RC Qualifier

Question "How fast does it go?"- everyone

Hey guys, I hope your day is going well! I was recently thinking about Halloween and how I'm probably going to drive my Trx-4 around to pick up candy for me and it crossed my mind that no one appreciates my Traxxas crawler. Ok, that's a lie, I've had one family friend that was from the United Kingdom and has worked on Land Rover Defenders actually appreciate my truck but for the most part when I run across people that are interested in my truck the conversation goes a little like this.

Stranger: "Is that a Traxom? Or what's the name?"
    Me: "Traxxas."
    Stranger: "Oh yeah, I've seen those before! Don't they go like 30 or something?"
    Me: "I mean some do. They make one that goes 100"
    Stranger: "How fast does that one go?"
    Me: "Umm, like 10, it's more of a crawle-"

Then boom, they are gone. Obviously it's a different story with my E-revo, EVERYONE likes the E-revo. But I guess people just don't care about "slow".

What do you guys think, do you have any experiences like the one I just described? In your experience do people find more interest in nitro or electric, do they like bigger vehicles more then smaller ones? I'm just open for any input, this subject really intrigues me.
    Last edited by ElectricPropils; 10-22-2020 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Grammar
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

Common stuff...

The most asked questions are:
    • Did you build it?
    • How much was it?
    • How fast does it go?
    • Can I drive it?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Common stuff...

The most asked questions are:
    • Did you build it?
    • How much was it?
    • How fast does it go?
    • Can I drive it?
    What are your usual responses?

I presume they would be something like, I bought it, expensive, really fast, and no.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    What are your usual responses?

I presume they would be something like, I bought it, expensive, really fast, and no.
    Depends on who it is, their attitude, and, of course, what RC it is.

The last question REALLY depends on who it is. I assume two things when I turn my controller over to someone else.
    • First, I assume from the get-go that the RC will be broken when they drive it. This is for a number of reasons, but it has proven safer to set my expectations there, and be pleasantly surprised if it comes back intact. If it is a RC that I really don't want broke, like my comp crawler, they I simply do not turn over the controller.
    • Second, I assume full responsibility for any damages that occur while they are driving it. If conditions exist that I am not comfortable with, like a fast RC around parked cars that are not mine, or hapless bystanders that could get hit, they I do not turn over the controller. Case in point, my youngest nephew is a spoiled brat, and will do the exact opposite an adult tells him to do just to see if he can get away with it. He as purposefully repeatedly ran one of may scale trucks into something when his father told him not to, and for no other reason than his father telling him not to.
    • From there, it really depends if I know the person. Someone, kid or adult, just walking up to me asking if they can drive my RC, no-go.
    As far as the rest of the questions go...
    • It really depends on who is asking, and what their interest seems to be. If they seem genuinely interested, like it is something they are thinking about doing, I will go into specifics. But, it their questions seem like just mild interest, I will be very general and vague on my answers.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Depends on who it is, their attitude, and, of course, what RC it is.

The last question REALLY depends on who it is. I assume two things when I turn my controller over to someone else.
    • First, I assume from the get-go that the RC will be broken when they drive it. This is for a number of reasons, but it has proven safer to set my expectations there, and be pleasantly surprised if it comes back intact. If it is a RC that I really don't want broke, like my comp crawler, they I simply do not turn over the controller.
    • Second, I assume full responsibility for any damages that occur while they are driving it. If conditions exist that I am not comfortable with, like a fast RC around parked cars that are not mine, or hapless bystanders that could get hit, they I do not turn over the controller. Case in point, my youngest nephew is a spoiled brat, and will do the exact opposite an adult tells him to do just to see if he can get away with it. He as purposefully repeatedly ran one of may scale trucks into something when his father told him not to, and for no other reason than his father telling him not to.
    • From there, it really depends if I know the person. Someone, kid or adult, just walking up to me asking if they can drive my RC, no-go.
    As far as the rest of the questions go...
    • It really depends on who is asking, and what their interest seems to be. If they seem genuinely interested, like it is something they are thinking about doing, I will go into specifics. But, it their questions seem like just mild interest, I will be very general and vague on my answers.
    Thank you, that was a very detailed response. What do you usually say when someone wants to drive your car but you don't feel comfortable letting them? I never want to sound rude but some people are really persistent. Usually I end up saying something along the lines of "Sorry, I don't really let anyone drive it because I've put a lot of work in it and I don't want it to break." Sometimes if they are really arrogant they will respond with something like "I won't break it, c'mon just let me drive it!"

