RC Competitor

what to use for bearings? grease or oil

ok so i bought some high speed bearing oil from an R/C shop online and went through the bearings on my carriers. ran it a few times and it seems like most of the oil is all over the surface with dirt stuck to it.

would it be better to use grease instead of oil. i have a jar of multi purpose lithium complex grease.. i just want something that will stay in there longer than the oil. to me it seems the time i ran the truck the other day all the oil is all over my truck instead of inside my bearings.

is there a thicker oil or maybe a grease that works better. i have never killed a bearings on a r/c but it seems like the Xmaxx is harder on them.

It's user preference...

Oil is more for racing and will need extra maintenance.

Grease is more for harder conditions.

I run marine grease since I bash at the beach. And in high grit cases and it helps keep the water salt and grit out of my bearings with minimal servicing. I even put a coating on the outside of bearings that will have high contact to to dirt as it keeps the dirt out, and I'm not worried about a clean car...

Marine grease does increase the rolling resistance. But I've yet to had a bearing get gritty or seize up with it in. Unlike the stock grease that they come with.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Yes oil has less resistance than grease, and grease will stay in longer.

When racing, thin oil has a slight advantage in racing for a little more performance, but the majority of racers break down their cars for cleaning every race, so it doesn't stay long, and the dirt gets washed out and re-lubed often.
    All oil and grease attract dirt as far as I know, so if you run in dusty dry conditions, you will have to clean them constantly using oil. If you pack your bearings with grease and replace the seals correctly, there is little room for dirt to get in, so you will go much longer between bearing maintenance.

Dry dusty clay particals have been my worst conditions for bearings. I use valvoline red bearing grease. I've had this can for nearly 10 years. It's still ⅔ full. Works great on all metals so far.

For plastics I use white lithium.

*Hint*
    On the xmaxx, the inner wheel bearings are very thin, and supporting heavy loads. They loosen up pretty quickly and let dirt in. They need checked every 5 runs or so. You will find them getting gritty quickly. I ordered 10 of them from AVIDrc for 10$, and just replaced the fts as they died. I got the rpm oversized bearing carriers for the rear.
    Last edited by rag6; 10-23-2020 at 02:18 PM.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    It's user preference...

Oil is more for racing and will need extra maintenance.

Grease is more for harder conditions.

I run marine grease since I bash at the beach. And in high grit cases and it helps keep the water salt and grit out of my bearings with minimal servicing. I even put a coating on the outside of bearings that will have high contact to to dirt as it keeps the dirt out, and I'm not worried about a clean car...

Marine grease does increase the rolling resistance. But I've yet to had a bearing get gritty or seize up with it in. Unlike the stock grease that they come with.

i bash in anything from sand to water to mud. something like this i don't really think anyone would notice the increased rolling resistance. i know i probably won't. i just don't want to take the truck apart after every run. every couple of months, yeah maybe but not after every use.

i bought a whole set of rubber shielded bearings to replace the stock stuff plus the rpm rears but then someone recommended the carriers that use 3 bearings so i bought bearings for those.

Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post

*Hint*
    On the xmaxx, the inner wheel bearings are very thin, and supporting heavy loads. They loosen up pretty quickly and let dirt in. They need checked every 5 runs or so. You will find them getting gritty quickly. I ordered 10 of them from AVIDrc for 10$, and just replaced the fts as they died. I got the rpm oversized bearing carriers for the rear.
    i have this grease https://www.grainger.com/product/MAG...-Grease-43Y912 i also have a tube of red n tacky in a grease gun.

i already did the larger rear inner bearings and found some that someone on here recommended that have 3 bearings per carrier. outer one, a middle one, and a bigger outer one. same thing for all four corners. they use the larger bearing for the fronts too.

looks like i'm going grease from now on.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Third bearing for the rpm rears???

How do they use a larger bearing for the front???

RC Competitor
    Third bearing for the rpm rears???

