Rustler 4x4 Differential Options

A couple fellas mentioned to me that if i want to utilize the vxl system i installed, i should buy the vxl models gear set.

I was looking just now to see if the parts numbers were different and i noticed something i have a question about.

In the picture it shows a diff gear with a 12/47 ratio. By the looks of the naked eye, that one has a higher tooth count. This was on the standard 4x4 rustler parts page.

Then looking at the vxl parts page, they dont offer that optional gear set. Is there a reason for this? Are the vxl gears higher than that? Or are they too high and not recommended for the vxl system? Thank you everyone.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

I would first think about the benefits of getting diffs that come standard on the VXL. It's the exact same material, same everything, except the gearing. If you want more speed, getting the VXL diffs is an option, but isn't it easier getting a larger pinion gear (or smaller spur)?
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

Absolutely. Its also cheaper. I have 11, 15, and 19 tooth gears on the way right now. I told myself id try gearing higher before i buy different differentials anyways.

But I was just wondering what the difference is between the higher gear ratio offered for the base model as opposed to the only gearing option offered for the vxl model. Besides the spiral cut gears.

RC Qualifier
    The 12/47 ratio is for the brushed motors to stay cooler. I think the vxl ones ratio is more like 1:3 to go with the higher power that the brushless system outputs.

Oo okay that makes sense. Thank ya.

On a side note, the spiral cut gears are also stronger because they are standard equipmemt in the XO-1. Geared for higher speeds
    Traxxas Rally VXL
    Traxxas Rustler 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash65 View Post
    On a side note, the spiral cut gears are also stronger because they are standard equipmemt in the XO-1. Geared for higher speeds

I thought, now I could be wrong, but the xo-1 came stock with 5379x and 6879 straight cut gear sets, with 5379r and 6879r as optional. It does come with the stronger internal gears that use the same 6882x gears as Sl4sh but also uses the h bar, and reinforced cross pin holders in 3978 diff cup (Sl4sh come with 5381 cup and doesn’t use the h bar and cross pin braces ).

Slash 4x4 VXL diff gears are 13/37.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein