RC poster

Sharing my Maxx Collection + my Review on Belted VS “Belted MFT” Bandito 3.8 Tires!

Hey guys, my name is Tom been a member for years and actually do the hobby for a living! Have a small shop in Cleveland, OH where I do custom builds by request, overhauls and full restorations or builds on new age Electric RC’s.

Wanted to share my Collection of Maxx’s. Never thought I’d have another “favorite” type of truck, now I have built and or sold over 20, own 5, and every family member has one. Every single one built with the good stuff, back when Widemaxx Axle’s were sold out so was darn near everything- I was turning these out left and right! Here’s what’s left, and there is also some of my other collectibles in the pics.

Lastly- I wanted to maybe help out if I could?

For us who have taken on installing powerful electronics and built the suspension to handle it; I have some insight on some tires that might help. I am a LONG TIME USER of (you know who) 3.8 Belted Road or Terrain Crushers, in every single color from Gold to Green to Red to Blue to limited colors back when they did that, and they hold power WELL and don’t balloon at all, if you’ve had them you know them. Great product. However! They crack, I can blow out a full set of the Off-road Terrain crushers just in my backyard and have 2 broken wheels, or I can take one tumble on a speed run with the Road version tires and watch them break in half. Oh and they’re almost $200 to your door.

Well, recently you guys probably have heard of or seen this one brand introducing “MFT” “Belted” tires in all shapes and sizes. The first time I saw MFT Belted Bandito’s, they were for large scale Xmaxx or other 1/5 scales 24mm hex applications. I bought them, because I have a collection of those trucks too- for $49 a set, I was trying no matter what! Especially for the Xmaxx, what a bargain! Anyways, I don’t have a “Street or Drag” Xmaxx setup but quickly made one. Let’s just say I was MORE than happy to this day they are holding strong.

But hey we are here to talk Maxx’s.
    2 weeks later, walk into hobby shop and there they are in 3.8 with zero offset. This meant I could grab a set for the 6s Maxx Street Setup Truck I have. But I didn’t want to lose width so I waited 3 days and 17mm Hex with 1/2 offset showed up!
    PN for the Maxx ones if anyone cares: DTXC5612

How are they on the Maxx? Well they are amazing. They are 47.99 a pair. They don’t have “bolt in Hex’s” for the adapters to shatter under power, they aren’t thin by any means cracking is not in the near future- can’t say that about the other brand on my other trucks. They provide cushion, flex, and can hold up to 6s on the street with a Widemaxx. I put in over 12 runs (12 full packs of 6 or 8s runs) each on my Xmaxx and Maxx before writing this, with the new “MFT” tires on. I’ve run hundred of the “Crushers”. In my opinion, this MFT thing is going to become the new standard, at half the price.

While you’re reading this, I’ll be on my nightly run in the parking lot with the 6s Street Maxx (Black/White, Widemaxx everything, VXL 6s, (2) 3s 5000mah 100c Lipos, Castle 2650kv Sensored (this Truck has an MMX for Sensored 4-6s but right now I’m using it in something else)

Just wanted you guys like me who are stuck in Condo’s or Concrete Jungles that find themselves on the street more than the dirt to know there is a very good cheap option out out there for you!!

Lastly to finally show some of my work! These are only Maxx builds. I’ve got just as many for every other Traxxas model as well lol, it’s one heck of a hobby/career. Cheers!!

-TGRC
    Tom Gonzalez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by GomTonzalez; 10-20-2020 at 08:27 PM.

RC poster

^PN for the Xmaxx 24mm ones

RC poster

RC Enthusiast
    Oh man I want those orange wheels!

RC poster
    I see that you removed the screws that must be fake beadlock? I don’t care for the look with the screws but didn’t want the wheel to fall apart if I took them out. I’m hoping you can confirm that they are just for looks? Funny thing, I ordered a set of these tires and wheels recently for my Proline MT 4x4 and when I couldn’t get a wrench to fit on the nut down in the wheel I did what any Rx addict would do, I ordered a Maxx to fit these wheels ;-)

RC Enthusiast
    So many cool looking Maxx's setups, love it!. I'm currently new to the current rc car scene (old rc car hobbyist from the 90s lol) and trying to soak in as much information as possible.

I just bought a Maxx and put on that widemax kit (8995G) and its only a couple days old. Love it, handles good for what im doing and have zero complaints thus far.

Question: With the widekit, im looking for bigger tires (wider and taller is possible) but I dont know enough if the stock gearing with the widekit can handle it correctly. I will say I do literally zero jumping/bashing atm as i'm mainly doing dirt roads, beach sand and grass fields to run it. With that in mind are there any tires out there that would run without tearing up any gears? Sorry if I sound like a noob lol. But any help/feedback would highly be appreciated!

Love the pics man!

This is my green machine!

Nice trucks! Thanks for sharing. How does the castle 2650 do in the maxx? I've got one I was pondering throwing in a roller.

RC poster
    So after getting my Maxx and bolting on the wheels I realize these are almost the same but 2.8". The size is great (to my eye) and they widen the track slightly which is a welcome addition. Disregard my previous post, these wheels are similar but do have beadlock screws on the outside that are functional. I will post a photos when I get it dialed in, I'm pretty excited about this.

RC Enthusiast
    With the bigger tires did you have to upgrade the servo? Or change out any of the diff oils? I want bigger tires on my Maxx as well but I have the widekit on it, and also the steel CVDs to go with it and fear that the servo/diffs wont be able to handle all that and bigger tires.