RC Competitor

is the Emaxx brushless edition capable of 8s?

ok so i picked up a nice like it looks brand new roller not long ago and i was getting a hobbywing max6 for my xmaxx so i figured why not and got one for the emaxx. it's good for 8s lipo's.

my real question is can the emaxx brushless edition handle 8s as it sits. i bought some belted tires since it didn't come with any. outside of that i haven't done anything to it aside from add electronics. i bought the whole electrical setup from another guy that came from one of these.

it's a 39086-4 emaxx
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 11-01-2020 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Language

RC Champion
    I only run ours on 4s with 5151R driveshafts and 5451R axles and rarely replace any parts minus the odd drive cup. Not sure but I think ReglarGuy and Fluxcapacitor run 6s and have great success. I couldn't imagine running 8s but if you do post a video lol.

RC Competitor
    i have 2 packs which end up as 4s which will probably what i run all the time but i am going to run the 2 4s packs i got for the xmaxx so yeah i will try and get a video. i always go full send with these things so if something isn't right it will break. took me a few runs with the xmaxx to disintegrate the spur gear. i didn't look at it when i bought it but it was the 18/46 setup for that truck.

i bought duratrax hatchet belted tires for it. if it isn't raining too much tomorrow i'll try and take it out. iirc the stock esc was rated to 6s

RC Champion
    It'll be fun to watch a full send on 8s with an Emaxx. Most of the driving is done by an 8yr old and the Xmaxx on 6s still has all the original parts with some pretty amazing cartwheels thrown in. I can't wait to see this.

RC Competitor
    i have a t-bone racing wheelie bar with skateboard wheels on the xmaxx. kinda looking for the same thing for the emaxx. i'll rip the emaxx first on 4s. but it's going to be full send anyway.

A stock brushless Emaxx is reliable with 4s. You need to modify it to run reliably on 6s. If you do the chassis mods for 6s, and run it, it's so crazy fast and powerful I can't imagine 8s. I think the problem you would have with trying to make an Emaxx 8s wouldn't be installing the 8s ESC or modifying the chassis to handle the power. It would be fitting an 8s motor to your Emaxx. The most KV you could go with would be 1600kv, and that's pretty big and heavy for the way a Emaxx is laid out.

(IMO) I'd go with a 6s setup first (along with the necessary chassis mods), and go from there. I think you'll find that 6s is crazy fast on a Emaxx, and you would have to do all the 6s chassis mods anyway before you could ever think about 8s. Then if 6s didn't float your boat, you could see if you wanted to venture into how you would install a 8s motor to your Emaxx. Like I say, the chassis mods and ESC wouldn't be a problem, but a 8s motor will be.

Emaxx with 2200kv motor.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

Quote Originally Posted by 95blackz26 View Post
    my real question is can the emaxx brushless edition handle 8s as it sits.
    No way! Not in stock form, if that is what you are asking.

My E-Maxx Brushless is set up with the Mamba Monster X and Castle 1515 1Y 2200Kv sensored motor running a pair of SMC 7200 3S batteries for 6S power. I made the mistake of trying it with the punch at the highest level possible in the ESC and all I had was a trail of pieces I had to scoop up off the ground behind the truck.

I gradually learned over the years after going through numerous sets of tires and endless setups for the axles and center drive train, that I was never going to successfully run 6S unless I dialed the punch back all the way and just overall go a lot easier on the trigger finger.

The Castle 1515 1Y motor is designated as being a pretty serious motor even for the sensored version that I have.

My E-Maxx Brushless is my prized possession as far as my fastest vehicle for off-road use; but it comes at a serious price. All the money I had dumped into my E-Maxx Brushless over the years could have equated to me owning at least three more X-Maxx's had I so desired.

Don't get me wrong, an 8S E-Maxx Brushless is something I had always thought about; yet I can't find the parts to hold it together at just 6S power with a halfway decent punch setting in the Mamba Monster X and to think you want to run 8S, just leaves me back to thinking how many times I had to pick pieces up off the ground just running 6S with an overpowered motor!

Unless you can find Grade 8 or better on the Rockwell hardness scale for parts (which would increase overall weight by at least 25%) I would try to stick to 6S scaled back on the punch settings and an easy trigger finger.

Again, not a discouragement, but with the current availability of the best reliable parts for the E-Maxx Brushless; I can only say that 8S would put a lot of parts in the grave early because most of the current parts are based on a 4S scenario and 6S is pushing it!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 10-30-2020 at 10:33 PM.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

RC Qualifier
    I ran T and E Maxx for years before moving up to th X-Maxx.

The E-MAXX is a drivers truck. It has an amazing suspension and I have never had an truck be so easy to drive hard.

Sadly itís amazing suspension and drive train is just too over engineered and designed for driving and not for bashing. As you noted, the drives train, even with steel parts is too complex and fragile to high power. The suspension works great, but again is too fragile and annoying to work on.

Bit it sure is fun to push the darned things to the limit. I am in the middle of a project to build a Bigfoot 4Pede. The big tires exposed a couple of weeks spots that are now fixed and it is work omg good.

