RC poster

Steps 1 to 3... at least for me

New guy here. Been browsing the forums for the past few days and discovered 3 steps beginners most likely take...

1. See someone tooling around with a Traxxas (camping in my case) and become a kid again.
    2. Look up some info online and have no idea what to choose.
    3. Browse the forums and figure out none of the stock models were good enough for your beginner self anyway, so you may as well buy one of each and modify them all.

I'm not going to buy them all. I am however still clueless as to what I want/need.

Here's what I can see myself doing with a Traxxas.

1. I like to go fast.
    2. I like to run over things.
    3. I like to watch things jump.
    4. I like to have fun and all of the above would be fun!

Should I stop thinking and buy the best all around and leave it stock for awhile? Then as I get deeper into it worry about the rest?

Thanks for helping contribute to a new addiction... I mean hobby.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky_8 View Post
    New guy here. Been browsing the forums for the past few days and discovered 3 steps beginners most likely take...

1. See someone tooling around with a Traxxas (camping in my case) and become a kid again.
    2. Look up some info online and have no idea what to choose.
    3. Browse the forums and figure out none of the stock models were good enough for your beginner self anyway, so you may as well buy one of each and modify them all.

I'm not going to buy them all. I am however still clueless as to what I want/need.

Here's what I can see myself doing with a Traxxas.

1. I like to go fast.
    2. I like to run over things.
    3. I like to watch things jump.
    4. I like to have fun and all of the above would be fun!

Should I stop thinking and buy the best all around and leave it stock for awhile? Then as I get deeper into it worry about the rest?

Thanks for helping contribute to a new addiction... I mean hobby.
    You.... Um..... Honestly there are soo many good models that fit under those points that I don't know what to recommend, what is your budget? I would just say X-MAXX but I don't know what your limitations are.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    You.... Um..... Honestly there are soo many good models that fit under those points that I don't know what to recommend, what is your budget? I would just say X-MAXX but I don't know what your limitations are.
    There are too many good models that fit the bill! That was the problem. Then we start talking about mods, batteries, the list goes on and makes the head spin.

All in budget right now would be under $600.

RC Qualifier
    There are too many good models that fit the bill! That was the problem. Then we start talking about mods, batteries, the list goes on and makes the head spin.

All in budget right now would be under $600.
    I would probably say the Rustler 4x4 VXL then because it is plenty fast and powerful, along with the fact that it jumps well and is 4 wheel drive. It's probably your best bet, it also leaves you with around 100 dollars to spend on a 3s lipo and charger. I don't have any experience with it but maybe someone on these forums that has one will charm in and tell you if they like it or not.

RC poster
    I would probably say the Rustler 4x4 VXL then because it is plenty fast and powerful, along with the fact that it jumps well and is 4 wheel drive. It's probably your best bet, it also leaves you with around 100 dollars to spend on a 3s lipo and charger. I don't have any experience with it but maybe someone on these forums that has one will charm in and tell you if they like it or not.
    Thanks! I'm just down south of you in the Houston area...

RC Qualifier
    Nice, my cousins live down in houston. I actually live like 30 minutes from the Traxxas so that's pretty cool.

I'm a semi beginner, and I too recommend the Rustler 4x4 VXL. It's not giant, so it's still easy to use, but it's still really fast. It's fairly reliable in stock form, and it's not too expensive either!

Rustler 4x4 VXL

Too many bugs in Texas... No thankyou!

Anhoo…

Likely you want something like the Traxxas Hoss, its meets all of the criteria you stated, and has a slew of Traxxas' latest parts in it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Welcome to the Traxxas forums!

Hmmm... If budget allows, I would get the Maxx.

On a side note: My sister-in-law and her family lives out in your neck of the woods. She's in Montgomery.

Good luck and have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been most back and forth between the VXL Rustler 4x4 and the VXL Slash 4x4. Looking at those has pushed me towards considering the Slash Ultimate 4x4...

And since I'm already thinking about "the next one"... I really want to build out a bandit for speed!

The Slash 4x4 Ultimate is a very versatile rig. You can make it into just about anything you want.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    The Slash 4x4 Ultimate is a very versatile rig. You can make it into just about anything you want.
    The LCG chassis coming with it standard is pretty appealing to me.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Welcome to the Traxxas forums!

Hmmm... If budget allows, I would get the Maxx.
    Good luck and have fun!
    I second the Maxx. It have owned a maxx and a slash 4x4, and the maxx is way more fun for me to drive. It is very fast and a scaled down version of the X-Maxx. Very durable and fast as well.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been most back and forth between the VXL Rustler 4x4 and the VXL Slash 4x4. Looking at those has pushed me towards considering the Slash Ultimate 4x4...

And since I'm already thinking about "the next one"... I really want to build out a bandit for speed!
    The only reason that I would get the Rustler 4x4 over the slash is the quick connect body and the larger wheels and tires. It's more capable off road in most situations, and I hate bodies like the one the slash comes with (literally EVERYTHiNG is thrown onto the chassis because the body captures all of the stuff kicked up by the wheels).