RC Enthusiast

Thinking about buying an Erevo VXL Brushless or Maxx

I used to have a Revo Nitro and an Emaxx. Sold them a while ago. Thinking about buying an Erevo or a Maxx for bashing.

I don't beat up my trucks that hard some small jumps, but mostly just off roading, ripping around in grass and dirt and parking lots. I'm not looking to take this RC skate parks and launch it.

I'm drawn to the Maxx because I hear it's really durable. From what I've been seeing It doesn't handle that well from what I can tell. It also seems like you really need to add the widemaxx kit (and the steel CVD's) and while doing that might as well add 17mm hubs etc...

I kind of feel like the erevo will handle like a champ and deal with the places I'll be driving it. My only concern is durability. I know all RC's break, it's part of the hobby, however minimal breaks are defiently a selling point in my mind.

What are your thoughts given what I have described?

RC Racer
    Erevo 2.0 is a heavy, fast vehicle. When it crashes, it has a lot of kinetic energy to dissipate. Even if you are careful, accidents happen. It is very tough, but plastic can only take so much. There is some truth to the rumor that the erevo needs lots of maintenance and repair. That being said, I love my erevo and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by omen View Post
    Erevo 2.0 is a heavy, fast vehicle. When it crashes, it has a lot of kinetic energy to dissipate. Even if you are careful, accidents happen. It is very tough, but plastic can only take so much. There is some truth to the rumor that the erevo needs lots of maintenance and repair. That being said, I love my erevo and wouldn't trade it for anything.

The plot grows thicker....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by emaxx21 View Post
    The plot grows thicker....
    It does indeed.....

I would say that the E-revo 2.0 is going to be more fun, it has a noticeably more power than the MAXX. It's probably equivalent to putting a Tesla Model S motor on a 4 wheeler, you are going to be popping wheelies easier than should be possible. It has almost too much power for it's good. It can do standing backflips, I can't even begin to describe how scary this is, to see a 15 pound object hurl it's self into the air, It's just violent.

Now, let's think about the downsides as there are a few. It sits low, though this is something you can pretty easily change (I did so by changing the stock pushrod mounting positions and getting bigger wheels). I understand why the stock set up sits so low (for racing, jumping, and overall better performance) but I prefer the more aggressive off road performance that the lift provides. Another downside is that the motor gets decently hot because it's not the best quality motor in existence and it is pushed pretty hard with the higher gearing. I've contemplated going down a tooth on the pinion to cool the motor down and compensate for the bigger wheels and tires but I decided against it because I'm worried that I will destroy something in my drivetrain due to the extra torque. The last downside to the E-revo 2.0 that I can think of is that it is so heavy, like omen stated, when it crashes there is a lot of energy to dissipate and that can cause quite a few problems if whatever you're crashing into is solid. Being big and heavy is also bad for transport, 15 pounds may not sound like much but after a while it sucks.

The MAXX is also a powerhouse, though not to the same degree of the E-revo 2.0 it still puts out monster speed and torque. If you want minimal maintenance then the MAXX is by far the best choice as it is built super tough and is universally known as indestructible. It also has the increased ground clearance and with the widemaxx kit you will get the better stability like the E-revo.

You need to remember that in the end the cost of batteries (6s for the E-revo and 4s for the MAXX) and a charger will add to your final price.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

I have never played with a maxx. But have a erevo2 and xmaxx.

The erevo2 will handle similar to your nitro revo but with all the upsides of electric. The maintenance and getting to diffs and so on are roughly the same as generally same chassis platform.

I don't know the differences from emaxx to maxx. Maxx looks smaller and a bit different chassis style than emaxx.

From what little I've seen. Maxx is like a mini version of the xmaxx. Xmaxx is awesome and my favorite rig. Can't go wrong with a xmaxx :-). Easy to work on and takes a beating. I think maxx has the same type of modular chassis type as the xmaxx. Which I really like over the erevo...

Servicing diffs on xmaxx is very easy and I can get both diffs out in under 5 mins and only about 7 screws a diff. Erevo feels like it's 20+ screws a diff and feels like your taking whole car apart...and 1h+ to get out... Not sure how to compared to maxx.

Erevo is a much more compact chassis so more effort to work on.

From the vids I've seen comparison maxx vs erevo. Seems like wide maxx kit is needed which pushes cost over erevo. Maxx a touch slower stock. But only 1 battery needed.. erevo has bit better in air handling.

So I would kinda look back at your revo and emaxx what platform did you enjoy more? Do know both are different than their newer bothers but I bet the handling would be similar and ease of maintenance similar.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    ...So I would kinda look back at your revo and emaxx what platform did you enjoy more? Do know both are different than their newer bothers but I bet the handling would be similar...
    I agree 100%.

