Exclamation I messed up pretty bad

So, yesterday was the first time that I have gotten to drive my E-revo 2.0 since I've put new wheels and tires on it, and here's what happened. I am home alone during this incident as my parents went out to watch a football game.

I was driving full speed down the road to see how fast I could go on my new Badland tires and they were ballooning quite a bit more than the stock ones. I had done maybe 2-3 passes so far and I was actively trying to set the trim because I had also re-aligned the wheels a few day prior. All of these things combined, trying to trim the steering and driving with new tires, I kinda got distracted and turned the TSM knob instead of the trim knob.... So on my last pass the car started to wobble really bad, of course this caused me to go into emergency mode and I slammed the brakes. It was too late, the 15 pound hunk of metal and plastic hopped the curb before drifting 8 ft into my neighbor's mailbox. I backed up slowly to reveal a giant dent in his mailbox. I quickly drove my car back over to me to check for damages..... The only record of the incident on my car is some of the mailboxes paint scratched into the body (it was easy enough to rub out). I hear a door open, it is the owner of the mailbox coming out of his house (an Asian man about 5'10" and in his mid 50s). He yells at me from across the street, "Hey, you see what you just did? I saw that from up there, up in my office!" I come jogging over with my car in my hand, my adrenaline is pumping, this can't be happening. Almost immediately I start apologizing, I also offer to pay for the damages to which he refuses. After getting closer to the mailbox I see the extent of the damage. It also becomes apparent to me why my car didn't receive any damage. The mailbox is just Styrofoam with a thick coat of paint.

The conversation between me and my neighbor is short. He asks me where I live (which I thought was odd because I'm right down the street from him) to which I pointed in the general direction of my house. He tells me that my car is probably not something that I should be driving around there, I agree (though I have driven countless cars down that road, anywhere from my 50mph Rustler to my brothers 45mph Traxxas Rally and I've never had a problem, I don't really want to let one stupid mistake stop me from ever driving on that road again). Nevertheless I make a slow walk of shame home carrying my car, I am still in shock from what happened and I don't know what to do.

After being home for about an hour contemplating my mistake my parents get home, they seem oblivious to what has happened and I hope it stay that way. But my day isn't over as I get a call 30 minutes later, it's my girlfriend, our relationship has been on hiatus for the past week and it doesn't look like it's going to work out. I know what this call is about.....

Needless to say yesterday was terrible. Me and my girlfriend of 6 months broke up(my first breakup to add to the pain), I punched a hole in my neighbors mailbox with my E-revo, and I couldn't sign into my Clash Royale account (that's a whole other story). Today, as of right now, I'm sitting in class contemplating what to do. What do you guys think, I see you all as like minded people so I thought who better to ask? None of my friends think the same way I do, they are all very bad at giving me advice.

Some points to add, I don't think the neighbor will ever tell my parents as him and really everyone in that household are very inactive in our neighborhood, they are not social whatsoever. Me and my girlfriend also broke up on good terms, be both have respected each other throughout the relationship and we intend to stay friends. My parents would take away everything I own if they figured out what happened. I would lose everything I enjoy, it would only make matters worse. I feels so bad for the neighbor, i offered to fix the mailbox myself but he seemed reluctant.

I'm really sorry for the long read but I just had to get this off of my chest, if you guys have any advice or really any input I'd love to hear it.

Thank you
    Last edited by carraig042; 10-26-2020 at 08:43 PM.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC poster
    Iím a 49 year old parent of 3 kids that still plays with toy cars. My kids are 17, 20 and 22 - two girls and a boy. My kids have screwed a few things up too (I have too). Itís part of having/ being kids and human for that matter. Are you a good kid overall? Are your parents reasonable people - not under too much stress or frustrated with you over certain things? If thatís the case youíre very likely to be surprised that you telling them about the good and bad things that happen in your life will thrill them to death. When I was a kid I also feared telling my parents stuff (Iím a pleaser personality) but now that Iím on the other side I realize I shouldnít have been concerned about it. Being open with parents will only build your relationship with them. And I expect in the near future youíll laugh about the story - girlfriend and all. When you tell them two bad things happened today and you need their advice on what to do about them Iím expecting theyíll praise you for confiding in them. Good luck and remember regardless this too shall pass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Oh to be young. First things first, glad your car is fine, and you will be fine too.