Happy trucking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Competitor
    reading everyone's responses. looks like it will stay 4s. i have the xmaxx for 8s abuse.

it snowed the other day so there's a lot of ruts and crap from people driving actual cars so i probably wouldn't get any decent drive ability out of it. this thing seems a lot like my savage x. more fun ripping it in wide open areas. i mean yeah it will get run hard but not bashed like my xmaxx.

Don't be afraid to make your Emaxx into a 6s beast. It's easy to do, and doesn't cost much. It costs about a 150 bucks to upgrade your Emaxx with Traxxas Big Bore shocks, Traxxas CV axles, Traxxas CV drive shafts, and to change out your diff pinion gear bearings to Tamiya bushings. Pound per pound a 6s Emaxx is more powerful than a 8s Xmaxx...I have both trucks.

To give you a "for instance" one time I slammed my Emaxx's throttle down just to see what would happen, and I dug a hole so deep that this little Chinese guy came out of the hole and handed me back my Emaxx. I was like, dam dude. You can't do that with a 8S Xmaxx, a 4s Maxx, or a 3s Hoss. I think I can safely say that the 6s Emaxx is the greatest American truck ever made over seas!

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-01-2020 at 06:16 AM.

RC Competitor
    it came with big bore shocks. this thing was immaculate. it seriously looks like someone never ran it, aside from a few scrapes on the bumper.

the other thing i'd like to change is the drive shafts. always found it funny that they used plastic for driveshafts.

Quote Originally Posted by 95blackz26 View Post
    The other thing I'd like to change is the drive shafts. Always found it funny that they used plastic for driveshafts.
    I can say, that I really like my Traxxas steel CV drive shafts and axles. They have worked out very well over the years. I've never been a fan of plastic axles and drive shafts either. Changing them from plastic to steel was the very first thing I did to my Emaxx all those many moons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    To give you a "for instance" one time I slammed my Emaxx's throttle down just to see what would happen, and I dug a hole so deep that this little Chinese guy came out of the hole and handed me back my Emaxx.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something tells me that you don't believe me.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-03-2020 at 05:16 AM.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but something tells me that you don't believe me.
    With mine, using the stock drive train and having the Mamba Monster X's punch control maxed out, the only thing I was doing was scooping up pieces. Switched to the Traxxas CV's and dug a rut so deep, the postal service had to come out to assign another zip code.

RC poster
    8S doesn’t have to be any different than 4S...... twice the voltage/half the current.... same power output. Now if you are talking about 8S on a motor designed for 4S.....good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Switched to the Traxxas CV's and dug a rut so deep, the postal service had to come out to assign another zip code.
    I can believe that, because this one time I got kicked out of the Grand Canyon national park for playing with my Emaxx there. Apparently (from what I understand), all the tourist were complaining about not being able to tell the difference between where the Grand Canyon began and where I stopped playing.

It quickly became quite the controversy, because all the local politicians and environmentalists got totally bent out of shape too. At the time, I was like come on all you dudes get a life. To this day, I still can't believe all the fuss made over a little soil erosion.
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-04-2020 at 05:43 AM.

It time to trust that the standards that brought this nation into it's purpose of existence; shall once again return. What made this nation so influential was the receptivity of people to aid in fulfilling this nation's directives for embracing humanity.

And humanity simply must comply to RegularGuy's hobby of having a non-influential or negative time playing with his R C vehicles! How can this small R. C. be destructive without the purpose of it for doing so?

Have fun ReglarGuy with your U. S. A./Traxxas inspired hobby. Harmony is yet influential throughout the world; as a result of WHO's DIRECTIVES? HE has the greatest capacity to positively effect the characters and purpose of people throughout the world.
    Last edited by maximum; 11-04-2020 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maximum View Post
    It time to trust that the standards that brought this nation into it's purpose of existence; shall once again return. What made this nation so influential was the receptivity of people to aid in fulfilling this nation's directives for embracing humanity.

And humanity simply must comply to RegularGuy's hobby of having a non-influential or negative time playing with his R C vehicles! How can this small R. C. be destructive without the purpose of it for doing so?

Have fun ReglarGuy with your U. S. A./Traxxas inspired hobby. Harmony is yet influential throughout the world; as a result of WHO's DIRECTIVES? HE has the greatest capacity to positively effect the characters and purpose of people throughout the world.
    Holy cow! I'm running for president next term. I can hear it now; ReglarGuy for president, ReglarGuy for president...yeah yippy! I'll make you my campaign manager. (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-05-2020 at 04:58 AM.

Holy cow! I'm running for president next term. I can hear it now; ReglarGuy for president, ReglarGuy for president...yeah yippy! I'll make you my campaign manager. (lol)
    If I vote for you and you get elected, will you give me a free E-Maxx?
    I like free stuff!

I wish that would be possible for me to do for you...if I ever got elected. I could, though, get you a supper hot date with AOC...at the very least one of her cousins. (lol)
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-06-2020 at 06:37 AM.