RC Racer

Does the Proline Brute Body need any strengthening?

So I'm getting closer to buying an X-Maxx, but still got a few questions. Sorry to keep filling the forum with newbie questions.

I'm thinking about getting a Brute body to avoid wrecking my stock body. Knowing me, the truck will get hammered, so the Brute body seems a plan.

Question for those of you with the Brute body, does it need anything to help it stay in one piece? I'm thinking about things like washers on the screws, RPM roof skid plates look like they fit, traxxas tailgate protector? Or is all that pointless?

As always, thanks for all the help.

RC Qualifier
    If you are starting from scratch may as well strengthen the obvious spots.

Itís always overkill till it isnít.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    I hate to say this is the result after two weekends of bashing.

If I had to do it again, I would definitely do sheet rock mesh tape and shoe goo. Iíve done this to normal bodies with great success.

To be honest not the very impressed with the proline brute bodies.

RC Racer
    Wow. You must hate that truck to inflict that much damage in 2 weeks.

I was hoping to avoid shoe glue, well, from day 1 anyway. I thought that was the point of those bodies.
    Your photos are useful though thank you, I see the new traxxas roof plate fits. That's a win. Is that a stock tailgate protector on the back?

The problem with the "other" bodies you can get (that shall not be named here) is that they just take so long to arrive. The Proline is available of the shelf in the UK.

RC Racer
    Funny, I actually love the X maxx. I’m just hard on it. (Also not the best driver, still learning)

Correct on tailgate protector, just had to modify a bit to fit the ford style body.

But I agree with your sentiments exactly I am waiting for Putin to send me a body, they have them at WFO but still out of stock. Until then I will be doing surgery on this body with a heat gun to realign body Then a bunch of drywall tape and shoe goo.

RC Racer
    Lol. Have you had any issues with the screws pulling through?

RC Racer
    Yes, at first I was using the Traxxas plastic body savers with their flat head screw. Those were ripping through at the the windshield hood area.

Iíve since converted over to the WFO washer body savers and they seem to work much better.

https://wforccustoms.com/products/body-washers
    Last edited by afreek1000; 10-26-2020 at 12:48 PM.

RC Racer
    HOLY C...

My body turned up today, this thing is MASSIVE! My wife genuinely thought it was for a kids "Ride on" toy!

Obviously I still don't have the truck yet, but at least I can start to get the body ready now!
    The last body shell I painted was for my 1/18 E-Revo, comparing that to this is just ridiculous!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Chewbacca 3 View Post
    HOLY C...

My body turned up today, this thing is MASSIVE! My wife genuinely thought it was for a kids "Ride on" toy!

Obviously I still don't have the truck yet, but at least I can start to get the body ready now!
    The last body shell I painted was for my 1/18 E-Revo, comparing that to this is just ridiculous!

Let's go to job in this body shell.

RC Racer
    Put the stickers on today.

Still not mounted anything, I've not got all the bits. The roof protectors are just sat on the top still. Found a load of washers, so I'm ready to mount everything properly, once all the bits arrive.
    Had to grind quite a lot off the rear deck protector & the fit still ain't perfect. I think I'll get out the Tiger Seal on that before I run it. Should help it do it's job more. I may also glue all the mounts on as well, more to make them an exact fit the shell than anything.

Trunk should be arriving tomorrow so hopefully the rest of the mounting hardware will turn up soon. Rain, rain & more rain forecast, so not like I'll be getting to drive it.

Here's a few pictures of the bodyshell so far.

Really wish the roof protector was the same green, but I suspect it'll all be scratched up after a few runs anyway!

RC Racer
    Don’t waste too much time on that body. You will be disappointed with how it holds up.

What you have done there looks great! Love the design.

RC Racer
    Yeah, so a few have said. It was readily available though and gotta be tougher than stock.
    Only a couple of hours to sticker it up, so that's no effort.

RC Champion
    Put the stickers on today.

Still not mounted anything, I've not got all the bits. The roof protectors are just sat on the top still. Found a load of washers, so I'm ready to mount everything properly, once all the bits arrive.
    Had to grind quite a lot off the rear deck protector & the fit still ain't perfect. I think I'll get out the Tiger Seal on that before I run it. Should help it do it's job more. I may also glue all the mounts on as well, more to make them an exact fit the shell than anything.

Trunk should be arriving tomorrow so hopefully the rest of the mounting hardware will turn up soon. Rain, rain & more rain forecast, so not like I'll be getting to drive it.

Here's a few pictures of the bodyshell so far.

Really wish the roof protector was the same green, but I suspect it'll all be scratched up after a few runs anyway!
    Wowwwwwww, I like it very much, excellent work.

RC Racer
    Thank you.
    Looking forward to seeing it on the truck.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubin View Post
    Don’t waste too much time on that body. You will be disappointed with how it holds up.

What you have done there looks great! Love the design.
    Unfortunately I agree. On my second brute body and already falling apart. I even added shoe goo w/mesh tape.

Yeah, don’t even mention it. You’ve been warned.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-01-2020 at 07:44 PM.

RC Racer
    Finally got the body on the new truck. Just need to find 5 minutes to run it now!

I've decided to see how it goes & not really do any reinforcement just yet. I've put some bigger washers on the 8 mounting points though & longer screws. The stock screws weren't even close with the thicker body, let alone with washers on there!
    They don't look great, but I suspect with my bad driving the rest of the body won't be far behind!
    (Looking at the photo, I'm gonna have to move that front left washer though so it sits central on the bolt. OCD obviously kicking in.)

RC Champion
    Finally got the body on the new truck. Just need to find 5 minutes to run it now!

I've decided to see how it goes & not really do any reinforcement just yet. I've put some bigger washers on the 8 mounting points though & longer screws. The stock screws weren't even close with the thicker body, let alone with washers on there!
    They don't look great, but I suspect with my bad driving the rest of the body won't be far behind!
    (Looking at the photo, I'm gonna have to move that front left washer though so it sits central on the bolt. OCD obviously kicking in.)

Excellent job with this washers, looks great.

RC Qualifier
    You definitely did a great job with the body, you'll have to tell us how it holds up. It would be interesting to see how your driving style takes care of your work.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Racer
    I suspect for the first few runs it'll be fine. Gently does it with a new truck & all that.
    Once the honeymoon is over & it gets the same abuse my E-Revo used to suffer, it's gonna need more help than new stickers!

RC Qualifier
    I suspect for the first few runs it'll be fine. Gently does it with a new truck & all that.
    Once the honeymoon is over & it gets the same abuse my E-Revo used to suffer, it's gonna need more help than new stickers!
    That's the way it always goes!
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Competitor
    , that's a good looking X-Maxx! I spent an entire evening putting the stickers on, only to scratch them all off a few days later This body is definitely way stronger than stock, but with mesh tape/shoe goo they're pretty similar.

Traxxas has a strict language policy, please keep it clean. Thanks.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-05-2020 at 02:34 PM.

RC Champion
    I think the stock body shell is good, with the mesh tape/shoe goo mod is better, and the Brute too, maybe the mesh tape/shoe goo reinforce it.