As a technical side note, examine your car very thoroughly for damage. I smashed my erevo into a rock full throttle. It initially looked like it was fine (other than the shattered servo), but I had numerous part failures on subsequent runs. You can dig up some of my old posts here and see.

I might suggest telling your parents about the incident. Maybe in the form of a question like "how much do mailboxes cost?" That invites more questions, and you can tell the story. You don't get caught hiding things later, and you look like an upstanding person for trying to take responsibility. Who knows, your parents may think the neighbor is a jerk and tell you to not worry about it. Or they may push you to make amends. Either way, they know what's up and there is value in that.

As for the girl... Breakups aren't fun, but don't sweat it. Just take a deep breath and see it for what it is, another life event that you can grow and learn from. But yes, for now that sucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The mailbox looks a bit like this. I also forgot to mention that I haven't told my parents that me and my girlfriend broke up.

Last edited by ElectricPropils; 10-26-2020 at 11:08 AM. Reason: I added important information

Quote Originally Posted by omen View Post
    Oh to be young. First things first, glad your car is fine, and you will be fine too.

As a technical side note, examine your car very thoroughly for damage. I smashed my erevo into a rock full throttle. It initially looked like it was fine (other than the shattered servo), but I had numerous part failures on subsequent runs. You can dig up some of my old posts here and see.

I might suggest telling your parents about the incident. Maybe in the form of a question like "how much do mailboxes cost?" That invites more questions, and you can tell the story. You don't get caught hiding things later, and you look like an upstanding person for trying to take responsibility. Who knows, your parents may think the neighbor is a jerk and tell you to not worry about it. Or they may push you to make amends. Either way, they know what's up and there is value in that.

As for the girl... Breakups aren't fun, but don't sweat it. Just take a deep breath and see it for what it is, another life event that you can grow and learn from. But yes, for now that sucks.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Thank you for the advice, I'm trying to not be to upset about the breakup because I know that in the long run I will only learn from it.

As for my car, I am almost certain that nothing is broken. Like I said, the mailbox was literally made of Styrofoam so that absorbed a lot of shock. All of the front arms look good and none of the linkages seem to have damage.

Again, I much appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by simsy View Post
    I’m a 49 year old parent of 3 kids that still plays with toy cars. My kids are 17, 20 and 22 - two girls and a boy. My kids have screwed a few things up too (I have too). It’s part of having/ being kids and human for that matter. Are you a good kid overall? Are your parents reasonable people - not under too much stress or frustrated with you over certain things? If that’s the case you’re very likely to be surprised that you telling them about the good and bad things that happen in your life will thrill them to death. When I was a kid I also feared telling my parents stuff (I’m a pleaser personality) but now that I’m on the other side I realize I shouldn’t have been concerned about it. Being open with parents will only build your relationship with them. And I expect in the near future you’ll laugh about the story - girlfriend and all. When you tell them two bad things happened today and you need their advice on what to do about them I’m expecting they’ll praise you for confiding in them. Good luck and remember regardless this too shall pass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't know how long it will take for me to tell my parents, that is if I ever do tell them.

I am usually very open with my parents but we frequently argue over stupid stuff. I look up to my dad a ton, he single-handedly supports our family and he does it very well. Along with supporting our family financially, he also supports us emotionally. He goes out of his way and works extra hard to spend time with my brother, mom, and me. It is the same thing for my mom, even though she is a stay at home she works hard to maintain our household. I love and respect both of them like nothing else, but I don't know about this, both of my parents are leaving for Florida later today for some alone time and I don't want to stress them out beforehand. I know that in the future I will laugh about this so I'm not letting myself go head over heels over this whole situation.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to read and respond to my cry for help, I wish I could shake your hand.

I thought is was interesting that my neighbor witnessed the incident, obviously my car is electric so it isn't that loud, It was also pretty cloudy outside so it's not like he was admiring the day. My first thought was that he must've saw me driving my car and decided to watch to make sure I didn't tear up his grass or something. He had to been weary in the beginning because otherwise he wouldn't have been watching. This kind've makes me question if he has watched me any of the other times I've driven my car down that road. Like I stated before, he is not an active member of our neighborhood so I can't say anything about his personality. I wish his mailbox would've been brick, I would rather a broken car than a broken mailbox.

