Question Painting my first body shell and I have questions.

How long should you wait for paint to cure between coats? Also, how long should you wait for paint to dry before spraying new colors on? What is a time estimation for a 3 color body (bumpers main body and backing color)? I am using testors pactra paint.
    Last edited by GreenSpider25; 10-21-2020 at 11:40 AM.
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpider25 View Post
    How long should you wait for paint to cure between coats? Also, how long should you wait for paint to dry before spraying new colors on? What is a time estimation for a 3 color body (bumpers main body and backing color)?
    It depends on the paint really, most spray paints dry pretty quickly (10-15 minutes), though as long as you are applying even coats then you should be able to apply another coat in 5-10 minutes. I have never painted a body before as I love the look of pre-painted bodies but I do have quite a bit of experience with spray paint as I use it in a lot of other projects that I work on. personally I usually wait 10 minutes to apply a second coat but I just do that to ensure that my coats are perfectly even.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

I heard on a different forum that you need to wait a couple of hours between painting different colors. Is this true? I don'e want my paint job to bleed through. I am using testors pactra rc paint.

RC Qualifier
    I heard on a different forum that you need to wait a couple of hours between painting different colors. Is this true? I don'e want my paint job to bleed through. I am using testors pactra rc paint.
    If you are adding a different color layer then I would wait until your previous layer is completely dry. you should be able to touch it without any problem, this can take anywhere from 30-90 minutes. Does the paint have any directions on it? It should tell you the estimated set time and cure time, for painting a new color you will probably want to wait for the cure time.

RC Qualifier
    Some paints require a backer, you should spray this before changing to a different color. To be safe you could let your first color completely dry and mask it off before spraying a second color although I have never had the backer color or a solid main color bleed through. But the longer you let it dry the less problem you'll have with bleeding/lifting.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

I am using florescent paint. Should I paint the main florescent color, back it, then do my silver bumper details?

You should check out videos from the manufacturer for tips and tricks:

https://www.testors.com/pages/inspir...pactra-Videos/

Good luck!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    You should check out videos from the manufacturer for tips and tricks:

https://www.testors.com/pages/inspir...pactra-Videos/

Good luck!
    The best advice you could get. I painted a car recently with a translucent metallic red and without seeing the video on the recommended backing colors I used gold and it ended up looking like champagne metallic, not the color I was looking for.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Do you guys think that waiting 1 hour between colors is enough time?

RC Qualifier
    Do you guys think that waiting 1 hour between colors is enough time?
    It definitely should be.

I just finished painting! Maybe I can get pictures up tomorrow.

This is what the body looks like finished on my stampede. I think it turned out okay considering it was my first body that I ever painted.

RC Qualifier
    This is what the body looks like finished on my stampede. I think it turned out okay considering it was my first body that I ever painted.
    Are you kidding, it looks great! I love that you matched the body to the color of the parts!
    Last edited by ElectricPropils; 10-29-2020 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

It looks really washed out on camera, but in person, some of the white backing color shows through because I didn't put enough green. The way it looks in person is not unlike what an old car looks like after sitting in the sun for 20 years, but it is okay as this body is a replica of an old truck.