Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    39

    Performance RWD Rustler

    This is where I will put updates and also ask for help or advice. I plan to take my old XL-5 Rustler and turn it into a high performance racer. Some things i have done so far are a velineon power system, a 2S 7.4V 70C battery, Aluminum caster blocks, Six-Pack tires, a Metal gear servo, and thicker slash 4x4 driveshafts.

    My next upgrade is aluminum axle carriers and hubs with bearings instead of the stock bushings. This is a requirement because the old steering blocks snapped and the bushings allow upwards of 2 degrees of play in every direction. I also plan to add a gyro and figure out how to make active aero in every corner. But before that I want to find a way to mount my motor somewhere before the rear tires. Does anybody have any good ideas of how to do that?
    https://imgur.com/bDwJzAS

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier GotNoRice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by AmateurRCDriver View Post
    I want to find a way to mount my motor somewhere before the rear tires. Does anybody have any good ideas of how to do that?
    That seems a bit extreme. If you are going to make such severe modifications to this old platform, maybe you should take a different approach and simply use a newer platform instead. For example, build a stadium truck based on the Rustler 4x4 platform. If you are limited to 2wd due to racing rules, then all you have to do is not install the center drive-shaft, the front-diff, and the front CVDs. That makes it 2wd, cuts down on the weight, and the motor will be closer to center without any mods required.

  3. #3
    RC Qualifier RCWilly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    California Bay Area
    Posts
    779
    To get the motor in front of the rear axle, you can flip the rear transmission around, but that would cause a whole bunch of other issues. I think GotNoRice has a good point on this one.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    4,809
    There’s a company who makes this, Chuck works or something like that, they make a mid motor conversion.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    There’s a company who makes this, Chuck works or something like that, they make a mid motor conversion.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those look cool but a bit expensive. May have to do that. Or find a way to fabricate something.

  6. #6
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    That seems a bit extreme. If you are going to make such severe modifications to this old platform, maybe you should take a different approach and simply use a newer platform instead. For example, build a stadium truck based on the Rustler 4x4 platform. If you are limited to 2wd due to racing rules, then all you have to do is not install the center drive-shaft, the front-diff, and the front CVDs. That makes it 2wd, cuts down on the weight, and the motor will be closer to center without any mods required.
    I dont want to buy a whole new car when I have a 2wd rustler right here.

  7. #7
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    To get the motor in front of the rear axle, you can flip the rear transmission around, but that would cause a whole bunch of other issues. I think GotNoRice has a good point on this one.
    Doing that may be a good idea but I also see all the issues it would present. Maybe its still possible.

  8. #8
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    not in an ocean
    Posts
    254
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    That seems a bit extreme. If you are going to make such severe modifications to this old platform, maybe you should take a different approach and simply use a newer platform instead. For example, build a stadium truck based on the Rustler 4x4 platform. If you are limited to 2wd due to racing rules, then all you have to do is not install the center drive-shaft, the front-diff, and the front CVDs. That makes it 2wd, cuts down on the weight, and the motor will be closer to center without any mods required.
    I second this. The rustler 4x4 chassis is better for that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •