Thread: Good for kids?

RC Enthusiast

Good for kids?

I've always loved my erevo. Looking to get my kids into the hobby. Is the 1/16 erevo a good car for kids or would I be better off with a rustler? How does the 1/16 erevo offroad? How durable is it?

Thanks all!

RC Enthusiast
    just started letting my 9 year old play with a 1/16 slash and in training mode (50% forward, 50% reverse, brake) ts pretty much perfect.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
    just started letting my 9 year old play with a 1/16 slash and in training mode (50% forward, 50% reverse, brake) ts pretty much perfect.

Awesome! What type of battery are you using? How does it do off road being 1/16 scale?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by emaxx21 View Post
    Awesome! What type of battery are you using? How does it do off road being 1/16 scale?
    Just a standard Nimh 7.2v battery I have had 2 of those with the https://traxxas.com/products/parts/3063X connector and it is very fast.

Offroad isnt great to be fair. you need short freshly cut in the last few days grass. firm gravel(bmx track or cycle path style) or firm sand. it struggles with the smaller wheels on much rougher terrain.

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome info thank you!

Off road any 1/16 needs a flat surface.

A 4x4 rustler will do much better.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    My 4 year old is driving with my MERV 1/16 without any issues and having fun. I started with toy grade rc cars for him first. And we play always together, so he never plays with it alone.
    I like MERV because you can have a lot of fun with it and it’s pretty durable (after servo replacement).

The MERV just needs taller tires to greatly improve its off-roading ability. My 2.2 Trenchers did alot to make off-roading alot more fun. No, it won't handle what a 1/10th scale rig can it also doesn't need as much space to have some fun with it.

Depending on their age, and if they will be working on it when it breaks or for cleaning, consider the size of the 1/16 car and the difficulties having a very intricate detailed vehicle on a small frame.....things are smaller and harder to work on - no terribly but enough to make it a noteworthy mention.

A kid will certainly enjoy the added capability of a 4x4 vehicle vs 2wd on any surface....unless this certain vehicle is destine for more air time than Delta Airlines, that is. Then 4x4 doesn't really matter.

If I were getting my kid an RC, and I have owned everything Traxxas has ever produced, literally...I would choose the Rustler 4x4 brushed version to start with. I think that is the new fan favorite at my house with the 7 and 9 yr olds.
    "RED"

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    Depending on their age, and if they will be working on it when it breaks or for cleaning, consider the size of the 1/16 car and the difficulties having a very intricate detailed vehicle on a small frame.....things are smaller and harder to work on - no terribly but enough to make it a noteworthy mention.

A kid will certainly enjoy the added capability of a 4x4 vehicle vs 2wd on any surface....unless this certain vehicle is destine for more air time than Delta Airlines, that is. Then 4x4 doesn't really matter.

If I were getting my kid an RC, and I have owned everything Traxxas has ever produced, literally...I would choose the Rustler 4x4 brushed version to start with. I think that is the new fan favorite at my house with the 7 and 9 yr olds.
    I would second this ^^. The smaller size of a 1/16 does make kids tend to lean towards it - mine do - but if you are looking at them do anything other than drive it, then a larger size like 1/10th scale makes more sense as it has more room. I know the Stampede is a favorite of lots of younger kids do to is lower price point and also comes in a kit version for a family project. I would say the 4x4 rustler gets my vote because of the large supply of parts (traxxas and 3rd party), larger scale, can have training mode enabled, and can even flip itself back over (which if you have kids like mine that aren't allowed to go in the street - this is a plus).

A side note of the training mode, if you have the bluetooth chip in the radio, then you can actually set the training mode to whatever percentage you want. My 5y/o does great at about 15% and my 7y/o does good with 25% on my 4x4 vxl slash or merv. So with that bluetooth capability and the traxxas app, just about any electric vehicle can be kid friendly.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by emaxx21 View Post
    I've always loved my erevo. Looking to get my kids into the hobby. Is the 1/16 erevo a good car for kids or would I be better off with a rustler? How does the 1/16 erevo offroad? How durable is it?

Thanks all!
    Out of my 3 years of owning a 1/16 E-revo I never broke a single thing on it. I also didn't really ever break my Rustler but I honestly had more fun with the stock E-revo than the Rustler. You also have to remember that the E-revo has bearings stock, the Rustler doesn't. I have completely wallowed out my bushings on my Rustler. I would actually dare to say that the 1/16 E-revo is more capable than the Rustler as long as you get 2.2s on it.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

Traxxas Marshal
    While I think the 1/16th E-Revo could be a good car for younger drivers (in training mode, as mentioned above), I think a 2WD Rustler would be a better option (or 2WD Stampede). The 2WD vehicles are incredibly easy to work on and would be great vehicles for kids to learn with (both driving and wrenching).

That said, my personal choice for the kids I've taught how to drive R/Cs has been the Latrax Teton and Latrax Rally.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    My mate has 3 boys all of different ages from very young to teenage brat.
    They have a fleet of Stampedes between them all & they are perfect for general bashing. I can't think of a better first RC.