RC Racer

Available Differential Options

As a word of caution, having too tight of a slipper clutch makes the differential gears break off teeth...

That said, I am in the market for a new differential. There is of course the stock planetary gear set in an unsealed plastic diff case - which as we all know is meh.

The only alternative I can find is the pro ball diff, which Traxxas still makes.

Are there any other options that I am just not seeing? Maybe something creative like using non-rustler tranny gears so that the electric rustler 2wd sealed diff works or.. whatever?

RC Racer
    No one with words of wisdom?

RC Racer
    Went with the pro-ball diff (Part# 4420) to see if it meets my needs, I like the adjustability of it, although I understand it is not as good for bashing as the stock planetary - which is fine for me, because mine is mostly run on high-traction surfaces.

Would still love to have an alternative that works for everything, but I am assuming since the support for this model is so low, that it's probably not in the cards.

How'd you break the planetary gears in the first place?

I've found most of my nitro cars tend to not get gear damage usually, but I'm pretty easy on my cars, even when doing big jumps, and I like my slippers tight.

Have you thought about just gluing it all up and making it a spool? You say you use it on high-traction surfaces though, but it might not be all bad.

-Mike

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nebulous.cow View Post
    How'd you break the planetary gears in the first place?

I've found most of my nitro cars tend to not get gear damage usually, but I'm pretty easy on my cars, even when doing big jumps, and I like my slippers tight.

Have you thought about just gluing it all up and making it a spool? You say you use it on high-traction surfaces though, but it might not be all bad.

-Mike
    Oh I broke it cause I had the slipper clutch too tight. I usually tighten it down all the way then back off like 1/8-1/4th of a turn -- forgot the loosen step. So completely my fault when it landed on cement and the power had no where to go but to rip off the teeth of the planetary gears.

I know I can replace with a new set of gears and probably be like new -- but new isn't great when it comes to a open diff that only has the ability to handle grease. Sure you can jimmy a seal on it to keep silicone oil in there but its not really meant for that. Hot racing and a number of other brands make sealed diffs for the electric version, but that diff is smaller than the nitro version and doesn't fit. There is also a number of solid axles (spools) out there that fit in the nitro diff case, which is an option, but on high grip, that's really only great in a straight line or drifting.

It seems like if I wanted a tunable diff, I had to go with the pro ball