RC poster

Rounded Grub Screw in Wheel Hub

Hello, thanks for taking the time to read my post. As the title states, i had a bit of an accident with one of the grubs in my front right Wheel hub (the one that holds the pins to release the hub). Over applied pressure and rounded of the head. My question is: does anyone know what kind of Grub Screw is in there? When i do a Google search, all im getting is the entire aluminum hub package that describes the grub screw as "4x5 GS".
    When looking through the spare parts list for the E Revo 2.0, the hardware section lists 6 x 4mm Grub Screws - Just trying to figure out if i can replace the rounded out grub with one that is used to secure the pinion to the motor.

Thanks in advance!

RC poster

Further wrenching uncovers..

So I managed to get the Grub Screw out fairly easily by wiping the surface down WD40 and hammering the pin out of the hub and then grabbing the stripped screw with a rubber band between the hex head and the screw. Worked easily enough.

Also, it turns out that the Grub screw in the Hub is an M3 (2.5mm head) and 5mm in length - this is one inch longer than the grub that fits in your pinion but that didn't cause any issues for me. Loctite-d that bad boi in there and its a great fit!

All is well!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganjamulla View Post
    So I managed to get the Grub Screw out fairly easily by wiping the surface down WD40 and hammering the pin out of the hub and then grabbing the stripped screw with a rubber band between the hex head and the screw. Worked easily enough.

Also, it turns out that the Grub screw in the Hub is an M3 (2.5mm head) and 5mm in length - this is one inch longer than the grub that fits in your pinion but that didn't cause any issues for me. Loctite-d that bad boi in there and its a great fit!

All is well!
    Ok, so I just did some research and it seems to me that loctite classifies by color not necessarily by letter. I am not very informed when it comes to loctite. When looking this stuff up I read a whole bunch about the different colors but nowhere did anything talk about a letter grade.

Would someone mind informing me about all of this? I love learning about this kind of stuff, I am really intrigued.

By the way I am not saying it doesn't exist or anything, I'm just wondering what the lettering would mean.

This is what I looked at: http://wdarc.org/Loctite%20Guide.pdf
    Last edited by ElectricPropils; 10-28-2020 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Added more imput
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

I'm not sure where your getting a letter designation for loctite? Most will refer to thread locker by color. With red (permanent) and blue (removable) being the most common.

The OP was talked about grub screw thread size. M3 is metric for 3mm thread size of a screw/bolt/etc.

I'm thinking the OP meant "loctited", like he was trying to say, "Screwed that bad boy back in place with some loctite." He just put the "-d" so as not to make it as confusing as "loctited".

Then again, it's all guesswork lol
    I like free stuff!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp2deSummit View Post
    I'm thinking the OP meant "loctited", like he was trying to say, "Screwed that bad boy back in place with some loctite." He just put the "-d" so as not to make it as confusing as "loctited".

Then again, it's all guesswork lol
    Ok, I understand now! That was my bad, I misunderstood that he was giving directions, not stating an experience. That's why I read it as "loctite - D", not "loctite-d". I'm sorry for the confusion.

LoL! Totally missed that. I figured it was just phone texting language. My nieces confuse me a lot with this informal texting language.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    LoL! Totally missed that. I figured it was just phone texting language. My nieces confuse me a lot with this informal texting language.
    I find it's common among kids my age (17), they abbreviate everything and refuse to capitalize words.

I often joke that I text in MLA format.