Thread: Servo or ESC?

RC Racer

Servo or ESC?

So after running my X-maxx around a bit yesterday I noticed a few times where for a second or two it didn't react to my turns. I brought the Xmaxx back and did some tests without throttle, with and without the wheels being on the ground. Apparently every so often for 2-5 seconds, the servo will go to the center and not take commands. No sounds, no nothing then it'll kick back in and move easily and smoothly at my direction. Ive had Servo horns strip and this doesn't feel like that. Not a single sound or movement from the servo for 2-5 then normal again.

I have the upgraded servo and an aluminum horn. everything else is stock. It was suggested i take off the horn and see if i can reproduce, also i could plug back in my original servo to see if it happens with it.

Just looking for suggestions from the hive mind of experience here before i do anything.

Thanks!
    X-MAXX, Stampede VXL 4x4, Spartan

The thread HERE outlines your issue.

Video is courtesy of the member varunaX

VIDEO

Also, interestingly enough, I had a THREAD HERE that started out as what I thought was a calibration issue but ultimately I was trying to figure out a servo issue as well.

It really troubles me to see these servo issues continue seven months later with new X-Maxx owners. It obviously means Traxxas has no intentions whatsoever of addressing the issue after it has time and time again been mentioned in various threads.

Since my posting of the VXL Calibration thread about seven months ago, I have counted at least a dozen threads that cropped up with the same problems I had. I wonder how many more there really are that haven't posted or are just not a member.

Long story short, once your servo starts doing what you described, it is only a matter of time until a ProModeler servo is in your future.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 10-19-2020 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Updated.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

Turn tsm off and see if issues persists

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Thanks, Flux that was super helpful! Acidic I'll try the TSM off and also pick up a promodeler 930 if that doesn't work good excuse for me even though its not cheap
    X-MAXX, Stampede VXL 4x4, Spartan

RC Racer
    I put the promodeler 930 in my castle 2028 build. That servo is a beAutiful piece of work. It transforms how the xmaxx steers.

RC Champion
    PROMODELER servos are outstanding.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    The thread HERE outlines your issue.

Video is courtesy of the member varunaX

VIDEO

Also, interestingly enough, I had a THREAD HERE that started out as what I thought was a calibration issue but ultimately I was trying to figure out a servo issue as well.

It really troubles me to see these servo issues continue seven months later with new X-Maxx owners. It obviously means Traxxas has no intentions whatsoever of addressing the issue after it has time and time again been mentioned in various threads.

Since my posting of the VXL Calibration thread about seven months ago, I have counted at least a dozen threads that cropped up with the same problems I had. I wonder how many more there really are that haven't posted or are just not a member.

Long story short, once your servo starts doing what you described, it is only a matter of time until a ProModeler servo is in your future.
    Thank you so much for sharing the such a Video. It is very useful for me....
    Throw kindness around like confetti.

Quote Originally Posted by alendrew11 View Post
    Thank you so much for sharing the such a Video. It is very useful for me....

You're Welcome!

The video isn't long, but it sure gets to the point of what is happening. I could have made a ten minute video of the same thing to show that it happens over and over again.

Now imagine driving your X-Maxx around on 8S and your steering goes out for two to five seconds like in that video. Think you would be able to avoid hitting something with just brakes?

I almost wrapped my $1000 investment around a couple of things that were immovable when I would lose steering without warning.
    Sent from my autonomous device.