ESC, and put the LiPos in storage mode when you won't use them for more than a day, using cheap LiPos won't be an issue. Almost all the LiPo fires are caused by manual error or ignorance, and rarely battery quality. Also, if you see any of them starting to puff up or have signs of damage (ripped sheaths / large dents), you can bring it to your local hobby shop or recycling station.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    I don't want to deal with different connectors, but I kinda want an Arrma Typhon (can I say that?), and so I don't want to find TRX connectors to solder on and that whole headache.

I think I might go with this charger instead:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/hitec-r...44299/p1175312
    I know it's a bit less powerful, but I'm using an ac supply, so I doubt it'll be much worse. I'll just adapt the connectors to xt90s.

Last question, I (don't) promise!

What's a good lipo bag? The Bat-Safe gets good reviews, but it's a bit pricey!
    Thanks so much for your help!
    ꜱʟᴀꜱʜ 4x4 ᴄᴏɴᴠᴇʀᴛᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴠxʟ

RC Qualifier
    I don't want to deal with different connectors, but I kinda want an Arrma Typhon (can I say that?), and so I don't want to find TRX connectors to solder on and that whole headache.

I think I might go with this charger instead:
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/hitec-r...44299/p1175312
    I know it's a bit less powerful, but I'm using an ac supply, so I doubt it'll be much worse. I'll just adapt the connectors to xt90s.

Last question, I (don't) promise!

What's a good lipo bag? The Bat-Safe gets good reviews, but it's a bit pricey!
    Thanks so much for your help!
    I think it's fine to say you want an arrma. I just use a lipo storage bag I got off amazon for $10-15.

RC Competitor
    Okay, I just got everything except the battery today (it's backordered ), and WOW! It's so much better than my RTR charger! I won't be able to solder on the XT90s until this weekend, but I've already started programming it. I noticed 3 settings that I'm not sure what to set to. The first is "D. Peak". I've got no idea what that means. Also, I can go anywhere between 1 and 5 amps. I think 1c is 3 amps (?), but the traxxas charger is 4 amps, I think. What do you guys charge NiMHs at? I can set it to trickle charge once it's done charging. Why?? Finally, is re-peaking something I should regularly do?

If it matters, it's 3000 mah, 7 cell.

Thanks for the help!!
    ꜱʟᴀꜱʜ 4x4 ᴄᴏɴᴠᴇʀᴛᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ᴠxʟ