Thread: ESC smoked

RC poster

ESC smoked

So today I installed a new high output steering servo. Was running it everything was great then about 20 minutes in I lost forward and reverse. Now as soon as I plug in the battery the receiver kicks on and the steering centers with out turning in the esc. Did I burn the esc out. It wasnít hot outside and nothing was hot on the car.

RC Racer
    A high end servo can draw many amps from the ESC.
    To much amp draw can damage the ESC.

The stock ESC has a BEC that's limited to 1 Amp.
    A high end servo needs more.

You have 2 options if you have the stock ESC and want to upgrade to a high end servo:
    1 - use an external BEC for the servo. Traxxas has one (#2262) - it's not cheap but everything is included. But there are other options (Castle)
    2 - upgrade your ESC (the Hobbywing QuicRun 1080 WP is a good and cheap ESC with a 3 amp BEC).

Some choices will require extra wiring (DIY).

Yeah, the new stronger servo drew too much amperage, which caused a brownout in the ESC. The Hobbywing 1080 is a great choice, like StijnH said. I have it on my Bronco along with a Holmes Hobbies 21T Trailmaster. In addition to a better BEC, it runs much smoother at lower speeds, runs very cool, and the drag brakes are awesome (can lock the wheels at full speed on high gear). The 1080 ESC is also very tunable.

Note: The Hobbywing 1080 BEC can also provide up to 7.4V of voltage (set to 6V from factor), so if your new servo can take that, you can turn it up to 7.4V. However, keep in mind that if you still have the stock receiver, and or the hi/lo gear and diff-lock shift servos, the maximum voltage they can take is 6V, so unless you switch them, you may fry them.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Enthusiast
    There are a couple options to get you back up and going.

1. You can get replacement stock Traxxas ESC and pair it with a external bec like this, https://www.amainhobbies.com/traxxas...caAptKEALw_wcB. However this option is the most expensive but plug and play.

2. You can get this https://www.amainhobbies.com/hobbywi...112750/p564169 and it will handle your servo needs with out a external bec needed. However you have to solder on motor connectors or solder the the motor wires direct to the ESC wires. You will need a battery plug adapter assuming you are you using Traxxas batteries or any other battery not using the same plug as the ESC. This option requires some soldering but you will have a better ESC with out the need of an external bec.

I donít recommend turning up the voltage to 7.4 volts on the Hobby Wing if that is what you get. Leave it at the 6 volts. The Traxxas receiver along with your shifting servos are 6 volts.

There are other options out there and sure others will chime in. The 2 options I listed are just what came to mind.

RC Racer
    time go brushless with the hobbywing axe system its pricey but turns the trx into a monster

RC poster
    Yeah I have been looking at the 1080 esc. The service I put in was the protek 370. I kind of thought in the back of my head that the stock esc was going to crap out but I didnít think it would that fast. First esc then run the stock motor until the ghost comes out and get a Holmes something. Thanks guys.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadglidemaxx View Post
    Yeah I have been looking at the 1080 esc. The service I put in was the protek 370. I kind of thought in the back of my head that the stock esc was going to crap out but I didn’t think it would that fast. First esc then run the stock motor until the ghost comes out and get a Holmes something. Thanks guys.
    The Hobbywing 1080 is a must have for brushed stuff.