RC poster
    First of all the damage to the mailbox is nothing serious. No people were harmed and that's most important!
    Based on my experience the best approach would be to tell your parents what happened. Especially because it happened in your neighborhood, there is always a chance this incident will come to light. Maybe also think about some good gesture for this neighbor and discuss it with your parents. Together you should be able to clear this minor thing up. It's better to resolve this issue instead of carrying this burden with you.
    This should also build a better relationship to your parents. From your perspective you also don't want that your parents are hiding something from you

Quote Originally Posted by Nighti View Post
    First of all the damage to the mailbox is nothing serious. No people were harmed and that's most important!
    Based on my experience the best approach would be to tell your parents what happened. Especially because it happened in your neighborhood, there is always a chance this incident will come to light. Maybe also think about some good gesture for this neighbor and discuss it with your parents. Together you should be able to clear this minor thing up. It's better to resolve this issue instead of carrying this burden with you.
    This should also build a better relationship to your parents. From your perspective you also don't want that your parents are hiding something from you
    Thank you for your input, I'm glad to hear that no one seems to be worried about the mailbox damage. I will definitely keep everything that you said in mind.

RC poster
    Shake my hand? You (essentially) just did! Thanks, appreciated. I can tell by your other responses that you're thoughtful and mature beyond your years. You're probably right better to wait until your folks are back from their "alone-time", but otherwise don't sweat it. Sure they may get a bit mad at you but I promise you inside they're well aware this could have been dramatically worst. Chances are good the neighbor will let it lie (is a mailbox really that important?) but best to have your parents aware of the situation and there to back you up should they be so inclined. Stuff happens, people can be jerks about it, there are way more important things for everyone to worry about. Example - having fun with things you enjoy and trusting and building your relationship with your parents - that's way more important than a perfect mailbox. Be well!

Quote Originally Posted by simsy View Post
    Shake my hand? You (essentially) just did! Thanks, appreciated. I can tell by your other responses that you're thoughtful and mature beyond your years. You're probably right better to wait until your folks are back from their "alone-time", but otherwise don't sweat it. Sure they may get a bit mad at you but I promise you inside they're well aware this could have been dramatically worst. Chances are good the neighbor will let it lie (is a mailbox really that important?) but best to have your parents aware of the situation and there to back you up should they be so inclined. Stuff happens, people can be jerks about it, there are way more important things for everyone to worry about. Example - having fun with things you enjoy and trusting and building your relationship with your parents - that's way more important than a perfect mailbox. Be well!
    It's people like you, people that use their knowledge/experience to make others better than what they used to be, people like you improve our world. I strive to be the person I am because of people like you.

I value your advice beyond reason, to learn from someone whom has lived a successful life, Thank you.

May you and your family stay safe in these rough times.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    It's people like you, people that use their knowledge/experience to make others better than what they used to be, people like you improve our world. I strive to be the person I am because of people like you.

I value your advice beyond reason, to learn from someone whom has lived a successful life, Thank you.

May you and your family stay safe in these rough times.
    Are you sure you are 15?
    You are more articulate and well spoken than the majority of adults i have dealt with over the course of 50 years.You seem to have a good head on your shoulders,but more importantly you are able to use it to its potential.that seems to be getting rare these days

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Are you sure you are 15?
    You are more articulate and well spoken than the majority of adults i have dealt with over the course of 50 years.You seem to have a good head on your shoulders,but more importantly you are able to use it to its potential.that seems to be getting rare these days

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    17, but I much appreciate your compliment.

I always try my hardest to sound formal when I am typing, especially when I know other people will see it. From what I have seen (via my peers) it seems to me that people my age don't understand the importance of knowledge. They don't realise that knowledge is learned through experience, experience is learned through action, and action is brought upon by curiosity. I ask questions beyond that of my teachers knowledge and when they can't tell me I look it up. In that moment I learn, and because I sought that information on my own it's easier to remember it.

The rule that I follow is that when teachers tell you to remember something you will remember it until you don't need to know it anymore (ex: after a test), but when you pursue knowledge on your own you will remember it for much longer. For example, I was really interested in jet engines about a year ago so I did a lot of research on it and I can still remember practically all of my findings about the types of engines, how they work, what applications each one is preferable for, and even name each part along with its function (to a degree). The others at my age and even some beyond only do what they are told and nothing else, it's minimal work, they never go above and beyond because they know that it isn't required of them.

I'm sorry for my spiel, I just wanted to add my two cents. In the end I am always willing to recognize my lack of knowledge in various subjects. I do this not to admit defeat, but to learn more.

Thanks once again, I deeply admire your words.