RC Enthusiast

Maxx questions / Kids dilemma

I've been out of RC for a while. Used to have EMaxx & Revo sold them a while ago. I was always a big Traxxas fan.

Now I have twin 7 year old boys who birthday is approaching. I wanted to get them each an RC and started looking and doing research. We will be driving off road mostly, some parking lot driving, but mainly at local parks and similar places. The Traxxas models seem dated and kind of expensive when comparing them to an Arrma Typhon or Big Rock on 3S (limiting Throttle to 50% until they show they can control it). Maybe 2S batteries tor start, not sure - could use advice from other dads....

I looked at all of the comparable Traxxas models and the Arrma seems to offer much more bang for the buck. They seem to get good reviews on Youtube etc... I have heard that the Arrma controller sucks and needs to be replaced (ugh)

Now is where it gets complicated.....

So all of this research for my kids has really gotten me to want to buy an RC for myself. I'm really digging the Maxx. I went to the local hobby store and they have it for a great price. I do like the Traxxas dual charger and ID batteries system. Really like the idea that it's plug and play (even though it's pricey when compared to others), while I'll be doing the charging for my kids now, as they get older the idea that they can just plug in the batter and hit go with the ID technology and not worry about a fire is really nice. Also the Traxxas link add-on looks awesome to help my kids get going.

I don't really want to buy 3 Maxx's as that will get very pricey. Although having all the same parts would be really nice. The idea of buying all Traxxas is appealing so that we would have some consistency of parts/batteries, learning curve with repairs etc... Now I want the Maxx, not sure what would be good for my kids. I considered The Stampede 4x4 but when you get brushless and Lipo thats pricey also. Is it good? My head is spinning.

I'm confused on what to get keeping in mind that I don't have an unlimited budget.
    Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

RC Racer
    My honest opinion, buy 3 slash 4x4s. The slash, rally, rustler and hoss are all the same parts wise except for the a arms and wheels.. upgrades and parts support are next to none with traxxas modles and especially that slash platform. You can even buy yourself a hoss coz its pretty much the top of the line on that platform and get your boys a couple slashes. Add big wheels later on and get new bodies for a new look!

The maxx is a monster truck. Not nearly as tunable as the slash if you're at all performance oriented.

But... the maxx is also a bad *** top of the line indestructible (nearly) truck. So there is that

RC Qualifier
    I recommend the maxx. My maxx is my favorite traxxas and so much fun to drive. I recommend slash, rustler or sampede 4x4 for the kids.

RC Competitor
    Welcome back to the hobby.. I would suggest definitely the Maxx for yourself...smiles for miles with that truck..no more discussion needed there..
    As far as the boys I would suggest the Bandit xl-5..First reason is their age and the price point of the xl-5. Search around they can be had for around $150 a piece.
    Secondly it will allow you to gauge their interest in the cars..they may like for a few weeks and then lose interest and it will be alot easier to stomach that on a $150 car instead of a $400+ car. I have 7 Traxxas vehicles and my 12 year old has no interest in any of them..all he is concerned with at this point is mind crap and fart night..

RC Competitor

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by radio uncontrol View Post
    I have 7 Traxxas vehicles and my 12 year old has no interest in any of them..all he is concerned with at this point is mind crap and fart night..
    O wow, that sounds sooooo familiair... mine is 10, and I can’t get my head around the fact he isn’t even remotely interested in going outside with such an amazing ‘toy’... I literally would have murdered someone at that age to be able tot do that! ;-)
    Live life to the Traxxas Maxx! 💪🏻

RC Competitor
    Lol! Guido
    The only battery I had back then was a 9V trying to get my friends to stick it on their tongue

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GuidoS79 View Post
    O wow, that sounds sooooo familiair... mine is 10, and I can’t get my head around the fact he isn’t even remotely interested in going outside with such an amazing ‘toy’... I literally would have murdered someone at that age to be able tot do that! ;-)
    "Remotely" LOL. Nice.

There are indeed a lot of choices out there! It's hard to gauge how much your kids will be into it and for how long.

I started with a stampede 4x4 for me one year and quickly realized the kids wanted in on the fun. I got them both the same, but found used ones and had to do some work to get their trucks in a good place.

Started out with lipo batteries for me and nimh for them, transitioned to all lipo later. It ends up being expensive no matter what, when you're running at least 3 trucks and having to repair them.

My son still drives his regularly 3 years later. My daughter not so much, but she likes that it's there when she wants to use it.

If you're going off road and in grass a lot I'd pick the stampede or hoss over the slash just based on ride height. Or a monster slash... But then more $$$ for tires and such.

If I could, I'd swap my son's stampede out for a maxx just because it really is a durable awesome truck... Love mine. But in reality he loves his stampede and it's pretty easy to work on. Not much breakage now that he's become a better driver. At first it was really nice to all be running the same trucks so we could use the same spare parts. Not as much of an issue these days since the maxx doesn't seem to break and the kids aren't running flat out into poles anymore... Most of the time.

Start slow, have a plan ready to help them learn to drive, be ready to fix things, get them trucks you can find parts for, try not to be too mad when they break the chassis in half 5 minutes after you just fixed something else
    Last edited by czlynx; 10-17-2020 at 11:07 PM.

RC Competitor
    Having one model is nice because keeping spare parts on hand is key to an successful play day. I would just pony up for 3 maxxs myself. I only have one kid. We have two maxxs and two xmaxxs with a bin of parts. I also have other stuff and Arrma 6s line is super tuff, but the maxx is the toughest truck I have ever owned in 20+ years in this hobby. Also if you go the 6s Arrma route most parts carry over from model to model.