RC Qualifier

LiPo dischargers worth it?

Should I get a LiPo discharger?

A lot of LiPo chargers have a storage mode option, and that will (dis)charge a LiPo to 3.8V per cell. But this is very slow if the LiPo needs to be discharged, especialy at higher cell counts. LiPo dischargers do the same (only the discharging) but was faster. For example: the iDST FD-100 can discharge a LiPo at 6A/80W. Your LiPo-charger can't.

So here's my question: are they worth it? Should I just get a good LiPo charger with storage mode, or should I get a cheaper charger and a discharger?

1: If I buy a charger with storage mode, I will get the SkyRC D100 V2 (Ä105) dual charger.

2: If I buy a cheaper dual charger without storage mode, but with a discharger, I'd get the iSDT FD-100 discharger (Ä35) with a cheaper dual charger (I don't know wich one).

What should I go for? Opt. 1 or 2?

I have the fd-100 and fd-200. Both excellent dischargers. I also have a couple icharger x6ís. They are capable of discharging but like you said at a very slow pace. And using a charger as a discharger makes it very warm and can reduce the lifetime of the charger. So for that reason I use a separate discharger just for that very purpose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    115 mph Heavily Moddified Slash 4x4 on 6s

If it was me id think about what my cost would be. Like how much it is to buy a charger with a storage mode, or buying one without storage mode and having to buy a discharger and or a monitor so you dont discharge too much.

I woukd pick the cheaper of the two. Unless its a close call. Say 20$ or something. Than it would be just a preference thing for me.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

I believe the question is about volume and budget. If you have several batteries that you use and store. Then yes get a discharger but if you only use a few batteries then no. What "several" and "few" mean is based on what your budget is. I am not poor but I am cheap so my setup is on the inexpensive side for discharging.

I'm abit more picky with my chargers. But this setup is also expandable by adding more bulbs and daisy chaining more of the black boxes.
    Last edited by zedorda; 10-18-2020 at 01:39 PM.

How about getting a good charger AND a discharger?

While chargers have "discharging" ability, the reason they have to do it so s-l-o-w-l-y is because they're not designed to dissipate large quantities of heat. There's nothing wrong with using a charger to put a partially-used battery to 'storage' level...but, if you've got any unused, fully-charged (or close to fully-charged) batteries, using the charger to put them to 'storage' level makes the charger work extra hard (and could, potentially, shorten the life of the charger). That's where a discharger comes into play, as they ARE designed to handle higher heat levels...plus, they're pre-programmed to discharge to storage level (typically 3.80-3.85V/cell).

My suggestion/recommendation would be to get yourself a good, high-quality charger (my primary is an iCharger 406 Duo, with a Hitec X2 AC Black as my 'backup'...also used when I need to charge 4 batteries simultaneously), AND get a discharger. I typically use my discharger to get unused packs to my discharger's pre-programmed 3.84-3.85V/cell level...then, I connect the packs to my iCharger to not only bring them (safely) down to 3.80V/cell, but to also keep the cells balanced while doing so (while most dischargers do a good job of keeping the cells fairly-well balanced, I prefer to keep mine...even when put to 'storage' level...as close to "perfectly balanced" as possible).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I believe the question is about volume and budget. If you have several batteries that you use and store. Then yes get a discharger but if you only use a few batteries then no. What "several" and "few" mean is based on what your budget is. I am not poor but I am cheap so my setup is on the inexpensive side for discharging.

I'm abit more picky with my chargers.
    That looks like quite a unit. Forgive me as Im not familiar with dischargers at all... Do they all look like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    That looks like quite a unit. Forgive me as Im not familiar with dischargers at all... Do they all look like that?

No not all but with this setup I have a high-end balance control board (blue box)with a separate load working directly off the batteries. Most just stuff all this into one box with the load being just a bank of resistors making heat. This way I can replace any part that goes bad without replacing the whole thing.

No not all but with this setup I have a high-end balance control board (blue box)with a separate load working directly off the batteries. Most just stuff all this into one box with the load being just a bank of resistors making heat. This way I can replace any part that goes bad without replacing the whole thing.
    Thank you. Thats seriously cool. It seems simple, yet effective and efficient at the same time. Thanks for the explanation.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Calebs0615 View Post
    If it was me id think about what my cost would be. Like how much it is to buy a charger with a storage mode, or buying one without storage mode and having to buy a discharger and or a monitor so you dont discharge too much.

I woukd pick the cheaper of the two. Unless its a close call. Say 20$ or something. Than it would be just a preference thing for me.