Do you have a better response that is better at shutting people down yet still comes out nice.

Generally the larger and faster it is, the more eyes it turns.

I'll take out a crawler, I'll get a few looks, but people will just walk by and go on their way.

A brushless Slash gets more interest, it's faster, some people will start to ask what's that called and how much was it.

Then you take out something like an Xmaxx or a Kraton, take it to the beach, and everyone will be looking at it.

Yeah, most people don't really care about slow things like crawlers, because if you take one of those 40 dollar walmart RCs and mod the outside a bit, they really don't look any different than a hobby-grade. Nobody's going to assume that a tiny rc has locking diffs, portal axles, 2 speed transmission, ect.
    Larger cars like the Xmaxx, you definitely know it's not just a "toy" at first glance, and when people see it hit 40 MPH, their going to be interested.

Sometimes I get asked if they could drive one of my RCs, ususally the answer is no, I have a couple of "shelf" crawler bodies that I use only for light trailing, if anybody flipped it over or scratched it......
    Larger faster RCs, I'll sometimes hand the controller over, it depends on where I'm at. If it's a big empty field, sure, have it, a kind of small park with people, nope. The larger ones are also usually pretty hard to break if it's only running on strait land, and a lot of people are scared to go full throttle because there's so much power.
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Racer
    Thank you, that was a very detailed response. What do you usually say when someone wants to drive your car but you don't feel comfortable letting them? I never want to sound rude but some people are really persistent. Usually I end up saying something along the lines of "Sorry, I don't really let anyone drive it because I've put a lot of work in it and I don't want it to break." Sometimes if they are really arrogant they will respond with something like "I won't break it, c'mon just let me drive it!"

Do you have a better response that is better at shutting people down yet still comes out nice.
    There's no need to explain. If the answer is no, that's it. If they can't accept that, that's on them. Just my two cents.

Rustler 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TITANIUM94010 View Post
    Generally the larger and faster it is, the more eyes it turns.

I'll take out a crawler, I'll get a few looks, but people will just walk by and go on their way.

A brushless Slash gets more interest, it's faster, some people will start to ask what's that called and how much was it.

Then you take out something like an Xmaxx or a Kraton, take it to the beach, and everyone will be looking at it.

Yeah, most people don't really care about slow things like crawlers, because if you take one of those 40 dollar walmart RCs and mod the outside a bit, they really don't look any different than a hobby-grade. Nobody's going to assume that a tiny rc has locking diffs, portal axles, 2 speed transmission, ect.
    Larger cars like the Xmaxx, you definitely know it's not just a "toy" at first glance, and when people see it hit 40 MPH, their going to be interested.

Sometimes I get asked if they could drive one of my RCs, ususally the answer is no, I have a couple of "shelf" crawler bodies that I use only for light trailing, if anybody flipped it over or scratched it......
    Larger faster RCs, I'll sometimes hand the controller over, it depends on where I'm at. If it's a big empty field, sure, have it, a kind of small park with people, nope. The larger ones are also usually pretty hard to break if it's only running on strait land, and a lot of people are scared to go full throttle because there's so much power.
    I noticed that way less people then I thought know absolutely nothing about mechanics at all. Even when I tell people all of the stuff my Trx-4 can do they don't seem to understand, and I mean full grown adult males. I can't blame them for not knowing what a differential is, how it works, or why locking it would be beneficial.

