IT WORKED!!! ... but not really (FPV attempt)

Traxxalu inspired me to do this

I watched several of his FPV videos and thought it's an awesome idea. ... So I tried to see what I can do (with the stuff that I had). A couple of years back, I had a NewBright Dashcam Jeep (toygrade) that had an FPV system (not great, but works). It can connect to an app (on a smartphone) that can take videos pictures and stuff with the FPV camera. I was able to find the car, but I think I lost the battery for it, so I just completely ditched the battery thing and rewired the circuit board to get power from the receiver (of my Slash 4x4).

It originally had a 9.6V Lithium Ion battery, and now it's running off of 6V from the receiver, so I never expected anything to work. To my big surprise, that camera actually turned on! And it somehow was able to connect to the app too!

I'm able to record and stuff, but the range of it is just a few feet, so that kind of just loses the point of having an FPV system. But still, I'm able to record with the phone attached to the car. The video is pretty bad quality, and it's on the verge of being black and white, so it'd probably make more sense to get an actual FPV system.

Here's a few pics of my contraption (the camera is just secured on with tape lol):

[img]https://i.imgur.com/snimG***.jpg[/img]

I will probably start on getting an FPV system (a legit one), so if anyone has any recommendations for a beginner FPV system, I would really appreciate it!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Following thread.

I was thinking of getting a setup for my Summit. I don't know anything about building a FPV. I think it would be loads of fun using it around my yard.

RC Racer
    it wouldn't be hard to mount an fpv drone camera on a traxxas, wire it up to a vtx and either run that off the 5v provided by an extra port in your receiver or you could splice into your esc bec.

Yeah, I was thinking of something that can go in one of my cars that I can transfer around. So after some more research, I think only 3 main things are needed for a basic FPV system: a camera, a transmitter (that connects to the camera), and a receiver. How it works is that the camera captures footage, which is connected to the transmitter that sends the signal to the receiver/moniter.

The camera and transmitter can just be powered by the receiver of the car (probably the best option, since it lasts until the whole car dies, and there are less wires and stuff).

On Amazon, I am able to find some cheap 2 in 1 camera/transmitters, and a receiver that can connect to a smartphone. I know it works for live footage, but I'm not sure if it will work for recording (maybe depends on the app). I am still researching and learning, so it may or may not work (hopefully someone with more experience can chime in).

2 in 1 camera/transmitter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...B7APVMLY&psc=1

Receiver for smartphone: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OW49KP0W&psc=1

Sounds like a great project! Keep it up!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Sounds like a great project! Keep it up!
    Thanks! I'll keep you guys updated

I just also realized that the camera wire is a bit too short, so a servo extension cable will also be needed:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...VF42HLXA&psc=1

Note: the smartphone receiver posted above only works for Android phones (I have a Pixel 3a), so if you have an iPhone or ios, it won't work.
    Last edited by RCWilly; 10-12-2020 at 02:01 PM.

The new FPV camera and receiver will arrive on Friday. While I'm waiting, I guess I'll see what I can do with the camera that I currently have. I don't know how, but today the camera's a little bit better than yesterday. The color is more vibrant (maybe it's brighter outside), and the range it around 3-4 meters. The latency is very bad, and the delay makes it almost undriveable at high speeds (quarter throttle at most). Crashed several times, but it was very interesting and fun to see it working. Hopefully the new stuff will make it even better

RC Competitor
    My FPV gear is pretty darn fast. I use it to freestyle fly quadcopters in tight spaces going fast.
    The limitation will likely be in video transmission as current FPV gear is supposed to be above you. The ground will kill a good portion of your video transmission. When I fly, if I start to loose video I climb very fast to regain my video link. I cant do this on the ground so good line of sight is important to the link. I have not had a chance to try a digital setup yet.. I've been playing with 3D printing camera mounts for my xmaxx

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Id like to FPV my TRX-4. Ive got all the parts and pieces. I think youd have to use a 900mhz crossfire type system to really get good range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info!

