Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

RazorRC22 - Slash Racer build video series

Hey guys,

I've decided to do a build video series for my Slash 2WD, converting it from a bone stock brushed Slash 2WD into the ultimate track/race truck. I'm going in order of what I think the most important upgrades are, first to last. The plan is to put up at least one video a week.

Video #1 is up on Youtube - LCG conversion kit!

Hope you like it! If you have feedback or suggestions, please post them in the comments. Thanks!
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Champion
    I'm looking forward to this series. I've done a few upgrades to my Slash and it's a really fun truck to not only drive at the track but to bash with as well. It's more fun to drive at the track than my TLR 22SCT 2.0!

I'm hoping to learn more through this series!!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

This will be a great build. You've got a good start & it sounds like you have a good plan going forward. Now that my Rustler project is winding down a bit, I'll be concentrating a bit more on my son's Slash. I've already done a number of things to it, similar to your setup & plan, to get it track ready. I certainly look forward to seeing your progress.
    Knowledge gained is lost forever if not passed on.

Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    I'm looking forward to this series. I've done a few upgrades to my Slash and it's a really fun truck to not only drive at the track but to bash with as well. It's more fun to drive at the track than my TLR 22SCT 2.0!

I'm hoping to learn more through this series!!

Awesome, I used to have a 22SCT 2.0 also, and agree that in a lot of ways the Slash is more fun!

Unboxing/preview of Upgrade #2 is up:

RC Champion
    Very cool! I also put the ProTrac suspension on my truck. I wanted to be able to share wheels and tires with my TLR. It definitely made the truck handle much better. You'll like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    Awesome, I used to have a 22SCT 2.0 also, and agree that in a lot of ways the Slash is more fun!
    Why did you get rid of the 22SCT? Just curious.

Very cool! I also put the ProTrac suspension on my truck. I wanted to be able to share wheels and tires with my TLR. It definitely made the truck handle much better. You'll like it.

I'm going to test it out today, looking forward to it!

Why did you get rid of the 22SCT? Just curious.

I knew they were coming out with the 3.0, so I sold it. I never ended up buying the 3.0, so I guess technically I replaced it with a Slash, hahaha.

RC Champion
    LOL! I drive my Slash at the track more than the TLR. The Slash rotates better in corners. Go figure. The TLR can get a little squirrely at times where the slash is much more planted .

RC Champion
    I also did the metal gear mod to the stock 2075 Servo with Savox 0231 gears, installed a hot racing aluminum Bell crank with built-in Servo saver (love it!), brushless motor, and I swiped the GTR shocks off of my slash 4 x 4. This truck is as fast if not faster than the TLR. I also run the tlr 22sct body on my slash at the track. Guys hate it when they find out they got beat by a slash. LOL!

I also did the metal gear mod to the stock 2075 Servo with Savox 0231 gears, installed a hot racing aluminum Bell crank with built-in Servo saver (love it!), brushless motor, and I swiped the GTR shocks off of my slash 4 x 4. This truck is as fast if not faster than the TLR. I also run the tlr 22sct body on my slash at the track. Guys hate it when they find out they got beat by a slash. LOL!

Nice. Are you running mid-motor on the 22SCT? That was my main complaint with that truck, it really wasn't meant to run mid-motor, it runs a lot better rear motor. The shocks are awesome on that truck though, definitely the best part of TLR. That and the bodies are great.

RC Champion
    Nice. Are you running mid-motor on the 22SCT? That was my main complaint with that truck, it really wasn't meant to run mid-motor, it runs a lot better rear motor. The shocks are awesome on that truck though, definitely the best part of TLR. That and the bodies are great.
    No, I'm running rear motor on the tlr with full stick pack 5000mah batteries. The track is an outdoor, medium grip track. When the track is blown and watered down, the tlr is fantastic. But the track will quickly dry out and develop a layer of dust on top. That's when it starts to get squirrely. The slash is great no matter what the track conditions are. I would usually start with holeshots when it's blown and watered, and switch to calibers when it starts to get Dusty and dry. The slash is just hooked up and planted no matter what. I just laugh when I drive that truck (The Slash)!

RC Champion
    I'll say one thing about the 22sct, it has way better steering than slash

RC Champion

I'll say one thing about the 22sct, it has way better steering than slash. I don't know if it's because I'm running a Savox 1257 in the 22sct or not. It just turns much tighter

I'll say one thing about the 22sct, it has way better steering than slash

It's probably the 3.5 degrees of rear toe-in on the protrac kit. It locks in the rear so that your Slash is great on low traction, but makes it a challenge to steer in the corners. Could also be your diff setting.

Try moving the camber link to the top hole on your front shock tower.
    Last edited by RazorRC22; 08-09-2017 at 07:34 PM.

RC Champion
    I'll definitely try moving the camber link up on the front. Thanks.

Sorry Razor, I feel like I'm hijacking your thread. My bad.

No worries, I enjoy talking about Slash tuning!

I spent a few hours today at the track dialing in the suspension and settings. Out of the box, the Protrac kit needed some fine tuning to get it to work properly. Hopefully I can get a video up by the end of the week with my thoughts on setting it up.

RC Champion
    No worries, I enjoy talking about Slash tuning!

I spent a few hours today at the track dialing in the suspension and settings. Out of the box, the Protrac kit needed some fine tuning to get it to work properly. Hopefully I can get a video up by the end of the week with my thoughts on setting it up.
    Cool. Looking forward to the next video. My diff is just stock. I should put some Bad Horsie grease in it.

Any track driving video footage?

Cool. Looking forward to the next video. My diff is just stock. I should put some Bad Horsie grease in it.

Any track driving video footage?

It would have been nice to take video of each modification and how it looks after the change, unfortunately don't have that. The truck is definitely better though.

But I will say that stock, I was somewhere around high 21s, with LCG I got it down to 21.5 s, with the Protrac, decent tires, and decent shock changes, I dropped to 20.5s. I think most of that was due to tires though!

By the way, I was wrong about the rear toe-in -- I just measured the Protrac last night, and it's 3 degrees (actually 3deg on one side and 2 on the other, but that's more of a tolerance thing). Stock is 3deg according to what Jang wrote, so contrary to what I've been reading all over the forums, there is no change in rear toe-in!

RC Champion
    I'll definitely try moving the camber link up on the front. Thanks.

Sorry Razor, I feel like I'm hijacking your thread. My bad.

Moved the camber link from the middle to the top hole. If the weather holds out this weekend, I'll get to take it for a spin around the track. Thanks for the advice.

Moved the camber link from the middle to the top hole. If the weather holds out this weekend, I'll get to take it for a spin around the track. Thanks for the advice.

Cool, make sure you also reset your camber to -1 degrees (or whatever you were running before).

RC Champion
    Got rained again today. Try again some other time

Upgrade #2 is published -- Pro-line Protrac Suspension kit review. Enjoy!

RC Champion
    Is it possible to run a longer shock in front to add more droop? This is one of the few things that bother me about the Slash. Great video! I learned alot about my own set up.

Is it possible to run a longer shock in front to add more droop? This is one of the few things that bother me about the Slash. Great video! I learned alot about my own set up.

A tiny bit longer. But you have to make sure the chassis touches down first when fully compressed. I solved this on my Slash 4x4 by using a rear shock tower on the front (and rear shocks), but not sure that would work on the 2WD.

FYI, did some more tuning on the truck today and moved to inside hole on the rear shock mount and inside hole for the camber link in the rear. Truck has ridiculous negative camber at full droop in the rear, this mitigates it slightly.

Happy Wednesday!

Discovered a serious flaw with the Protrac suspension -- the wheels hit the arms at full lock when the suspension is compressed. Need to clearance them with a dremel to get full steering throw --

Also got a little bit of track footage from today. Stage 3 upgrades in effect -- one guy with a Tekno eBuggy wouldn't believe me when I told him it was a Slash that kept passing him!

Suspension is working pretty good, jumping and landing and traction is excellent, but too much roll, especially at the end of the straight. Can't make that sweeper without letting off the throttle. I have some ideas on how to fix it, but swaybars would definitely be the best way.
    Last edited by RazorRC22; 08-17-2017 at 09:04 PM.

I gotta say, I've had the most fun I've ever had at the track in a long time driving this thing. You can just drive it over, around, and through things and not care about it at all. It won't break, and nothing will bend, so you just go out there and have fun. And it's hilarious when you pass other cars with such a simple truck.

I have more fun with this truck than I did with my Slash 4x4. Good times.

RC Enthusiast
    I wish our tracks had traction like that- its like racing on asphalt. We have the opposite: dry, dirty and dusty with no traction. Great video!

Quote Originally Posted by ejfiii View Post
    I wish our tracks had traction like that- its like racing on asphalt. We have the opposite: dry, dirty and dusty with no traction. Great video!
    Thanks, it's fun. Definitely a lot of traction, we run slicks in the winter.

Upgrade #3 review is up!

RC Qualifier
    Running backward on the track is so weird xD

Also, I ran slicks on my 2wd short course and still had loads of traction, but no rolls. You may want to put the slicks on now. I even ripped wheelies on the straight
    Last edited by SlashBash10; 08-20-2017 at 11:05 PM.

I think it actually drives better backwards, it flows better and is more about landing.

Good tip on the slicks! I'll have to mount up a set.

I'd say clearance the arms with a dremel like above, reset your EPA to take advantage of the additional clearance and try that. Using the top holes will add more roll, which may or may not be beneficial depending on how much traction and roll your truck is already doing.

RC Champion
    I still haven't driven the truck. It rained here every stinking day. It's what I get for living in the tropics.

Onwards and upwards, onto upgrade #4...

BTW, inner hole on the caster block is insanely good. So much more front traction and steering, I dropped the camber link to the middle hole on the shock tower. Front end is awesome, rear end needs some work now to catch up.

Man razor, this build is looking clean as ever. Its amazing how well the slash can handle with a good tune and driver.
    smooth is fast

Quote Originally Posted by Jigsaw49 View Post
    Man razor, this build is looking clean as ever. Its amazing how well the slash can handle with a good tune and driver.
    Thanks, yeah it's been getting better every time out. I was a little afraid the last few changes wouldn't improve the truck that much, but they've surprised me a bit. Still have a bunch more stuff coming!

Quick little fix today. I cut off the ears of the rear bumper and drilled another hole for a 4th screw to hold it on on the right side. I'm sure someone's done this before, but just something I looked at and looked like it would work.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast