Thread: first timer trx

RC poster

first timer trx

hello,
    my name is cameron codes, i'm a 16 year old car junkie who's been brought into the rc world. my first real rc was an arrma (i know) kraton 4s, that i got for christmas last year. the thing is though, is that my father is in a jeep club. for some reason that's beyond me, he wont let me get a jeep, so i researched what crawler i should get, and i ended up with the traxxas trx4. the problem is, i don't know what model to get. i want one that can fit a jeep body on it along with some off road mods (sliders, front bumpers with stingers ect) any recommendations?

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!!!

Most of the Jeep bodies on the market are 12.3" (212mm) WB, which will fit all but the Defender and Tactical models (12.8" WB). From there, it all depends on what kinds of bells and whistles you want. The Sport is the basic model, just a 2-ch radio system. The Sport is what I would recommend for a new guy. The other models have two speed transmissions and locking diffs, which adds more fun, but complicates the drive train (the Sport can be upgraded to these functions).
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    If you don't care about the body that comes stock on it then I would go for the Trx-4 kit, you will need to build it but I think that will be a good learning experience for someone your age (am only 17 also). It is a good bit cheaper than just straight up buying the Trx-4 and it still comes with almost everything that you need to get it running. Because it doesn't come with a body you can go and buy your own.

Here are my recommendations

Trx-4 kit: https://traxxas.com/products/models/electric/trx-4-kit

Jeep body (all except for the last one should work): https://www.prolineracing.com/rock-c...g-bodies-jeep/

The Trx-4 kit has all of the really cool features like the locking diffs and the high low gearbox, I would be hard pressed to find a Jeep enthusiast that isn't impressed by all of that being on an RC car. Obviously you will still need a battery and charger along with 4 AA batteries fo the remote.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

I just recently got the Sport Kit and its been a blast! Putting it together was noice too, it'll be handy for future repairs and such. Unlike the other kit, this one comes with the body plus accessories. I really haven't seen the need for locking/unlocking diffs, but the 2-speed would be nice, I guess both would be handy for showing off
    I like free stuff!

Great to hear that you are also enjoying RC! Others above have brought up some excellent points. I would like to add that there are several different types of TRX-4 trims that you can get started with:

TRX-4 Sport - Comes as a kit (with an unpainted pickup truck body, and no electronics), or ready to run

TRX-4 with 2 speed and diff-locks:
    - Kit with all electronics, but no body (short wheelbase)
    - Mercedes AMG G500 body (short wheelbase)
    - Ford Bronco body (short wheelbase)
    - Chevy K5 Blazer (short wheelbase)
    - Land Rover Defender body (long-wheelbase)

TRX-6 6x6 - AMG G 63 Body (based on the long-wheelbase)

I got started with a TRX-4 Kit (with the 2 speed and diff locks), and I added a Bronco body to go with it (painted it blue and white). As ElectricPropils said, I think the best option is to get the TRX-4 Kit with the 2 speed and diff locks and get a Jeep body for it. The ones he linked to are completely made of polycarbonate and decorated with stickers (very light, and great for performance crawling). However, if you want a more realistic looking body, Axial makes a Jeep Wrangler body that has injection molded parts and light buckets (also has an interior and roll cage). Though it is designed for the SCX 10 iii, you can definitely make it fit with a few mods (the wheelbase is also 12.3", the same as the TRX-4 Kit).

Another option is to get the SCX 10 iii (it comes with the Jeep body), but it has several issues with the chassis itself. The 2-speed transmission it has isn't very useful. The second gear and the first gear ratios are pretty close together, so it doesn't make much of a difference. It also has less steering than the TRX-4 (without the dig function). The dig function can be useful for crawling, but it's not ideal to use for regular trail driving. Of course, that's only my opinion (I'm only 15), so choose whichever that makes you the happiest

Edit:
    You also might want to get a better steering servo and steel servo horn, since the servo is a bit underpowered for this truck, and the plastic servo horn strips very easily. Also, keep in mind that Traxxas ESCs come with the Traxxas connector, so if you are using a battery with a different connector, you may need an adapter.
    Last edited by RCWilly; 10-27-2020 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Spell check keeps on changing TRX-4 to TRX
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Great to hear that you are also enjoying RC! Others above have brought up some excellent points. I would like to add that there are several different types of TRX-4 trims that you can get started with:

TRX-4 Sport - Comes as a kit (with an unpainted pickup truck body, and no electronics), or ready to run

TRX-4 with 2 speed and diff-locks:
    - Kit with all electronics, but no body (short wheelbase)
    - Mercedes AMG G500 body (short wheelbase)
    - Ford Bronco body (short wheelbase)
    - Chevy K5 Blazer (short wheelbase)
    - Land Rover Defender body (long-wheelbase)

TRX-6 6x6 - AMG G 63 Body (based on the long-wheelbase)

I got started with a TRX-4 Kit (with the 2 speed and diff locks), and I added a Bronco body to go with it (painted it blue and white). As ElectricPropils said, I think the best option is to get the TRX-4 Kit with the 2 speed and diff locks and get a Jeep body for it. The ones he linked to are completely made of polycarbonate and decorated with stickers (very light, and great for performance crawling). However, if you want a more realistic looking body, Axial makes a Jeep Wrangler body that has injection molded parts and light buckets (also has an interior and roll cage). Though it is designed for the SCX 10 iii, you can definitely make it fit with a few mods (the wheelbase is also 12.3", the same as the TRX-4 Kit).

