RC poster

Servo saver for trx4

Can anyone recommend a servo saver to fit the trx4 sport. I just tried a traxxas one but it hits the panhard bar link at the servo end. Many thanks

RC Racer
    No need for a servo saver. Just upgrade to a metal servo horn. Traxxas part # 8247X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PFongemie View Post
    No need for a servo saver. Just upgrade to a metal servo horn. Traxxas part # 8247X

Thanks but I have already put a decent servo in just would still like to run a servo saver

RC Racer
    Check the forums. I havenít heard of anyone using a servo saver on the TRX-4. Thereís no need for one on a rock crawler. There made for bashers. When the tire hits bumps at speed it allows for play in the steering links so you donít strip gears in the servo. The TRX-4 isnít fast enough for this to be a problem. Especially if youíve upgraded the servo. All it will do is hinder your turning ability when crawling.

So, the short answer to your question is "no", we cannot recommend a servo saver for your Sport.

Servos savers are just not used for crawler/scale rigs for a couple of reasons.
    • They are just not needed. Servo savers are there to take shock loads, and to protect the servo in a collision. These rigs, normally, are not going fast enough to damage the servo when they run into something.
    • They limit steering. When climbing, and even in trailing, you want your steering to work for you, not against you. When your front wheel come up on an obstacle they need to go where they are told to go. With a servo saver your wheels will be pushed away from the rock (obstacle), making it a lot harder to take a proper line over it. And, in that way, reduces the amount of steering you have.
    • The steering is just not designed to have servo savers installed.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Thanks for the advice, I know exactly what they are for, I have been doing rc for 35 years. The type of driving I do I don’t have a issue using one and would rather protect the servo over everything else as heavy impacts are quite common. If know one is using one I will just have to figure a way to get this one to work for me.

RC Competitor
    If you can get one to work let us know-how. It's good to share anything we can figure out. That said if you have a metal gear servo and the stock plastic horn the horn will strip before you damage the servo. I stripped mine out, and so you could think of the inherent weakness of the plastic servo horn as a single-use servo saver. I went through a few before I switched to a metal horn with an MG servo, and have not broken anything since.

RC Qualifier
    I didn't know that traxxas made one for the Trx-4
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi

You will loose steering with a saver fitted as even the strongest will deflect whenthe axle moves over rough ground.
    If your that worried use the stock plastic servo horn as it will fail first.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlieuk View Post
    Can anyone recommend a servo saver to fit the trx4 sport. I just tried a traxxas one but it hits the panhard bar link at the servo end. Many thanks
    I don't know if this will work but it is a different style than the round universal style.
    http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax31009

RC poster
    Cheers thanks, I think I have figured a work around with the stock traxxas one Just by moving the link to the top hole and printing a spacer for the servo to move it up a few mm. If not I’ll try the axial one. Many thanks

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlieuk View Post
    This rig don't need servo saver, this piece is for high speed rigs.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I don't know if this will work but it is a different style than the round universal style.
    http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax31009
    A local mate has this piece, and works same as round ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    A local mate has this piece, and works same as round ones.
    OK.
    But is smaller than the Traxxas round ones?

RC Champion
    OK.
    But is smaller than the Traxxas round ones?

It's nearly to the same size. The smaller horn in the Axial one is the same size as round. I have a round one and compare sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    It's nearly to the same size. The smaller horn in the Axial one is the same size as round. I have a round one and compare sizes.
    I could be wrong but it doesn't look the same size. I'm not comparing the "arm length" but the overall width. The Axial one looks so much skinnier.

RC Champion
    I could be wrong but it doesn't look the same size. I'm not comparing the "arm length" but the overall width. The Axial one looks so much skinnier.

Of course, the round one is wider, but in fact, it do the same things, in lenght, the round and the short Axial one are similar.

RC Racer

Servo saver for trx4

Still trying to wrap my head around this. I donít understand why you would want or need a servo saver on a TRX-4.

Still trying to wrap my head around this. I donít understand why you would want or need a servo saver on a TRX-4.

If he is running his TRX4 fast, and using the stock servo, or a cheap servo, then it likely needs some protection. Of course, upgrading to an all-metal geared servo > 300oz would servo the same purpose. At the end of the day it is his truck, if it is set up so that it puts a smile on his face, then all is good.

Also, there is the "go with what you know" factor. If his only RC experience is with fast RCs, it can be tough for him to wrap his head around the notion that crawlers typically don't need, nor do they want a servo saver. Most likely he'll get some wheel time on the TRX4 and realize how much the servo saver is killing his low-speed/crawling maneuverability.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 10-23-2020 at 08:08 AM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    If he is running his TRX4 fast, and using the stock servo, or a cheap servo, then it likely needs some protection. Of course, upgrading to an all-metal geared servo > 300oz would servo the same purpose. At the end of the day it is his truck, if it is set up so that it puts a smile on his face, then all is good.

Also, there is the "go with what you know" factor. If his only RC experience is with fast RCs, it can be tough for him to wrap his head around the notion that crawlers typically don't need, nor do they want a servo saver. Most likely he'll get some wheel time on the TRX4 and realize how much the servo saver is killing his low-speed/crawling maneuverability.
    Good point. He did say he upgraded the servo.
    I understand the ďgo with what you knowĒ and yes the crawler scene might be new to him. But most come to the forums to learn new ideas and tips.

...most come to the forums to learn new ideas and tips.
    "How do I install?" Couldn't that be the reason alone to ask in a forum? Everyone's reason is different, but it shouldn't be the reason not to get involved in helping. Maybe he's running his like Traxxas Underground posted:

The OP even defended his decision as needed the protection from heavy impacts.

In the end I agree with Greatscott
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    ...At the end of the day it is his truck, if it is set up so that it puts a smile on his face, then all is good.

RC Champion
    I'm with Greatscott and grizzly03, is his car and he can put anything he want, the mods are the funniest part of the hobby.

RC Enthusiast
    I agree, if thatís what he wants to do thatís up to the op. The most fun I have in this hobby are the mods to make into what I want it to be. What I may like might not be for the next person.

Do what makes you happy. Wish I could help out with info put I have not read of anyone else doing this. Not saying it hasnít been done just havenít heard of it.