RC poster

Power up program

Hi guys I've been upgrading things as I go, owned my rustler 4x4 vxl for 2 months now and really am enjoying the hobby, spending more time fixing my rc then my actual car lol anyway I was thinking about doing the power up program but seems to me limited information when I search

Basically I'm contemplating trading my vxl 3s and 3500 motor for the vxl 6s and 2200 motor, I already have 2, 3s batteries that I use so figured why not, but need to know if they would fit in the chassis, what modifications I would need to do to make them fit, and what else would need to be replaced...

I apologize if this is a noob question or if the answer is just to buy a different rc but any help is appreciated as always thanks!

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Pab View Post
    spending more time fixing my rc then my actual car
    Ha! Same here, only one of those things needs repair and the other one I just want to repair.

I found THIS THREAD where someone says that the 6s motor will not fit in the stock rustler chassis without modification, and that the castle 2400kV motor is a decent replacement. Although I do not know what ESC that is compatible with.

RC poster
    Hmm I had previously saw that thread as well but was a tad confusing because the motor wires and what not should have no problem especially if they come together... and they do mention the esc fitting, just wondered if any others had done anything similar or know based off of technical data... maybe I'll ask traxxas support when I get time... thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pab View Post
    Hmm I had previously saw that thread as well but was a tad confusing because the motor wires and what not should have no problem especially if they come together... and they do mention the esc fitting, just wondered if any others had done anything similar or know based off of technical data... maybe I'll ask traxxas support when I get time... thanks!
    The VXL 6s ESC is way bigger than the VXL 3s ESC, it is made for the E-revo 2.0 and UDR which are way bigger than the Rustler 4x4. The 2200Kv motor is also quite a bit bigger than the stock motor out of your car. It won't fit because it is just too big, though you may be able to find a motor mount out there that moves the motor high enough to fit. If you do put a motor that big on there just know that you will break parts right and left as the 2200Kv motor has a lot more power than your car is built to handle.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Qualifier
    40mm diameter 6s and 8s motors fit just fine. Two obstacles is how to mount the esc and the limited room for pinions and range of rotation of the motor being fatter. Get creative and you find many ways to mount the esc but 40mm 40xx or 15xx motors will bolt right up. Squeegie confirmed that you can run ratio as high as 25/31 mod 1 gear so that’s plenty for what this little truggy is expected to do and remain bashable.

I did the math and the biggest set up you can fit and still retain the radio box and the body mount is a castle MMX and 2650kv 1512 size motor, or mamba x with a 2200kv which on 4s should both make the Rustl4r run pretty wild.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...d-truggy-build

Last edited by TwoBelugas; 10-27-2020 at 03:57 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    40mm diameter 6s and 8s motors fit just fine. Two obstacles is how to mount the esc and the limited room for pinions and range of rotation of the motor being fatter. Get creative and you find many ways to mount the esc but 40mm 40xx or 15xx motors will bolt right up. Squeegie confirmed that you can run ratio as high as 25/31 mod 1 gear so that’s plenty for what this little truggy is expected to do and remain bashable.

I did the math and the biggest set up you can fit and still retain the radio box and the body mount is a castle MMX and 2650kv 1512 size motor, or mamba x with a 2200kv which on 4s should both make the Rustl4r run pretty wild.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...d-truggy-build

I'm sorry, my information was wrong. My brother has the Traxxas Rally and there didn't seem to be nearly enough room to fit the 2200Kv motor (I have the E-revo).

Thank you for correcting me!

RC Qualifier
    Though I still think that is a recipe for disaster. I have seen many spur gears stipped in my day from outlandish brushless systems in small cars, I can only imagine what would break if it weren't the spur gear.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPropils View Post
    I'm sorry, my information was wrong. My brother has the Traxxas Rally and there didn't seem to be nearly enough room to fit the 2200Kv motor (I have the E-revo).

Thank you for correcting me!
    The 1/10 rally?

The rally fits the 2200kv pretty well, in fact I think traxxas designed the LCG slash 4x4 chassis with the mm2 and 2200kv motor from the beginning.

https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...m2-MMx-in-mind

RC Qualifier
    i have heard of people relocating their receiver before in the sl4sh to make room for a bigger motor or esc. I think that's what two belugas did.

RC Qualifier
    I like to point out that moving the radio box to the front bulkhead and fit in castle 6s systems has been going on since Moses wore short pants, I merely followed the examples of countless people who has done it. Now squeegie is the master of how to fit everything together like Tetris.

RC poster
    I have the chassis brace from traxxas which I feel will be a problem, which technically it already is because I bought the telemetry expander and it will not fit with the chassis brace in place, so o have to cut the lower right screw off of that brace to fit it i imagine... just feel like I didn't do enough research before upgrading thinking as long as I was using traxxas upgrades I'd be fine but that's not the case so want to get as much feedback and info as possible before I go for something like that...
    I appreciate everything so far thanks guys