Thread: Racing stampede

RC poster

Racing stampede

Hello Traxxas forums,

I am planning to race my stampede vxl 2wd this season at an indoor dirt track. The first race is in a couple weeks. The truck is moderately modified with aluminum front shocktower, casterblocks, steering knuckles, and front bulkhead. I am running a castle sidewinder 3 esc with the traxxas velenion 3500kv motor.
    proline trencher tires on 3s lipo. other than that the truck is completely stock. anyone have any tips I should know before racing? This will be my first ever real race. I've been to indoor tracks before on practice days but never to an actual race. Any tips are appreciated. Also I'm gonna be racing it in a mod stampede class and a novice class.

I think a great upgrade would be the Hot Racing Sealed differential. That way, it allows you to use diff oil, making it handle more consistently. If you didn't change out the tires, I strongly recommend you to do so. See what others are running at the track, and pick one that suits your driving style the best.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    I did some more asking yesterday and for the points season I will need to have some kind of puller style tire. such as proline mashers. The sealed diff is a good idea as well. I currently have Proline trenchers all the way around which i can run for the very first race because its not a benefits race.

RC Champion
    What kind of surfaces are you running on?

Might be worth looking at some version of the Badlands instead of the Trencher, Id also look at
    Lowering the body as much as you can using the adjustable mounts for the Monster Jam trucks.
    Last edited by bjoehandley; 10-13-2020 at 07:04 PM.
    https://www.instagram.com/greenjeep1998/?hl=en

RC poster
    It is a mix of hard packed dirt and clay

RC poster
    This follow up was long overdue lol. For my first actual race i'd say I did pretty good. I raced in novice class. there were a total of 3 races for us in the novice class at this particular track. The first was a seeding round. I finished 5th out of 10. The 4 drivers ahead of me were driving buggies and seemed to have more racing experience than I did. My second round was a qualifier round, this was the worst of my 3 rounds due to the fact that on like my second lap of the race my truck way understeered into the first corner coming off a long straight and I crashed right into the barrier breaking my servo saver which put me out of that round. I got it fixed as I had spare parts before the next and last round. The last round which was the main was my best round yet. in which I finished 4th out of 10 and almost secured 3rd. The biggest thing that was fighting me the whole time was my worn rear tires because I couldn't put my power down so I had to drive slower than I actually could. Something big I noticed was to take it easy through the very first turn in the race because there is usually a huge wreck. the next race is coming up December 19 2020 the last few races have been cancelled because of blasted corona virus. Its looking promising though

Racing a stampede for real must be tough. I have driven my stampede on hard pack clay track before, too. It is nice to see an active thread on the stampede forum though. It seems to be quite quiet these days. Would you be willing to post some pics of your truck?
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

Out of interest, does the low cg chassis for the Slash 2wd work?
    𝘚𝘓4𝘚𝘏

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpider25 View Post
    Racing a stampede for real must be tough.
    It's a lot of fun and how I actually got started in this hobby. A few people I knew raced and all had Stampedes (this was in the late 90s). Back then, monster trucks were all the rage, and we had two full groups of racers every week. We ran "stock" class racing motors (27-turn brushed motors), and it was a blast. Biggest issue was when someone else showed up with your frequency and you didn't have any extra crystals--not an issue today, of course!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    absolutely I can post some pictures of the truck later tonight. at my race this last weekend there were 3 qualifying rounds for my class and 1 main I finished second in the first 2 qualifiers and took 1st on the third qualifier. During the main I was in first for most of the race then on the last few laps I crashed and ended up getting 3rd still not bad.

RC Qualifier
    I’m happy to see someone racing Stampedes.
    2pedes get a bad rap, but can be made to perform pretty well.
    If you don’t have a alum. rear tower, I’d start there. Better tires as you mentioned...
    Both will help you get the power to the track more consistently.
    If you haven't already, lower the body shell. It has weight.
    You might want to increase the weight of your shock oil.
    Both will help reduce body roll and gain control.

RC poster
    This is really cool. I have a 2wd pede that I am currently trying to make a street speed demon. Dream to make it do 80mph. Love my pede over my 4x4 pede and trx4.
    Chumlee Jones