I think my Slash 4x4 will be my primary FPV car, but I think the clear windows on my Bronco would also be perfect for FPV. Always wanted to know what fpv is like to drive on a steep incline.

Also got a Radiolink transmitter, since it's $16 off on Amazon (prime day), and the range of it is 600m

Everything arrived today (including the transmitter)!

Time to switch this:

To this:

Here's the specs of what I have:
    - Camera and Transmitter (cheap 2-in-1s will also work): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Phone receiver (to connect to phone; I think you can also get goggles, but I have glasses, which is why I am just using the phone as a display screen):
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

- Android phone (Google Pixel 3a)

- FPViewer App (free on android phones, I'm assuming IOS also has one but I'm not entirely certain)

I will add detailed instructions once I learn how to set it up.

Edit: Actually, I think the title of this thread is a little misleading for people looking for this type of information. I think I will create a new thread (with an easy to tell name), and transfer all the useful info there. I'll post a link to the new thread.
    Last edited by RCWilly; 10-15-2020 at 09:25 PM.

Took me way too long to make it work lol
    The minimum voltage needed for the camera and transmitter was 7V (12V max), and I was plugging it into the receiver, which outputs 6V. (That's what I got stuck so long on) Since I don't have a BEC or any lead coming directly from the battery, I can't run it on my Slash 4x4 (just need a connector), but I was able to make it work on my TRX-4 (the JST plug from the XL-5 HV ESC directly feeds power from the battery).

To set it up, it's actually really simple. Just plug the transmitter and camera in the car. Then plug the receiver into the phone with the FPViewer app open. To make them connect together, simply just press and hold the red button on the transmitter, and it would just autosearch the transmitter, and it should connect within 30s.

Once it works, I attached the camera to the mount it came with, and used double-sided tape to tape it on top of the servo of my TRX-4 (ran it without the body, only temporary)

I have yet to test the range (will probably do that tomorrow), but I think it shouldn't be too bad. I will try to record a video of the FPV tomorrow as well (yes, the FPViewer app has that function).

You could always add a small 2S LiPo battery in your slash, and tap the power there. That would give you 8.4v.
    Last edited by NitroBugg; 10-16-2020 at 04:47 PM.

What's the latency like to the android screen? Just curious if it'd delayed that bad. I kind of wanted to rig something up for my scx24 to run around the house with it, but didn't want to commit to the cost of goggles and whatnot for something I'll likely use 3 times a year. lol!
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

The latency shouldn't be an issue for a small crawler. It does fine with my TRX-4, but there is a bit of lag if you are going faster than 10-15 mph, so it probably wouldn't be great for higher speed vehicles. Several things to consider though, the antennae of the transmitter is kinda big(ish) and bulky for a smaller scale car, so you may want to get the 2-in-1 camera/transmitter (something like this:https://www.amazon.com/Wolfwhoop-WT0...3053986&sr=8-3) instead of them separate.

Also, the transmitter heats up pretty fast, so you may want to get a fan or something for it. I left it on for about half an hour, and it gets hot enough to burn you if you touch it (learned it the hard way lol). I am temporarily using ice cubes to cool it down (in a Ziploc bag).

Another thing to keep in mind is the minimum running voltage of the transmitter and camera. The one I have runs on 7V minimum, so for an SCX24, you may want to get one that runs on 5V or less so that you don't have to get a large battery for it.

Another thing (I know I've said this several times, but just want to make sure I can give you guys all the info I know) is that the links that I posted are by no means the best deal, I am fairly certain that Bangood has this type of stuff for way cheaper, so you might want to check that out as well.

There are also several apps that are compatible with the receiver: FPViewer, GoFPV, and PokeFPV (all of them are free). I've only tried FPViewer so far, and you can record and stuff like that, but I'm not sure where the recording goes after (probably have to figure that out). I will probably try GoFPV and PokeFPV as well, and report back to you guys of the pros and cons of each one.