RC poster

Question 2wd slash gearing

I have a 2wd slash with a xr8 sct esc powering xerun 5100kv. Running 2s lipo. Anyone have any recommendations on gearing? I'm looking to hit 60+ if that helps any. I'm just really confused on gearing.......Thanks!
    Last edited by Simpso92; 10-14-2020 at 03:19 PM.

RC poster
    In what length of distance? Street or dirt?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpso92 View Post
    I have a 2wd slash with a xr8 sct esc powering xerun 5100kv. Running 2s lipo. Anyone have any recommendations on gearing? I'm looking to hit 60+ if that helps any. I'm just really confused on gearing.......Thanks!
    Ok. I dont have much experience but i'll try to help as best i can.

If i were in your position, First, what i would do is just speed run the car with the gearing that you already have (stock gearing or with optional high speed pinion) and do it on3S or 4S if you can (2S just ain't gonna cut it).

Now, if you speedrun it and you dont reach your desired speed, that's ok. You can make changes and upgrades to improve your car to help you reach 60mph and increase performance. For example, a must have upgrade i would do 1st is the LCG chassis conversion. You could also stiffen your shocks using thicker shock oil and stiffer springs, get some good on-road tires, add weight in certain areas to stop the car from flipping and lowering your car's ride height. Don't worry too much about the gearing, as you can switch to more tooth pinions and lower tooth spurs. But if you just want to reach 60mph fast without doing much or spending $$$ then i would suggest getting the 76t spur gear (part #4676) and throw on your 28t pinion gear (part #4728). Now with this info you should reach 60mph easily but if not then you can purchase the 31t pinion gear traxxas has (part #2431) but if you want to use 2S and 2S only then you'd probably need to go a little further with the gearing.

Well, i hope you reach your goal and all turns out ok!

RC poster
    Thanks for the bit of advice! I actually have the lcg chassis already on and proine power stroke shocks. The reason I said 2s is because hobbywing doesnt recommend anything over 2s on the motor I have. Ill pick up a 76t spur and give it a shot with the optional pinion. Thanks!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Scootern29 View Post
    In what length of distance? Street or dirt?
    Street. About 100 yrds

RC poster
    I'm kinda new also to the street stuff, but I've been playing with a Slash based drag car. If you only are concerned with going 60mph, 26 pinion and 86 spur is just over 60mph by doing some calculations on your motor and battery charged at 8.4 volts with a tire size of 4 inches. Be careful with holding the car wide open because you can over heat the motor and ESC.

I can do 4 passes of 132ft and my car is close to thermal shut down. It creates lots of heat fully pegged.

300ft may be tough to hit 60+ with a 2wd slash. The acceleration is probably going to want to pick the front end up. Using a wheelie bar will help and its fairly cheap if i remember right. Like 18$ I also used a near 1 pound weight, zip tied to the bumper mount to help keep it down. That worked very well.

But 23/86 should get you where you want to be. But like the other guy said, be careful with your temps. Keep in mind my truck was near 18 to 20 pounds when I tried this and my tires are 5 inches tall and weight quite a lot. Theyre belted mx28s. Well anyways i was geared 24/83, and my truck was easily going 40mph. At least.

I only got 1 good run in it and i noticed it slowed down considerably, so i brought it back to me and my esc was super HOTT. And the motor melted a small bit of the transmission case on the upper side of where it sits. I didn't have a temp gun at the time so im not sure how hot it was. But i couldn't touch the aluminum heatsink without burning my finger.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I have a Question for you please help I have a Traxxas Slash 2wd and a Velion VXL3s and a 5200mah 3s battery I changed the gearing in it from stock to i think to 76T spur and I think 31 T Pinion gear I'm only getting 50 mph but before i went to a lower Spur gear i was reaching 55mph i would like to reach 65mph HELP please oh and its on a street.

RC poster
    TheGr8Turk I'm not sure how far you are running the car, but, 31 pinion seems awful tall. Go down to a 24 pinion and work from there. Depending if you are going full on launch at the start or gradually turning it in makes a big difference. I'm working with 24/76 to help control the launch for 132ft.