RC Enthusiast

Battery adapters

I bought some lectron 7600 4s batteries. They have the xt60 with traxxas adapters. i have been thinking about going to ec5s on both ends. Meaning esc and battery. Will this help with performance enough and be worth the time doing it. Thanks for any input

I'd dump the adaptors. The less connectors you have the better. As far as connectors go, it's all about personal preference with the three examples that you gave. All three have the same rating. I personally use the old style Traxxas plugs. The Traxxas plug is the hardest to get right, but when soldered properly they are a very good plug, and the one I use on all my ground RC's.

The XT60's are the easiest to solder right, and the EC5's are in the middle. Traxxas quit making their old style non-smart plugs, but you can still get them from other sources. They aren't called Traxxas style connectors or Traxxas type connectors anymore, because Traxxas kicked up a fuss. They are now called TRX connectors, and the ones I get I like better than the originals. I should also mention that the TRX and XT60 plugs can be reused, and the EC5's can not.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-15-2020 at 02:28 PM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

I only use adapters on my chargers, and really, I stopped doing that as well. My chargers came with various adapters, none of which were TRX, so I had ec3/deans/xt60->trx adapters as I ran trx plugs in everything.

They were a pain to solder and liked to pop apart on hard landings a lot.

So after running trx for a couple years, I changed everything over to XT90's, including my chargers. They are a lot easier to solder and seem to hold together better, except in the most awful lawn dart landings. I made some delrin clips that lock them together for my revo since I can't strap the cables down in it like my other trucks that use velcro.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

I've had issues with adapters. Coming apart... Melting ect... So I put xt90 on my eRevo. Xmaxx still going with gen 1 trx connectors on battery (smc) but starting to pop apart on hard landings. For xmaxx I'd do xt90 vs 60s.

Good 80w+ soldering iron will make short work of making new connectors.

I made my own charger cables to have trx and xt90 as I got tired of swapped ends.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My understanding is, a lot of people had trouble getting the Traxxas 1st generation connectors soldered on right. They say that's why Traxxas quit selling them. A long time ago, I developed a soldering trick when I do mine, and I never have had a problem with mine. I did a post on doing them several years ago, and got really good feed back from all the guys in the Spartan forum.

I put it in the Spartan forum rather than here, because boats really put a lot more stress on things than what trucks do. I don't know if any of you guys have boats, but if you do you know what I'm talking about. Boats are brutal. Anything less than perfect, and you're screwed.

P.S. Here you go. I found it.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...rs-Even-Better
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-16-2020 at 04:33 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Great post

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Don't use adapters. I use xt60 on everything including my xmaxx and felony. They do not get warm in either application and they stay together just fine during rough driving. That being said if you're about to switch connectors all at once on all of your items, switch to the xt90s as they are just a higher amp load handling connector. Nothing wrong with a little overkill on connectors.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Those XT90's look very beefy.

RC Qualifier
    If you are using dual batteries, the xt150s can separate positive and negative, so you can connect positive from one battery to negative of the other, and plug the other set to the esc, eliminating a connection.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I think I must be getting to old. (lol) I looked up XT150's on Amazon, and I am not seeing how a single pin connector would have more of an advantage over a dual pin connector when connecting two batteries in series to a ESC. If you would, please, show me a picture of your idea. I'm always up for a potential good idea.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I THINK understand how that would work.
    Pos ESC to pos bat 1
    Neg ESC to neg bat 2
    Neg bat 1 to pos bat 2

3 connections instead of 4.

I think that's how it would work ...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I THINK understand how that would work.
    Pos ESC to pos bat 1
    Neg ESC to neg bat 2
    Neg bat 1 to pos bat 2

3 connections instead of 4.

I think that's how it would work ...

Yes this is right.
    I'm not good with the internet or even own a computer, but I'll see if i can find something explaining it in picture or video form.

RC Qualifier
    https://youtu.be/D4oltPESvhU
    Hope this works. Explains it perfectly
    And yes, my wife had to link it for me...

Wow. This will clean up any 2 battery chassis... I may do this on my felony. The wires are a mess from the factory.

RC Enthusiast
    I wouldn’t use xt60s. The xmaxx can easily pull well over 100amps. Go with xt90s or the ec5s like you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
    https://youtu.be/D4oltPESvhU
    Hope this works. Explains it perfectly
    And yes, my wife had to link it for me...
    Tell your wife I said "thank you" for her being a real sweetheart for helping you post that video. (lol) Man, I really like those connectors, and the video was perfect for showing me their features and how they work. Thank you for the tip and video.

The only thing I would do would be to use BLUE shrink tubing on the connectors that hook to each other. That way you would hook battery RED to ESC RED, battery BLACK to ESC BLACK, and battery black/BLUE to battery red/BLUE.