RC Racer

Question Open Wheel v.s. Closed Wheel Bodies?

Hi guys,

I am looking at either a Proline Monster Fusion Body or a JConcepts BAJR Body trimmed like The WAR BAJR II. Which one would be better for bashing? (jumps, rollovers, etc.). Would the type of body affect durability? Also would they jump different?

For jumps, I would say open wheel is better, since there is less are drag. Also, since the open wheel bodies are smaller, they have better structural integrity, so they will be more durable.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Competitor
    Closed wheel bodies are definitely better for durability, since the tires and suspension components are protected from impacts a bit better. Most SC style bodies won't jump as well because air gets caught under them, but the Proline body has vents, so I doubt it would be a big difference.

Edit: Didn't see the other post.

I guess open wheel bodies would be better for the body's durability, but not the suspension.
    Last edited by EclipseMantis; 10-11-2020 at 10:49 PM.

This video may help you decide:

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Here’s another one of his:

Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Racer
    Ok. if I were to have bigger tires, would the suspension get hurt more with an open wheel body vs a closed wheel body in rollovers

Quote Originally Posted by Invincibl View Post
    Ok. if I were to have bigger tires, would the suspension get hurt more with an open wheel body vs a closed wheel body in rollovers
    Not really. Most of the time your suspension gets damaged it is from hitting something head on.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I would say open-wheeled and close-wheeled are both equally durable in both rollovers and direct impacts. In most cases, body types don't make much of a difference. At high speeds, the suspension arms will break regardless of what body it has due to more kinetic energy, and the closed-wheel body would also get damaged if it had one. At low speeds, the suspension arms are strong enough, so having the body isn't much of an added protection. However, having a closed-wheel body would provide more protection for the servo since the wheels are partially shielded by the body.

About the tires, having larger tires add more mass, so it provides more inertial energy during impact, but unless the tires are huge, it shouldn't make too much of a difference.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    I feel that a closed wheel body is better for being able to roll back on its tires after tipping over since it's kind of like a dome. This is just from my personal experience. Not sure if this is actually the case.

Quote Originally Posted by sebbris View Post
    I feel that a closed wheel body is better for being able to roll back on its tires after tipping over since it's kind of like a dome. This is just from my personal experience. Not sure if this is actually the case.
    Depends on the body, really. THe BJAR body has that high scoop feature on it that helps keep the truck from turtling.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Maybe you should just choose the one you like the look of more if you can't decide.

I have been running open wheeled for quite awhile. I went open wheel to protect the much weaker body from damage.

RC Champion
    Open wheel! The BAJR body is my go to basher. I got the idea from Dr. Isotope himself back when Ultimate RC was still around. This is my favorite basher truck. So much fun!

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk