RC Enthusiast

Hobbywing Xerun XR8 brushless combo... anyone done that yet?

So our brushed 2wd Slash is now going to get brushless for running on the track. And really just because we can and I want to push it and see how it does. Of course he’ll get the LCG, and also Protrac susp kit, shocks and whatnot. But I don’t want to do the Velinion. Going to do a Hobbywing combo and was trying to decide on how much oomph. Track owner where we run recommended the XR8 combo since these aren’t the smallest 10 scale. He’ll have no trouble hitting the triples now. But of course that’s a bigger can. Anyone tried this yet? I know I can just mod it and make it fit. I’m just curious to see if anyone’s already blazed that trail and to see how much mod was really needed.

Any trailblazers our there?
    Thanks!
    Jimmy

Edit: so I just saw the combo version I was thinking about... the can measures 36mm. Same as the 550 Titan. So maybe no mods??? Hmmmmmm ... Anyone?
    Last edited by JimmyJFlyer; 10-04-2020 at 10:36 PM.

I have the Hot Racing gear box, but if I remember correctly, the stock has pretty little space for a wider motor. If it is wider, you might have the get the Hot Racing gearbox, since the motor plate has less stuff on it, but if it is longer, it should have no problem with fitment. Also, keep in mind that if it is too long, the motor may get scratched or hit.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey good to know. Thanks! So it does look like it’s the same width. Not sure if it’s longer. It’s the XR8 SCT combo to be exact. Tho even if it fits, the gearbox upgrade might be a good idea anyways?

Also... is yours the composite or the aluminum casing?
    Last edited by JimmyJFlyer; 10-04-2020 at 11:14 PM.

The gearbox upgrade isn't that needed, since the gears are already metal in stock form. I mainly got it for the built-in heatsink on it, since other heatsinks don't fit that well, and that it looks nice. What I think will improve the handling is the Hot Racing sealed diff, since having fluid inside instead of grease will make it more consistent, and also that you can fine tune with it.

Mines is composite to save weight (and cost).

RC Enthusiast
    So I was looking at the pic on Hot Racing’s site... trying to figure out the heat sink. Looks like the blue convoluted cylinders? 3 of them mounted to the motor plate along the top?
    I’ll mostly be running on 2s since that’s the limit on the track which is indoor clay. Tho the occasional bashing sessions on 3s I’m sure may happen in the future. This will also be my kids truck so it very well may rarely if ever see a 3s. Not too sure heat will be a really bad problem. But will watch it on the 5 minute track heats. Daughters Slash is getting this too but to be converted to a monster Slash with bigger wheels/tire, gearing. She could care less about running on the track and just wants to bash but she does not need 3s either.
    Last edited by JimmyJFlyer; 10-05-2020 at 08:34 AM.

Yes, the heatsinks are the blue cylinders. Since the motor plate is aluminum, it conducts heat over, and dissipates heat. Helps to some degree, but doesn't completely solve the heat problem. If heat isn't a big problem, I would say save the money for something else, since it doesn't change the handling by much.

RC Enthusiast
    Really the only reason I would consider it anyways is only if it’s necessary to fit the motor I’ll get which has the 5mm shaft. Gearing may need more room. That’s where this guy comes in I guess. But if it’s plug and play without mods needed I won’t bother.

Yeah, I'd say try the motor with the stock first, if it doesn't fit, then get the HR gearbox.

So I did a bit more research, and it should be able to fit no problem. I can't find the motor length of the Titan 550, but i have the Castle 3800kv motor, and the XR8 just 1 cm longer than that, which is not by much (I recall that the Titan 550 is much longer than the Castle 3800, so the Titan and XR8 should have a similar length).

Also, for the 5mm bore, you might have to switch the spur gear to 32p, since there are very few 48p pinion gears for 5mm bores.

I used that combo in one of my builds...super smooth and lots of adjustability.
    MTFBWY

RC Qualifier
    The titan is about 58mm long. Generally classified as a 3660, but with the ferral ring its 38mm wide.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Enthusiast
    RCWilly, thanks a ton for looking deeper into it. Your help is greatly appreciated! Definitely helps me to know what I’m looking at when I take the leap.
    Synnergy, nice build! What kv motor did you end up going with?
    Steve g, good to know. Thanks for the info.

Thanks, I'm always happy to help! You've also helped me decide on the system for my Slash 4x4 (I think I will get the 3200kv) I was originally thinking of getting a Mamba X and 2400kv Castle motor, but spending $200+ on a motor and ESC for a 1/10 scale car is a bit overkill. Ok, actually very much overkill I only have 2s batts, so having a 6s capable ESC is waaay overkill. Before I saw this thread, I was actually looking for a sealed sensored combo under $200 that has a 5mm shaft, so thanks for that

If the Titan is 58mm long, then the XR8 should only be 0.5 to 4mm longer. The lower kv (3600kv and lower) XR8 motors are 62mm long, and the higher kv (3800kv and higher) XR8s are 52.5mm long.

Also, for the pinion, Amain shows a picture of it with what looks like a 48p pinion included (not sure how many teeth or the pitch or if it is even included, but just thought I'd bring it up) Here's the screenshot:

As for the kv, anything around 3800 kv should be in the sweetspot for a 2wd, since it is in the middle for torque and speed. It has enough torque to handle higher gearings if needed on 2s, and enough wheelspeed when geared down on 3s.

I have the Castle 3800kv, using the stock 16/90 gearing, and running on 2s, the top speed is about the same as the stock brushed motor, but it has a whole lot more torque (makes the tires wear out much faster, and locks the rear tires almost instantly when braking). I imagine that it will have a bunch more power on 3s (never tried, since I don't have 3s batteries). On 2s, it runs pretty cool, hardly heats up on cool days (70 and below). It gets a bit warm under direct sunlight and hot days (80s and above), but has never gotten hot enough for it to shut down.

RC Enthusiast
    well shoot! Glad I could help you as well! lol
    So that just about looks to be the same one I would choose. My LHS has them too. They are the ones that recommended it. That's also where I am cutting my teeth learning the race side of this hobby. Their indoor clay track is quite nice. In terms of KV I am not totally sure which kv I'll go with but I just know I don't need an absolute screamer but I do want the punch to make the doubles and the triples. And I'm not really looking to win with the Slash, just keep up and battle in the 2wd SCT mod class. I am also running an older 2wd buggy... AE B5M 17.5t for the stock class. That's where I am really putting my performance focus. The Slash is just for fun for the boy and myself. The 3600 or the 4100 kv on the 3660 SD motor is probably my target. The track owner is going to help me sort it all out. My son can't wait to be able to keep up with the other trucks instead of just being their moving obstacle. Though susp will have to follow because, as you already know, its already a traction roll machine. I can only imagine once the speed ramps up how easy it will be to roll.
    I'm real interested to hear how your 4x4 turns out once you get that combo. Make sure to post your results and of course I'll do the same.
    Thanks again. You've been a great help!

RC poster
    I just raced the 3600kv combo on Friday itís amazing I had it geared at 20p 90s and still had a ton of power. Itís a great combo canít go wrong. Iím thinking Iíll put it in my 4x4 at some point but I might try to squeeze the 4268 in it.