RC Racer

Does shock oil get old?

So I'm having a clear out, ready for my new truck turning up and have loads of old bottles of shock oil. Some are like 25 years old!
    It has never crossed my mind before, but for a better way of putting it, do they have a "best before date"?
    I wondered if they absorbed water or anything weird like that.

RC Qualifier
    No, but it gets dirty and the dirt wears out the seal causing it to leak eventually.

Itís mainly a use thing. The more your drive it, particularly in dust, the more often you should clean the shocks and replace the fluid.

I donít run my trucks that often and will usually wait till I notice it starting to leak before I do anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    The best way to stay safe is to use new silicone oil.

RC Qualifier
    Sorry, I misread your post.

Most of my shock oils are 10 to 20 years old, though I am almost out. Always works though.

If you were into serious racing or something I could see it being a bit of an issue.

Donít see how silicone would break down while stored in a bottle.

RC Racer
    I was sort of the same opinion.
    I might keep using it until I'm happy I've got the truck to drive how I want, then buy new of what I use and throw the rest away.
    Seems safe I guess, but not wasteful.
    If the truck is completely different with new oil, I guess I'll know the old oil had gone weird. Lol

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzke View Post
    Sorry, I misread your post.

Most of my shock oils are 10 to 20 years old, though I am almost out. Always works though.

If you were into serious racing or something I could see it being a bit of an issue.

Don’t see how silicone would break down while stored in a bottle.

20 year old silicone oil? Not likely. It would have been mineral based.

Everything gets old. (lol) The question is, does shock oil deteriorate when it gets old? Most fluids like that don't if their containers have never been open. If they have, I have always read that fluids like that do have a shelf life.

The way I do it is, how critical is the fluid being used? DOT5 racing break fluid is more critical on a sport bike then silicon shock oil is on a RC truck. If my breaks go out on my bike, I die. If my shocks goes out on my Xmaxx, I go home. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start having shock problems. If so, then I would get new shock oil.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-03-2020 at 05:05 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.