My favorite thing to do is race golf carts, that always blows people's minds. They never expect for my E-revo to catch up but it ALWAYS does. I've never come across a golf cart that goes above 30 so I basically can't lose.

That also depends on their attitude... Most of the time I just say that my trucks are expensive, and I do not feel comfortable allowing other people to drive them. Sometimes I am blunt and just say, "No, sorry". I am not rude about it, just direct; if they take offense, it is their problem.

With my nephew, I am brutally honest. I just tell him that he cannot drive my trucks because he does not listen to his parents. I was shocked the last time I told him that, right in front of my sister he said, "I don't listen to them because they are stupid..." My sister yelled at him, but you could tell it had little effect. If he were my kid and he said that to me, he would still be looking for his head... After that comment I told him that the answer was forever 'no', and not to ask again.

Hey guys, I hope your day is going well! I was recently thinking about Halloween and how I'm probably going to drive my Trx-4 around to pick up candy for me and it crossed my mind that no one appreciates my Traxxas crawler. Ok, that's a lie, I've had one family friend that was from the United Kingdom and has worked on Land Rover Defenders actually appreciate my truck but for the most part when I run across people that are interested in my truck the conversation goes a little like this.

Stranger: "Is that a Traxom? Or what's the name?"
    Me: "Traxxas."
    Stranger: "Oh yeah, I've seen those before! Don't they go like 30 or something?"
    Me: "I mean some do. They make one that goes 100"
    Stranger: "How fast does that one go?"
    Me: "Umm, like 10, it's more of a crawle-"

Then boom, they are gone. Obviously it's a different story with my E-revo, EVERYONE likes the E-revo. But I guess people just don't care about "slow".

What do you guys think, do you have any experiences like the one I just described? In your experience do people find more interest in nitro or electric, do they like bigger vehicles more then smaller ones? I'm just open for any input, this subject really intrigues me.
    Something similar happened to me, so I can definitely relate to that. I was driving my Defender (the body was fairly new at that time). There was a really young kid (maybe 5?) that asked me. He was pretty interested, so I gave him the controller for him to try. The first thing he did was to drive at full throttle. Good thing it was in low gear, but he quickly figured out how to switch to high gear. The diffs were locked at the time, so he flipped the car like crazy. I asked him to flip the switch all the way to the left to unlock the diffs and this was basically what happened:

Him: "Ooh! What does this do?" Flippity flippity flippity flip (and the diff lock servos were going crazy).
    Me (thinking of a way to get my car back while also trying not to disappoint the kid, and also trying to think of a good way to explain the diff lock function): "Um... try not to do that too much, and it's a function that makes the car go over obstacles easier."
    After a few minutes more minutes, LVC in the ESC kicked in, I had to also explain that it was out of battery. Good thing it's still in one piece lol (it's just dusty with a bit of scratches). He then proceeded to ask me stuff:

"What is it called?"
    "This car's made by Traxxas, T-R-A-X-X-A-S, and this specific model is called the TRX-4 Defender."

"Where did you get it?"
    I replied, "at a hobby shop, but you can also get it online on Amazon or eBay"

"Can I get a faster one, and isn't there one that goes like 100mph?" (I kinda expected that )
    "Umm... yes, you can get one that can go up to 30mph, and the one that goes 100mph is called the X01"

And then I just told him a bunch of other stuff about safely driving the car and charging the batteries (which I don't think he paid attention to, but oh well ).

I noticed that way less people then I thought know absolutely nothing about mechanics at all. Even when I tell people all of the stuff my Trx-4 can do they don't seem to understand, and I mean full grown adult males. I can't blame them for not knowing what a differential is, how it works, or why locking it would be beneficial.

My favorite thing to do is race golf carts, that always blows people's minds. They never expect for my E-revo to catch up but it ALWAYS does. I've never come across a golf cart that goes above 30 so I basically can't lose.
    I wouldn't say they don't know anything about mechanics, I think it's more of whether or not they want to know about it, but yes, it is kind of difficult to explain locking and unlocking differentials.