Another option is to get the SCX 10 iii (it comes with the Jeep body), but it has several issues with the chassis itself. The 2-speed transmission it has isn't very useful. The second gear and the first gear ratios are pretty close together, so it doesn't make much of a difference. It also has less steering than the TRX-4 (without the dig function). The dig function can be useful for crawling, but it's not ideal to use for regular trail driving. Of course, that's only my opinion (I'm only 15), so choose whichever that makes you the happiest
    RCWilly, I would've never imagined that you are only 15. Your word choice and overall etiquette is very mature.
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Iíd say the sport is not just for noobs. Itís for the crawler enthusiast, someone who doesnít need multiple speeds etc, to crawl with. Sometimes less is more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello! Welcome to the forums!

RC is a great hobby to get in to, it'll bring lots of fun.

And ok, now to the technical parts.

A lot of the main points have been said above, so I won't go too much into that, but a TRX4 sport is a great place to start, it''s relatively simple, and it's one of the sturdiest crawler platforms out there, if not the strongest one. While it does lack some functions of the standard TRX4, you do have to remember that most of the other popular crawler platforms don't come with 2 speed and locking diffs, so I see the standard TRX4 as more of a TRX4 + or ultimate edition. The sport kit is also much cheaper compared to getting a rtr, so there's that. It's also a kit, which will give you a better understanding of the rig itself, which is helpful when you're upgrading/fixing parts. However, 2speed and unlocked diffs mean that with brushless motor (or a good brushed motor), you can have a crawler/light-basher type of car.

The chassis itself supports 12.3, 12.8 and 13.2-inch wheelbases, most crawlers today are a 12.3 (313mm) wheelbase. This means most bodies will fit the TRX4.

In the world of crawlers, you have 2 types of bodies, Lexan, and Hardbody,

Lexan: The plastic most RC bodies are made of, cheap, strong, and light. They used to be severely lacking in detail, but nowdays the molding technology has been much advanced.
    They perform much better due to them being lighter. With a lexan body, you'll get a much lower center of gravity, meaning your crawler will tip a lot less, and crawl over obstacles better.

Hardbodies: Usually injection molded, sometimes 3d printed, their made of solid pieces of plastic, giving a much more realistic and scale body. They are quite heavy though, sometimes weighing twice the amount of a lexan body. Their also pretty expensive, depending on what you buy and where you buy them, they can range from 60 dollars to 100+. If you want more scale detail than performance, hardbodies may be for you. Heres one of the more popular Jeep hardbodies: https://www.amainhobbies.com/xtra-sp...9765ar/p766895

It does come pre-painted, but if you do want another color, some sanding, primer, and paint should do the trick.

For lexan bodies, the Jeep body from the SCX10 iii is one of the best I've seen, It should mount pretty easily, but I can't be sure.

And something about this hobby in general, when I first started, I though that you had to get the exact same part the instruction manual said, or something bad would happen, but the truth is, a lot of the time, some mixing and matching will work, and if not, some simple custom modifications will do just as well. Just because the manufacturer doesn't state wether a certain body fits a certain model, it dosen't mean that it just won't work. With some creativity, you can mount almost every body on the TRX4, assuming of course it's within reason.

Hope this helps, and most importantly have fun!

(Edit: and now that I'm looking at it, I wrote ALOT, sorry if it's a pain to read)
    Jumping: maneuver and pray it won't break.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by C.codes View Post
    hello,
    my name is cameron codes, i'm a 16 year old car junkie who's been brought into the rc world. my first real rc was an arrma (i know) kraton 4s, that i got for christmas last year. the thing is though, is that my father is in a jeep club. for some reason that's beyond me, he wont let me get a jeep, so i researched what crawler i should get, and i ended up with the traxxas trx4. the problem is, i don't know what model to get. i want one that can fit a jeep body on it along with some off road mods (sliders, front bumpers with stingers ect) any recommendations?
    Welcome to the Traxxas forum.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Are you more into the scale side or the performance side of your project?
    If into scale, the blazer and bronco are both stunning, and equipped with many options. The price is up there, but you get the "cool" stuff too. Add a light kit, and the truck sparkles
    If into technical performance, get the base kit... or a roller from a chop shop, then build your electronics, wheels/tires, body, etc as you go.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...