RC poster

Spur gear free play

Hi all,
    I was wondering if you could help me?!
    I noticed that I can turn my spur gear about an eighth of a turn before it will start to turn the wheels, I have checked inside the gearbox and diff and all gears look in good condition and mesh properly.
    Any ideas what may be the problem?!
    Thanks for your time all!
    Chris.

It doesn't sound like there is a problem. Do you have any actual functionality issues (while actually driving, not just while playing with the spur)?

Each individual drive-line component (gears, CVDs, etc) all the way from your spur to your tires has a tiny amount of play in it, by design. All of that play adds together every time you change directions from forward to reverse (which is what you are doing going back and forth with the spur).

RC poster
    Thanks for your reply,
    I did wonder if it was due to the little bit of play in all the components adding together, was just a bit concerned that there was so much and when hitting the power it may do some damage whilst taking up the slack as it were!
    When just turning the motor unconnected it feels a bit notchy, is this normal?! It drives fine, the motor is a hobbywing ezrun 3660.
    Thanks for your time answering my most likely silly questions!

RC Qualifier
    Mr rusty vxl motor also is kind of notchy when moving it but it should still run fine.

It's normal for a brushless motor with 4 poles or more to feel "notchy" as you describe. 2-pole brushless motors tend to feel more smooth when you turn them by hand.