It is pretty amusing to see people get their minds blown by RC cars.
    Last edited by RCWilly; 10-22-2020 at 06:03 PM.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Champion
    I never left my RC to anyone if is not an experienced RC driver.

i like how quickly bystanders get bored with it;

i had an 1/8th scale nitro buggy out once, probly 5 or 6 kids came running to my yard at full sprint to watch. this was a big air session so it was repeated non-stop big air hits off a huge ramp. they were going bonkers, screaming and jumping around, could not contain themselves.

after about 10 launches or so they calmed down and then the ring leader kid said "let's go, this is boring, he won't even crash!"

also i love the confused and disappointed look on people's face when they ask me "how fast is it?" and i say "i have no idea, never had it clocked." oh the disappointment lol.
    youtube: rizzodtheRCvlogger

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    I never left my RC to anyone if is not an experienced RC driver.
    I wish I knew an experienced driver, Oh the fun I would have if there was someone I could drive with.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rizz0d View Post
    i like how quickly bystanders get bored with it;

i had an 1/8th scale nitro buggy out once, probly 5 or 6 kids came running to my yard at full sprint to watch. this was a big air session so it was repeated non-stop big air hits off a huge ramp. they were going bonkers, screaming and jumping around, could not contain themselves.

after about 10 launches or so they calmed down and then the ring leader kid said "let's go, this is boring, he won't even crash!"

also i love the confused and disappointed look on people's face when they ask me "how fast is it?" and i say "i have no idea, never had it clocked." oh the disappointment lol.
    I would definitely say that they are more fun to drive than to watch, that is the exact reason that my brother doesn't like to go walking with me when I drive my car.

I have gotten both my brother and his friend to buy RC cars (my brother has a Ford Fiesta Rally and his friend has a slash 2wd with OBA). The problem is that they never drive them, my brothers friend is more of a family friend as his family rides ATVs with my family throughout the year, and the only time he ever drives his car is when I tell him to bring it where we are riding at. He never does maintenance on his car so I am usually the one who has to do it whenever we meet, and even though he has a Traxxas battery and charger he never uses it.

It's the same story with my brother but he obviously has access to all of my batteries and charger, plus I have every tool he could ever need. But somehow, in the end, I am always the one doing work on his car just so he can drive it for 5 minutes.

What I find really funny is that whenever I am out driving my car on the trails they always wish they had theirs, I'm like "I told you to bring it." In which they usually respond with something along the lines of "I forgot!" or "It is too much work!". But the benefit of driving it always outweighs the downside of having to work on it. I for one actually enjoy getting to work on my car.
    Last edited by ElectricPropils; 10-23-2020 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Colored the text for clarity

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Something similar happened to me, so I can definitely relate to that. I was driving my Defender (the body was fairly new at that time). There was a really young kid (maybe 5?) that asked me. He was pretty interested, so I gave him the controller for him to try. The first thing he did was to drive at full throttle. Good thing it was in low gear, but he quickly figured out how to switch to high gear. The diffs were locked at the time, so he flipped the car like crazy. I asked him to flip the switch all the way to the left to unlock the diffs and this was basically what happened:

Him: "Ooh! What does this do?" Flippity flippity flippity flip (and the diff lock servos were going crazy).
    Me (thinking of a way to get my car back while also trying not to disappoint the kid, and also trying to think of a good way to explain the diff lock function): "Um... try not to do that too much, and it's a function that makes the car go over obstacles easier."
    After a few minutes more minutes, LVC in the ESC kicked in, I had to also explain that it was out of battery. Good thing it's still in one piece lol (it's just dusty with a bit of scratches). He then proceeded to ask me stuff:

"What is it called?"
    "This car's made by Traxxas, T-R-A-X-X-A-S, and this specific model is called the TRX-4 Defender."