How do they use a larger bearing for the front???
    no these are aluminum carriers.. bigger outer one like the rpm bearings but these add another bearing in the middle. i mainly wanted them since they get rid of that crap tiny bearing in the front.. i made a post asking why they didn't add the bigger bearing for the front like they did the rear. it's still going to see the same kind of abuse isn't it.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/VITAVON-CNC....c101195.m1851

Holy expensive!!! I could buy 200 ft bearings lol

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

You'd think for the price that you would get sealed bearings not shielded. Or don't offer the bearings and drop the price.

It is the only option though if wanting to get bigger bearings in the front. So kudos there. Still a tough pill to swallow at $140 just for the fronts. That's a lot of standard bearings too go through to justify them for me.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    You'd think for the price that you would get sealed bearings not shielded. Or don't offer the bearings and drop the price.

It is the only option though if wanting to get bigger bearings in the front. So kudos there. Still a tough pill to swallow at $140 just for the fronts. That's a lot of standard bearings too go through to justify them for me.

I'll tell you what though grizzly, you got to admit at least there is now a company that realizes that a truck of this magnitude needed a third bearing for the front and rears. When I first got my X-Maxx and I was looking over those carriers, not only did I shudder at the fact of how small the bearings were in stock form, I was like how in the world did Traxxas engineers miss the part about where a twenty pound truck flying upwards of twenty feet in the air would have half a chance of sparing those two puny bearings for the front or rear?

With the three bearing design and sleeve the truck now has half a chance of needing less carrier bearing maintenance from hard landings. Sure it is four more bearings to have to worry about as far as packing them with grease, but at least the only reason you would be taking it apart is not because they failed; but rather to re-grease them.

I will probably get a very nice set of ceramic bearings to accommodate their rather more common sense approach carriers to a twenty pound truck.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 10-23-2020 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Updated.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

Yeah, that's what I've heard which made me rethink the frequency of maintenance for bearings...bashing vs. racing.

Just the day before yesterday, I packed my bearings full using Marine grease. I believe Traxxas uses grease too.

Here's some pics of my X-Maxx right now... She sure is a lot cleaner. Takes some time but it's fun to work on this truck!

I wonder why rpm refuses to make oversized ft carriers??? They would probably wind up on 75% of all xmaxx's that have ever been sold. Especially at 20 to 30$ for a pair of fronts...

I wonder why rpm refuses to make oversized ft carriers??? They would probably wind up on 75% of all xmaxx's that have ever been sold. Especially at 20 to 30$ for a pair of fronts...

That is a very good question. I would imagine it would all come down to this proprietary infringement battle that goes on between different vendors. Then again, RPM makes the rears and I didn't hear Traxxas kick up a fuss about that, so there must be some fine line documentation that explicitly states what can and cannot be manufactured/re-manufactured as ones own idea.

Since the Traxxas front carriers incorporate a new style of turning knuckle not seen on other RC's, manufacturers may be afraid to touch that one for fear of retaliation for infringement upon an original idea.

Although........since these new front and rear carriers incorporate a third bearing and sleeve, this VITAVON company walked around the proprietary fence by coming up with a new idea and probably remains safe from the dangerous infringement game they play.

Just a rough guess, but we all know how each manufacture tries to corner the market with proprietary maneuvers.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 10-24-2020 at 09:17 PM. Reason: Updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    That is a very good question. I would imagine it would all come down to this proprietary infringement battle that goes on between different vendors. Then again, RPM makes the rears and I didn't hear Traxxas kick up a fuss about that, so there must be some fine line documentation that explicitly states what can and cannot be manufactured/re-manufactured as ones own idea.

Since the Traxxas front carriers incorporate a new style of turning knuckle not seen on other RC's, manufacturers may be afraid to touch that one for fear of retaliation for infringement upon an original idea.

Although........since these new front and rear carriers incorporate a third bearing and sleeve, this VITAVON company walked around the proprietary fence by coming up with a new idea and probably remains safe from the dangerous infringement game they play.

