Smoke with my fan came out for the second time

How's everyone doing?

So a little bothered my last yeah racing fan smoke came out of it but I was cleaning up my rc plugged all my plugs back in the receiver and smoke came out my fan when pressing the throttle it tried to spin for a second then smoke came out
    Note my motor was unplugged from the speed control all three connectors
    Also I just now noticed that these connectors could be switched around which makes me scared or I been extremely lucky plugging it in the right way. Either way please help because I'm scared to turn on the car as this is twice now two times in a row, Thanks

Is there a specific way that these connectors plug in?
    I know Black is negative and red is positive, how does that come into play here?
    Can you guys please take a look at my wire orientation?
    Also found these pictures online.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

also feel like the fourth picture I posted the wire orientation is wrong, and is this fan safe now to turn it back on?

Last edited by Rico116; 10-27-2020 at 05:12 PM.

RC Racer
    Your wiring is definitely wrong in the first and 4th pictures. So you see how the pins in the radio form a grid? That's important. Let's call each set of 3 (each plug) a row in the grid. In this case, you have 8 rows and 3 columns. All the pins in a given column have the same type. Specifically, they go signal, power, ground. Ground is on the very outside. You need to make sure that the ground wire on your fan matches the ground rail in the radio. Then the power will be connected to the power rail in the middle column. If you have already smoked the fan twice though... It might be toast so keep your expectations low. That being said, I'm not sure why a simple dc fan would smoke from having reverse polarity applied, as opposed to just spinning backwards. Was there other damage from something?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks, Few questions by first and fourth pictures which wire is wrong can you point it out to me? and what exactly is a ground rail never noticed anything on the radio that shows a orientation like the last 2 pictures I posted, and when the fan started too smoke I left the fan wire plugged in the same way for feedback its the last plug on the very top.Also did have a crash the other day but the other fan the casing got bent where as too the blades couldn't spin anymore, and thats when it started to smoke, but before that that fan would run on and off. Your help is much appreciated.

The red plug guessing is your fan is plugged in backwards see mark up pic as item circled is backwards.

All black rights should be on the right most side. Red always in middle.

That black wire has some red on it due to how wire split.

Fan should not of let the magic pixies out if plugged in wrong. Just not worked or been reversed air flow. But if not enginered right it could of let the pixies out. Which I suspect due to how your other fan melted the wire in prior postings.

Swap plug and see if fan works. If not replace it.

Question is does the rest of car work with no fans plugged in? I hope so!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rico116 View Post
    Thanks, Few questions by first and fourth pictures which wire is wrong can you point it out to me? and what exactly is a ground rail never noticed anything on the radio that shows a orientation like the last 2 pictures I posted, and when the fan started too smoke I left the fan wire plugged in the same way for feedback its the last plug on the very top.Also did have a crash the other day but the other fan the casing got bent where as too the blades couldn't spin anymore, and thats when it started to smoke, but before that that fan would run on and off. Your help is much appreciated.

@Acidic01 pointed out the plug in question.

Ground rail is just a term for a set of electrical terminals all connected to ground. In the case of your radio, the "rail" is a trace in the radio PCB connecting all the pins in the outer most column. Similarly the power rail is the the set of electrical connected pins in the center column. The signal pins are not on a rail, because they are each driven independently.

Traxxas doesn't really call out this information, because they use keyed plugs that only go one way. Then people like us come along, replace servos, add fans, and generally walk the edge of voiding the warranty.

It sounds like this is the second fan you have smoked, but for different reasons.

Just as a sanity check, does the fan spin freely if you poke it with your finger? Maybe with just a little bit of magnetic resistance from the magnets and coils interacting?

The fans should spin relatively free with just a tad of resistance...I never run any of my fans off of my receivers. I run all my fan set ups off of a 2s reciever lipo pack, stand alone. On my basher Revo...I have gone through so many fans, smashed plastic ones, bent aluminum housings, broken blades, torn wires all due to crashes. Its nice to know they are stand alone and not tied to my actual truck for any issues. Just a thought for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    The red plug guessing is your fan is plugged in backwards see mark up pic as item circled is backwards.

All black rights should be on the right most side. Red always in middle.

That black wire has some red on it due to how wire split.

Fan should not of let the magic pixies out if plugged in wrong. Just not worked or been reversed air flow. But if not enginered right it could of let the pixies out. Which I suspect due to how your other fan melted the wire in prior postings.

Swap plug and see if fan works. If not replace it.

Question is does the rest of car work with no fans plugged in? I hope so!

Thank you for the information the fan does not work its completely fried guess I try soldering a new lead on it in the future just for experimenting. The car still works I just got no fans now.

Quote Originally Posted by omen View Post
    @Acidic01 pointed out the plug in question.

Ground rail is just a term for a set of electrical terminals all connected to ground. In the case of your radio, the "rail" is a trace in the radio PCB connecting all the pins in the outer most column. Similarly the power rail is the the set of electrical connected pins in the center column. The signal pins are not on a rail, because they are each driven independently.

Traxxas doesn't really call out this information, because they use keyed plugs that only go one way. Then people like us come along, replace servos, add fans, and generally walk the edge of voiding the warranty.

It sounds like this is the second fan you have smoked, but for different reasons.

Just as a sanity check, does the fan spin freely if you poke it with your finger? Maybe with just a little bit of magnetic resistance from the magnets and coils interacting?

Good to know. The fan still spins with a bit of resistance just won't turn on.

Quote Originally Posted by RICK DIZZLE View Post
    The fans should spin relatively free with just a tad of resistance...I never run any of my fans off of my receivers. I run all my fan set ups off of a 2s reciever lipo pack, stand alone. On my basher Revo...I have gone through so many fans, smashed plastic ones, bent aluminum housings, broken blades, torn wires all due to crashes. Its nice to know they are stand alone and not tied to my actual truck for any issues. Just a thought for ya.
    Thanks for the thought. How exactly do these receiver lipo packs work? I looked at them but not sure do you buy a whole separate receiver and then plug the battery in the stand-alone receiver and the receiver pack should just power up the receiver so you could run accessories off of it without actually programming the receiver to a transmitter?

I wired my fans together to one plug. Then you just plug them directly into a 2s receiver battery. Just be disciplined in checking your voltage between runs. I usually just recharge the receiver pack each time I charge my primary batteries. Never had an issue in years. Other then destroying fans in my basher Revo...lol. Trashed several plastic housing Yeah fans...now I bent my aluminum cased fans lol...it happens. I can post some pics tomorrow for ya.

thanks for the clarification. I never quite understood how receiver packs works.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico116 View Post
    thanks for the clarification. I never quite understood how receiver packs works.

Receiver packs are normally used on nitro cars and nitro planes helis as there are no other batteries to power the electronics.