"Where did you get it?"
    I replied, "at a hobby shop, but you can also get it online on Amazon or eBay"

"Can I get a faster one, and isn't there one that goes like 100mph?" (I kinda expected that )
    "Umm... yes, you can get one that can go up to 30mph, and the one that goes 100mph is called the X01"

And then I just told him a bunch of other stuff about safely driving the car and charging the batteries (which I don't think he paid attention to, but oh well ).

I wouldn't say they don't know anything about mechanics, I think it's more of whether or not they want to know about it, but yes, it is kind of difficult to explain locking and unlocking differentials.

It is pretty amusing to see people get their minds blown by RC cars.
    I actually don't like to let people drive my Trx-4, I know it's slow and all but it also has parts that can easily be broke if you don't know what you are doing. For example, I let one of my close friends drive my Defender and I told him not to touch any switches and the first thing he does is go full speed and switch into high gear under load. That is how you tear up your transmission.

I also noticed that people don't seem to understand proportional steering, it's either all left or all right. I guess they are used to the cheap toys from Walmart or something, there are few people that pick it right up when I tell them. It goes a little like this.

Me: "Here, let me show you something really quick. You don't have to turn all the way, you can just turn the wheel a little bit."
    **Proceeds to show them proportional controls**
    Stranger: "Oh, ok."
    **Continues to turn full left and full right, they are drifting all over the place**
    Me: "See how the car isn't turning well, if you just turn a little bit then you can control it better."
    Stranger: "I've got it"

It's the same thing with throttle, all or none. I understand that a lot of those things are learned over practice but I wish people would listen and learn instead of thinking they know. This is the sole reason I will never let really anyone drive my E-revo.
    Last edited by ElectricPropils; 10-23-2020 at 10:02 AM. Reason: spelling

I wish I knew an experienced driver, Oh the fun I would have if there was someone I could drive with.
    Me too, I'm just kind of by myself for most of the times. My neighbor has a Slash 2wd, but he doesn't really drive it, and I cannot find anyone at school that is interested in RC.

I actually don't like to let people drive my Trx-4, I know it's slow and all but it also has parts that can easily be broke if you don't know what you are doing. For example, I let one of my close friends drive my Defender and I told him not to touch any switches and the first thing he does is go full speed and switch into high gear under load. That is how you tear up your transmission.

I also noticed that people don't seem to understand proportional steering, it's either all left or all right. I guess they are used to the cheap toys from Walmart or something, there are few people that pick it right up when I tell them. It goes a little like this.

Me: "Here, let me show you something really quick. You don't have to turn all the way, you can just turn the wheel a little bit."
    **Proceeds to show them proportional controls**
    Stranger: "Oh, ok."
    **Continues to turn full left and full right, they are drifting all over the place**
    Me: "See how the car isn't turning well, if you just turn a little bit then you can control it better."
    Stranger: "I've got it"

It's the same thing with throttle, all or none. I understand that a lot of those things are learned over practice but I wish people would listen and learn instead of thinking they know. This is the sole reason I will never let really anyone drive my E-revo.
    Yeah... kinda regretted that right after. I've also had another person drive my TRX-4 like it had a manual transmission , and after that, I never let anyone else drive it unless I know they are an experienced driver, or if they are willing to listen to me (if they make any mistakes).

For my 4 Tec, I will let people drive it without the body, since it's relatively small and durable. For the body, I can't say the same thing... I spent way too long on the body to make it look as realistic as possible, but it's also kind of like 1:1 fragile (if you get what I mean). If the side mirror clips something, it will fall off, and if the car flips, the rear spoiler will break.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Champion
    I have any mates who drives very well, they are in competition too. You can enter in local groups via WhatsApp or others.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    I have any mates who drives very well, they are in competition too. You can enter in local groups via WhatsApp or others.
    I'll definitely have to try that, you'd think there would be tons of people down here that are into the hobby because I'm only a city over from Mckinney (30 minute drive from Traxxas). They must all be in hiding because I drive in a 2 mile radius of my house and no one has spoken out about my cars.