RC Competitor

how do you guys drag this thing back to your car or home?

ok so i was wondering how everyone drags this thing back to your car or house when it breaks or the batteries die..i got lucky a couple of times when the spur gear blew up ,as i could just let it roll downhill to my house. but today i took it out after putting the belt drive on and somehow the grub screw loosened up so i had to drag it uphill back to my house and fix it. the skateboard wheels i put on the t-bone racing wheelie bar helped with that. same thing when the batteries hit low voltage.

i was thinking of putting a tow hook of sorts on the front and use a dog leash.

RC Competitor

Simple answer:- Dog Lead

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just carry mine by the rear bumper to where ever I got to go. I do like Mr. Hallamnet's idea too, though...easy and simple.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

I simply don't break mine. But, in the rare even that I do, I have been hitting the gym more frequently as of late! hehe
    "RED"

My rc tool box tote is large and has wheels. I'll use a tie down strap and strap my ramps to the top of the tote and the car as well if it doesn't drive anymore.

I make sure to bring 2-2500mha 2s batteries for my Merv along to have enough crawling power to get it back home from the park next door. If it's normal batteries die.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hallamnet View Post

kinda where i was leaning. just wanted to pick peoples brains on here to see if someone had a different/better idea. i live in an apartment that's built in a sandpit which surrounds a large portion of the area where i run this thing. if i go one way it's probably 40ft below ground floor and if i go up top it's about 4 floors worth of apartments. up top isn't bad since i can just roll it most of the way back. down below isn't too bad since i can pick it up by the front bumper and use the skate board wheels. but pulling it with a leash would be easier
    yeah little big/heavy to be dragging around especially if i'm just running around my house.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsawacs View Post
    I simply don't break mine. But, in the rare even that I do, I have been hitting the gym more frequently as of late! hehe
    i don't intend to break it but i think where i live was killing the spur gears. i live in an apartment building surrounded by a sand pit and we all know sand. it's course and it get's everywhere. but i did get one of the screen mesh things to cover the top half of the truck. today i didn't really break it but for some reason even though i used red loctite and tightened the grub screw down it somehow backed out a little bit. and the second time the batteries died enough
    Last edited by 95blackz26; 10-18-2020 at 05:05 PM.

RC Champion
    Drive it near to my car and hop it in the car trunk.

RC Racer
    I grab it by the rear bumper.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by 95blackz26 View Post
    yeah little big/heavy to be dragging around especially if i'm just running around my house.
    If you're running around your house without other trucks/bats just pick the thing up by the bumper.

...and the second time the batteries died enough
    Sounds like you need to get yourself another set of batteries. If you are only using one set of batteries to drive where you are using the truck and to drive home, maybe get the Traxxas link app so you can see what the battery voltage is at any given time.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 10-18-2020 at 06:46 PM.

RC Qualifier
    ok so i was wondering how everyone drags this thing back to your car or house when it breaks or the batteries die..i got lucky a couple of times when the spur gear blew up ,as i could just let it roll downhill to my house. but today i took it out after putting the belt drive on and somehow the grub screw loosened up so i had to drag it uphill back to my house and fix it. the skateboard wheels i put on the t-bone racing wheelie bar helped with that. same thing when the batteries hit low voltage.

i was thinking of putting a tow hook of sorts on the front and use a dog leash.
    I only have an E-revo but even that weighs almost 15 pounds loaded with batteries (albeit that's only half of the X-MAXX). After a while that gets really cumbersome to carry (I usually end up walking a mile home from where I drive) but it's not near impossible. I can't even imagine having to carry that monster home!
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC poster
    I've seen people use foldable carts. The kind you're supposed to put kids in, ya know? They fit their xmaxx and tools in it and pull that around.

RC Qualifier
    I use a dog lead.

Another thing you can do (someday) is to get a four wheel drive truck. If you have a house and you do most of your own work, you need a truck anyway. So, why not get a 4x4 rather than a two wheel drive. That way, you can drive right up to where you'll be playing without taking a chance on trashing any of your 2 wheel drive vehicles.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 10-24-2020 at 05:16 AM.

RC Competitor
    The best way so far! Canít beat a bit of green laning!