Personaly, I think +$35 for way faster discharging is worth it, but I came here for more info, as I only knew these things exist since a couple of houres ago.
    Last edited by The Bean; 10-18-2020 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bean View Post
    Personaly, I think +$35 for way faster discharging is worth it, but I zeker here for more info, as I only knew these things exist since a couple of houres ago.
    Yeah i mean i use the traxxas ezpeak plus and it works fine for me. I was just throwing out ideas.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    How about getting a good charger AND a discharger?

My suggestion/recommendation would be to get yourself a good, high-quality charger (my primary is an iCharger 406 Duo, with a Hitec X2 AC Black as my 'backup'...also used when I need to charge 4 batteries simultaneously), AND get a discharger. I typically use my discharger to get unused packs to my discharger's pre-programmed 3.84-3.85V/cell level...then, I connect the packs to my iCharger to not only bring them (safely) down to 3.80V/cell, but to also keep the cells balanced while doing so (while most dischargers do a good job of keeping the cells fairly-well balanced, I prefer to keep mine...even when put to 'storage' level...as close to "perfectly balanced" as possible).

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    I was thinking about the D100, as I’ve asked about it before on this forum, and I was told it is a good charger.

And, thanks for the tip about ‘rebalancing’.

So, I should get (for example) the SkyRC D100 V2 + the iSDT FD-100 discharger?
    Last edited by The Bean; 10-18-2020 at 02:47 PM.

I was thinking about the D100, as Iíve asked about it before on this forum, and I was told it is a good charger.

And, thanks for the tip about Ďrebalancingí.

So, I should get (for example) the SkyRC D100 V2 + the iSDT FD-100 discharger?
    Personally, I have no experience work either of those two. However, the SkyRC D100 appears to be identical to the Hitec X2 AC (Horizon Hobby also sells their version of this same charger, under their Dynamite brand...it's sold by multiple companies, under different brand/model names), so you shouldn't have any problems with it. As for the FD-100, I've read plenty of food things about it, so it, too, should be a good choice.

RC poster
    It highly depends on your use case. I'm using a storage mode to store my LiPos for a season where I'm not driving. This happens once maybe twice a year. It doesn't really matter to me if it takes longer as I don't have to charge anything else in the meantime.

The only benefit in faster LiPo discharging is time. If that's not an issue for you, then I don't see reason for a separate device.

RC Qualifier
    I don't want to leave LiPo's (dis)charging overnight, and leaving them unbalanced isn't the best idea, so it would make sence form a safety standpoint.

RC poster
    I don't want to leave LiPo's (dis)charging overnight, and leaving them unbalanced isn't the best idea, so it would make sence form a safety standpoint.
    In this case I would do it during daytime. Turn it off during night and continue next day. There is no harm to leave it unbalanced as long as you don't use it.

It's never really been a big deal for me to just use the storage mode on my chargers to discharge my batteries. My main charger is about 10 years old now so it has obviously not harmed the charger too bad. Some of my big 4s packs can take upwards of 6 hours to go into storage if they are fully charged, but I have 3 chargers now so it helps spread things out a bit when I have multiple packs to put into storage.

RC Competitor
    ^ +1 with GotNo

I use a color coded outlet box with multiple chargers also with individual switch for each outlet..keeps things simple..
    LHS always has a great price on completer packs so it's more advantageous for me just to get a completer pack instead of searching out a single battery pack

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GotNoRice View Post
    It's never really been a big deal for me to just use the storage mode on my chargers to discharge my batteries. My main charger is about 10 years old now so it has obviously not harmed the charger too bad. Some of my big 4s packs can take upwards of 6 hours to go into storage if they are fully charged, but I have 3 chargers now so it helps spread things out a bit when I have multiple packs to put into storage.
    So it will save me money and time if i buy a discharger? Iím not going to spend hinderde of $ on chargers

So it will save me money and time if i buy a discharger? I’m not going to spend hinderde of $ on chargers
    Well you'll have to decide what your priorities are. I'm usually not in a rush when I am putting my batteries into storage, because that's something I do after I use my trucks. On the other hand, having multiple chargers is extremely convenient because it allows me to charge multiple packs simultaneously. I'm usually charging my packs before I use my trucks, when time does matter.

Although my main charger is an authentic model, for my 2nd charger I took the chance and bought a $20 B6 clone. It worked fine and so I bought a 3rd for another $20. A discharger probably costs more than I paid for my chargers.

RC Competitor
    I don't see where anyone was requesting you spend hundreds on new chargers..you posted a question asking for input and that's what some of the forum members did.. I found the quickest way to discharge any of my batteries is to put it in the vehicle and use for 30-40 minutes and then what little bit of discharging needs to be done after that a regular charger can handle the rest of it without issue..Boom! That doesn't cost anything. I typically don't have fully charged batteries lying around that need immediate discharge.
    Honestly I only answered because it was posted in a Slash forum..there is a lipo battery forum and even a charger forum further down the menu that would probably get a more direct response and more targeted info to your question.
    So many variables to your question to give a single answer...some think a Hoss is worth the $469 msrp and some will refuse to pay that..any discharger you acquire will only be one that you are willing to spend what you think is fair.
    It's like giving relationship advice...people are going to do what they want to do..

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by radio uncontrol; 10-19-2020 at 06:40 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I’ll just get the SlyRC D100 charger, and if I have problems with waiting too long for discharing, I’ll get the discharger. I thought ‘hundreds of dollars’ for chargers because I saw 4 Traxxas chargers, wich cost A LOT.

I waan thinking a discharger could be needed, because I have a 8500mAh LiPo, wich I have never fully emptied, so I end up discharging it to storage mode. Every time I go out with friends, all their RC’s are empty or broken before I even get that thing half empty
    Last edited by The Bean; 10-19-2020 at 08:29 AM.

I have a 8500mAh LiPo, wich I have never fully emptied, so I end up discharging it to storage mode. Every time I go out with friends, all their RCís are empty or broken before I even get that thing half empty
    Packs that large are usually pretty heavy. If you are never using the entire capacity, you might look at getting a smaller pack for your typical usage and saving your big pack for backup / special usage. Lighten the weight of your vehicle a bit.

RC Qualifier
    Iím probably selling a lot of my rc stuff when Iím moving to the US. Iíll get a 6400 or 5200 mAh SMC there. When I bought that LiPoí I thought: bigger is better. But bigger is not better, if itís to big, like with this battterie. Also, the 6400 mAh version was barely any cheaper, so Ďwhy notí I thought. Now I know why not.
    Last edited by The Bean; 10-19-2020 at 12:55 PM.

I'm abit more picky with my chargers. But this setup is also expandable by adding more bulbs and daisy chaining more of the black boxes.
    What's the black box? Something you made or something you bought? If you bought it, got a link?

I recently just wired 4 brake bulbs together (both filaments) to drain packs to throw them away. Was surprised how fast they will pull a 7200mah+ 3S pack down.

So far, this is the only discharger I've run across that balances the cells as it discharges:
    https://www.amazon.com/Discharger-In.../dp/B07ZD2D8YW
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    What's the black box? Something you made or something you bought? If you bought it, got a link?

I recently just wired 4 brake bulbs together (both filaments) to drain packs to throw them away. Was surprised how fast they will pull a 7200mah+ 3S pack down.

So far, this is the only discharger I've run across that balances the cells as it discharges:
    https://www.amazon.com/Discharger-In.../dp/B07ZD2D8YW
    I found this kit on Amazon back in 2017 for $29. I have seen it in parts on ebay.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by zedorda; 10-19-2020 at 10:46 PM.

I found this kit on Amazon back in 2017 for $29. I have seen it in parts on ebay.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Just ordered one from China... should be here by Christmas. lol!

Looking at the little bulb holders, I should be able to use similar brake bulbs for auto and use both filaments, will likely be more than 150W, will see how it does when I get it. Make a little stand for it, put a splitter on the jst connector and add a fan to push some of the heat away... amusing winter project.

The base my bulbs are in was a test tube stand. I stuffed pennies in the lower holes to give it weight. Then I stripped the wire from a few twist ties to hold the sockets in place which are metal and get really hot after just a minute or so.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    Just ordered one from China... should be here by Christmas. lol!
    Christmas 2020? Or 2021?

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Christmas 2020? Or 2021?

Yes? Likely one of them! lol!

RC Racer
    Check out some of Nick Adams videos on YouTube. Very educational. https://youtu.be/ses7Jnq6bcQ

Wow the batteries were cookin at 56C. Can't say I would ever suggest that.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
    Check out some of Nick Adams videos on YouTube. Very educational. https://youtu.be/ses7Jnq6bcQ
    Not something I would recommend for someone new. If you weren't paying attention or knew what you are doing, you could easily ruin a battery quick. Nothing that would stop it from draining a battery past safe limits.

Wow the batteries were cookin at 56C. Can't say I would ever suggest that.
    That is warm!
    Last edited by grizzly03; 10-27-2020 at 04:25 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyracing View Post
    No control of current flow, no control of each cell, pretty high discharge rate. This is a way to shorten a live of your expensive battery and even risk accidents during discharging.

RC Racer
    Alright, not his best video, but the balance leads can be connected and safety maintained.