I have T/S-maxx's so I understand the Emaxx handling. Big difference between the two (Revo chassis/Emaxx chassis). I'm the same as Acidic01 as I don't have a Maxx but had an Xmaxx. If you prefer the revo handling get the Erevo 2.0 or like the Emaxx handling get the Maxx.

The way I view the two is Erevo= performance handling and the Maxx=tough and fun!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    I agree 100%.

I have T/S-maxx's so I understand the Emaxx handling. Big difference between the two (Revo chassis/Emaxx chassis). I'm the same as Acidic01 as I don't have a Maxx but had an Xmaxx. If you prefer the revo handling get the Erevo 2.0 or like the Emaxx handling get the Maxx.

The way I view the two is Erevo= performance handling and the Maxx=tough and fun!
    Iím having a hard time deciding. The guy at my LHS said the erevo is pretty tough but did say it is more complicated to work on. I like that with the erevo I can use different bodies. Painting bodies has always been something I enjoyed. There doesnít seem to be many options for the Maxx. It also seems like the erevo is more customizable. If I get the Maxx Iíd buy the widemaxx kit along with the CVD axles. That makes the price about the same between the two. So that is a wash.

Besides servos what other items do I need to buy to make the erevo more durable?

Thank you!

The only upgrade that I did for function was to add fans to cool the motor. Traxxas has already upgraded the pushrods from the early releases. And the servo saver needed to be tighten (washer mod). The drive line is fairly indestructible. I will say that if your tight on space the Erevo will take it up quick. It needs some room to be enjoyed fully. It has held up great. So far I've worn down the rear skid (from gravel driveway) and broken a couple of rear wings. I think maybe a little bit more on the maintenance side is needed with the pivotball cap adjustment. (So far the teflon tape trick has worked great at eliminating that). I'm happy with mine and don't regret it. And if you don't mind working on it, or the extra screws when maintenance is needed i'm sure you'll enjoy it too!

IMHO I was thinking of getting a Maxx just for its smaller size. Once in a while we have family picnics (with young children) and it would be easier to transport the smaller truck. I wouldn't buy the widemaxx kit because I'd buy it for what it is, a mini Xmaxx. A great all-purpose take a beating monster truck. I worry about a possible a-arm getting broke on the Erevo, but on the stock Maxx I wouldn't.

I hope my rambling helped, LoL.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    The only upgrade that I did for function was to add fans to cool the motor. Traxxas has already upgraded the pushrods from the early releases. And the servo saver needed to be tighten (washer mod). The drive line is fairly indestructible. I will say that if your tight on space the Erevo will take it up quick. It needs some room to be enjoyed fully. It has held up great. So far I've worn down the rear skid (from gravel driveway) and broken a couple of rear wings. I think maybe a little bit more on the maintenance side is needed with the pivotball cap adjustment. (So far the teflon tape trick has worked great at eliminating that). I'm happy with mine and don't regret it. And if you don't mind working on it, or the extra screws when maintenance is needed i'm sure you'll enjoy it too!

IMHO I was thinking of getting a Maxx just for its smaller size. Once in a while we have family picnics (with young children) and it would be easier to transport the smaller truck. I wouldn't buy the widemaxx kit because I'd buy it for what it is, a mini Xmaxx. A great all-purpose take a beating monster truck. I worry about a possible a-arm getting broke on the Erevo, but on the stock Maxx I wouldn't.

I hope my rambling helped, LoL.
    It did. I just ordered an Erevo. Thanks all!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by emaxx21 View Post
    It did. I just ordered an Erevo. Thanks all!
    Whoop!! Happy bashing!

Probably only thing you need to do to your new erevo2. Is single mg servo at some point and perhaps a yeah racing heat sink and fan and tires.

If you run in small grit or water. Plug the air holes in the tires. And perhaps wrap them with kevlar string to prevent ballooning which will eventually ruin the tires.

I really like the Badland mx38 on the erevo.

I've gone through a few skid plates as my homemade ramp at the time would chew em up. But they are cheap... Rpm a arms as I broke the stock ones. Stiff springs and oil for the big air I do.

Drywall Fiber tape and shoe goo the body to help re enforce the body.

Get a ir temp gun if you don't have one to keep a eye on temps. Or get bt link module and motor temp sensor and mount.

My wing is all busted but still works

Perhaps aftermarket silicone dust covers for pivot balls as the stocks get shewed up easy.

If you don't have tools yet. A set of mips is way worth the cost. And perhaps a set of hex version for a screw gun or drill. (Always Hand tighten)

Have fun with your new car once you get it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk