RC poster

Squeeling noise Traxxas Slash 4x4 VXL Brushless (video attached)

Hey everyone,

I'm new to RC and bought the Traxxas 4x4 VXL Brushless 3 months ago. It's been running great, I mostly take it to the beach and have my dog chase it around.

A few weeks ago it stopped working, so I took it apart and noticed the gear had pretty much been shredded and it had no tread left, so the motor spur wasn't catching. I ordered a replacement gear and put it all back together. I also used a compressed air can to blow out a bunch of debris, sand and dirt. The spur catches now but it's making a terrible squeaking noise, and I'm not sure what it is.

Here's a video (note the dog squeaking in the background is a separate issue )

https://youtu.be/i6aQVd-JmKI

Any thoughts on what to look for next? It looks like the car could maybe run fine with how everything is working, but the sound is worrying.

Thanks for any help!

Hmmm, it sounds like a gear issue... Which gear was stripped? Was it the larger plastic gear (spur gear), or was it the small metal gear attached to the motor (pinion gear)? One possibility is that both gears are damaged. Check to see if there are any irregularities on the gear (sometimes debris between the gears cause that). Another possibility is a bad gear mesh. You want to make sure the gears are not too tight together or too loose. The teeth of the gears should be overlapping 80% to 90%, and have a little play in it.

Here is a video if that helps:

Hopefully the problem gets resolved!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    The larger plastic gear was stripped, not the small metal gear attached to the motor.

The pinion gear looks good and not damaged, but you know now that I think about it, I did put it all back together very tight so the mesh might be off like you said. Let me give that a shot and report back, thanks for taking a look!

To me it sounds like the mesh is too tight. If you've never done it before then cut a strip of copier paper or Post-It note and set between the spur gear and pinion then tighten the hold-down screws. Remove the paper and if it rips it is too tight. If it doesn't look like VVVVVVVWVVVVVVVV then it is too loose.

Soon you'll be able to do it by sight and sound.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    To me it sounds like the mesh is too tight. If you've never done it before then cut a strip of copier paper or Post-It note and set between the spur gear and pinion then tighten the hold-down screws. Remove the paper and if it rips it is too tight. If it doesn't look like VVVVVVVWVVVVVVVV then it is too loose.

Soon you'll be able to do it by sight and sound.
    Like he said ^ your gear mesh is probably way to tight, you need to back off the slightest amount. If your car sounds like it is squealing then the problem is most likely grinding gears. You need the slightest amount of play for a proper gear mesh.

I like your visual representation by the way
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC poster
    @electricpropils @doubleg @rcwilly

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply!! You were right, the gear mesh was too tight. I followed the instructions from the video and used a piece of paper, and now it sounds great.

My dog is going to be so happy, time to take it out to the beach!

Glad the problem is resolved!
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    Okay, well, shoot.

It was running fine when I held it up off the ground and the motor and wheels all sounded good at full throttle. But then I took it out yesterday evening to the park and it ran okay for 30 seconds until coming to a halt. I looked inside, and sure enough, the larger brand new plastic gear got shredded again.

Is something else maybe causing the spur gear to not spin freely maybe?

Check your bearings. Idk why you didnít look at them to begin with, but if youíve been in sand your bearings are probably gritty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could be setting your mesh wrong. All i do is make sure there is a tiny bit of wiggle between the gears. You should be able to hear the play but it is minimal at most. It almost sounds like a click when you rotate the plastic gear back and forth. I don't use the paper method. Never worked for me. You might be better off buying a bunch of those gears. They're cheap anyways.

Have you replaced the plastic bushing on the slipper shaft? Part number 6893x. Do you have any play in your driveshaft when its all together? It looks like your driveshaft is really scuffed up in the photo.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    @rocketzx1 -- which bearings should I be looking to change? whichever ones look bad?

@calebs0615 -- I didn't replace anything but the spur gear. I did notice that part (6893x) when I had to disassemble. The drive shaft does move and forth a bit but like you said, it's really scuffed up. Not sure how it would get like that, maybe a rock got in there?

I'm thinking about ordering a bearings set and going from there, just not sure which bearings could be the problem.

RC Qualifier
    Change them all. And any other worn parts. If its not your mesh, it most likely is a worn bearing, or a worn part in that immediate area.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I would just buy a bearing kit from Avid rc and replace all the bearings on your slash.

I had an outer axle bearing going out on my Erevo, and grabbed a full bearing kit from avid rc for 25. They are really good bearings. Took a bit to go through the truck to change out the bearings but totally worth it, you can feel the difference in performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to start cheap, go with the bearing I posted above. I bet that will solve your issue. I bought mine for like 5$ at my local hobby shop.

Sent from my LGL722DL using Tapatalk