Just a rough guess, but we all know how each manufacture tries to corner the market with proprietary maneuvers.
    My question is how many people need front carriers. Outside of a bad crash. I'm totally rough on mine and no issues on front. So I put it down as economics. 10k people need rears. Only 200 people need fronts... In a year. Not enough Rate of return to invest in making the fronts. As where the rears it make sense as almost everyone needs rear hubs.

I just don't see that it make financial sense to make the fronts is not many stock fronts are having to be replaced.

But could be patent issues as well

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    My question is how many people need front carriers. Outside of a bad crash. I'm totally rough on mine and no issues on front. So I put it down as economics. 10k people need rears. Only 200 people need fronts... In a year. Not enough Rate of return to invest in making the fronts. As where the rears it make sense as almost everyone needs rear hubs.

I just don't see that it make financial sense to make the fronts is not many stock fronts are having to be replaced.

But could be patent issues as well

I agree with your very valid points since it does come down to rate of return on investments. I think the idea of the three oversized bearings and sleeve were an approach not to address just strength but to increase time between maintenance intervals.

And............since I know you scan the forums as much as any avid RC'er on here, the main gripe was that the inner stock carrier bearings were blowing apart, not that the carrier itself was being destroyed.

You know, I just realized something. Their bearing for the outer hub is the same size as the stock one. I thought the size of that one was increased as well, but it isn't.

A little error on their part!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 10-24-2020 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Updated.

RC Champion
    Yes oil has less resistance than grease, and grease will stay in longer.

When racing, thin oil has a slight advantage in racing for a little more performance, but the majority of racers break down their cars for cleaning every race, so it doesn't stay long, and the dirt gets washed out and re-lubed often.
    All oil and grease attract dirt as far as I know, so if you run in dusty dry conditions, you will have to clean them constantly using oil. If you pack your bearings with grease and replace the seals correctly, there is little room for dirt to get in, so you will go much longer between bearing maintenance.

Dry dusty clay particals have been my worst conditions for bearings. I use valvoline red bearing grease. I've had this can for nearly 10 years. It's still ⅔ full. Works great on all metals so far.

For plastics I use white lithium.

*Hint*
    I use this same grease.

RC Qualifier
    Take your truck, disconnect the motor, take it to a flat surface.

Then gently roll it back and forth while feeling and listening to what normal feels like.

Then itís pretty easy to spot signs of rolling resistance start to creep in.

Then itís just a matter of tracking down the gritty bearing.

Iím to lazy to clean and repack. I just run them to failure or replace the internal ones when apart for maintenance.

I am installing RPM arms and oversized hubs in the back this winter. I like tough and low maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The rpm bearings get gritty, and need maintenance if in dirty, dusty conditions too. It's usually a lot more than the 5 to 10 runs I got out of the thin stock bearings.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post

i bought a set of rubber shielded i'm going to grease for these. but yeah buying bearings on top of the price is annoying.. i kinda figured it a little bit this way to justify it. these bearings i bought will probably last for a really long time. honestly i may bash it a couple times a week but if i can put a set of bearings in and forget about it for awhile then cool. those stock inner bearings are just way too small.

Quote Originally Posted by Dmarzke View Post
    Take your truck, disconnect the motor, take it to a flat surface.

Then gently roll it back and forth while feeling and listening to what normal feels like.

Then itís pretty easy to spot signs of rolling resistance start to creep in.

Then itís just a matter of tracking down the gritty bearing.

Iím to lazy to clean and repack. I just run them to failure or replace the internal ones when apart for maintenance.

I am installing RPM arms and oversized hubs in the back this winter. I like tough and low maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i'm not going to be cleaning and repacking them all the time. this will probably be a beginning and end of season thing. like let's say in the spring and run it all summer and some time in the fall they get cleaned and repacked, i also run it every now and then in the winter so the time between when i run it in the snow/winter may get cut in half. since it's winter and i'm not going to go out when it's super cold to run the truck.
    Last edited by 95blackz26; 10-25-2020 at 05:37 PM.