RC Competitor

Trx4 Shock Filling

I have the Trx4 and I have been using 30wt oil in them. Every time I fill them I get them to the right oil amount and there are no bubbles in them. Then if I turn them upside down or cycle them fast, they get air bubbles. I know that they are emulsion shocks and the air is supposed to mix with the oil but this seems like a little much. Is there something that I am doing wrong when filling? Also, has anyone tried the pen spring mod and what weight oil are you running?

They are emulsion shocks... so it is nearly impossible to fill it perfectly. If I flip mines upside down for a few seconds, there's about 2-3 mm of air in the shocks, and I fill and re-fill them several times to get it to what I think is good. I run 10W shock oil, so it isn't as bad of an issue.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

I've found a way to fill the sort of correctly, but it's hard to pull off and leaves a bit of hydro locking at full compression

1. With piston extended fully, fill with oil until the third to last or 4th to last thread on the top (This is the part the you have to experiment with, if you overfill here, you may end up with a lot of pressure inside the shock)

2. Wait for the bubbles to rise to the top and dissapear

3. screw in the cap halfway in with the pistion still extended, and then push the piston all the way in, letting the excess oil bleed out from the top.

4. Screw the cap in completely.

This should have you end up with airless shocks, but depending on the amount of oil you filled it up with from stepk one, there may be a lot of hydrolocking. The least I could get without having air in my shocks was about 1cm of hydrolock (the distance between the turnbuckle thing and the bottom shock cap) with them correctly filled.
    If there's too much hydrolocking, open the shocks, and fill them a little bit less, and if theres still air, fill them a little more.

Hope this helps.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Competitor
    Thank you lots. These will help next time I fillmy shocks. An just to know, like I said before, has anyone tried the pen spring shock mod? Also what weight oil are you using?

RC poster
    I have just built my first trx4 and was having the same issue. Iím used to all my racing buggies having bleed screws on the shocks so did a trick I have done before and drilled the shock caps with a 1mm drill and used a tiny self taping screw to seal them when done. Makes life so quick and easy and can get consistent results every time. I would post a pic but not found a way to upload them yet easy