That terrain looks worried Zoom in to the middle

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    Another thing you can do (someday) is to get a four wheel drive truck. If you have a house and you do most of your own work, you need a truck anyway. So, why not get a 4x4 rather than a two wheel drive. That way, you can drive right up to where you'll be playing without taking a chance on trashing any of your 2 wheel drive vehicles.

Talk about being a die hard RC boating fanatic! Using any chance you get to get them out. LoL!

You got that right. (lol) The only thing more fanatic than playing with boats in puddles would be playing with them on damp rags. (lol)

RC Competitor
    i have a Subaru Outback. while it doesn't have a locker i have never been let down when driving in questionable terrain. i'm looking for a house and will probably go for that around this time next year. everywhere there's a "road" around where i live i wouldn't have a problem getting my car. it's not like i'm walking a ton back to my place. rather than partially carry a 30lb truck a couple thousand feet, i'd rather drag it.

this is one of the area's outside. yes it's a pic through my window and no that's not my car. this isn't bad if i break it up there as i can roll it down the hill.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Hq7...ew?usp=sharing

Cool place to play! Sounds like you're man with a plan. My first couple of trucks weren't four wheel drives either. That's why I said (someday). If you're like me, you can't switch mental gears without a little bit of planning first.

RC Enthusiast
    Awe man that brings back memories. I built a wooden tunnel hull with a K&B 3.5 OB back in the 70's and ran it off a Kraft combo radio/servo brick transmitting on "orange and white." The thing was gorgeous...airbrushed black and gold...but model boats are as much a pita as real ones. The best and worst of times. The thing hauled balz though.

Not mine but similar:

Last edited by Goaround28; 10-28-2020 at 01:18 AM.

Very nice! No RTR's back in those days. Back in the late 70's and early 80's I built my own stuff too. I built one hydro boat using your very same engine, and also built many WWII fighter planes. Of course my P51 and P40 were my favorites.

RC poster
    I have a couple of Intex River Run II tubes that came with a tether connector that twist into each other to keep the tubes together when floating... anyways... I just purchased a few feet of thin rope (thick string), then used a thick shrink tube to melt on the rope to give me a "handle".... One connector is attached to the rear shock tower and the other connector is attached to the handle part with the rope just stays in my pocket... When I finally find a way to immobilize my x-maxx for the day, I just twist the connector on and pull it behind me all the way back to my car.

PM me if you want pics of it.... since I'll have to find them.

RC poster
    Sorry, advertising is not allowed.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-05-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hallamnet View Post

I'm thinking here when I was a 4 yr. old kid use to like pulling something behind. Now this came back to me and thinked on the adult life you can still do it. LOL!
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Champion
    I have a rope too, but prefer to run the truck to the car.

RC Competitor
    for the moment i now use a d-shackle like the one in the link with some rope. just hook the d-shackle to the big opening on the front bumper and pull

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Ste.../dp/B01NASM2DQ

Very nice! No RTR's back in those days. Back in the late 70's and early 80's I built my own stuff too. I built one hydro boat using your very same engine, and also built many WWII fighter planes. Of course my P51 and P40 were my favorites.
    ReglaGuy your not that old right. ✌��
    I taught you'll stick only with the boats but here you are on the trucks maybe soon you'll explore the crawler also. I come here on and off for a while. But now I'm back again
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Enthusiast
    Is it detrimental to the truck to drag it along with a leash? Presumably the wheels are then turning all the gears and the motor?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJUK View Post
    Is it detrimental to the truck to drag it along with a leash? Presumably the wheels are then turning all the gears and the motor?

No it should be just fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    House, City, County, State, Country, Continent, Planet
    No it shouldn't be, assuming you use a leash connected to a bumper. How else by foot would you move it without dragging it by the rear bumper or something?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by RookieNumberss View Post
    No it shouldn't be, assuming you use a leash connected to a bumper. How else by foot would you move it without dragging it by the rear bumper or something?
    Carry it from the wheelie bar, I would presume? That's what they do in the Traxxas commercials.

Having not yet seen one in person though I have no idea how much they weigh and how realistic that it though.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RJUK View Post
    Carry it from the wheelie bar, I would presume? That's what they do in the Traxxas commercials.

Having not yet seen one in person though I have no idea how much they weigh and how realistic that it though.

they weigh like 25-30lbs