RC poster

Question about 2019 27MHz receiver

Hi. New to the forum and seeking some advice.

I recently bought a vintage Rustler with XL-1 ESC and the 2019 receiver...without BEC. Does this mean that the receiver needs to be powered by a separate battery?

As it stands right now the Batt. port of the receiver is empty and the car is unresponsive to the transmitter. Transmitter, steering servo and ESC have all been confirmed to work on a different car (using 2015 receiver with BEC, which is powered via a wire tap from the main battery at the MSC).

I guess my main question is, do I need to power this receiver with 4x AA batteries?
    I recall seeing posts mentioning weight reduction as a benefit of MSC->ESC conversion but that may not be valid for this particular configuration.

Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
    Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PeterW76; 10-28-2020 at 07:56 PM.

Get a power tap that goes to your battery?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

RC poster
    I found this in the traxxas TQ transmitter manual...

Seems like it should work in the current configuration so maybe the receiver is dead. I'll try powering it from 4x AAs and see what happens.

RC poster
    Quick follow up on this, just in case it might help somebody else. Powering the receiver from 4x AA batteries got the car up and running. Not 100% convinced that this is the correct usage but it does the job.

Most likely I'll replace the 2019 receiver with a 2015 (with bec) so I can eliminate the battery pack.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterW76 View Post
    Quick follow up on this, just in case it might help somebody else. Powering the receiver from 4x AA batteries got the car up and running. Not 100% convinced that this is the correct usage but it does the job.

Most likely I'll replace the 2019 receiver with a 2015 (with bec) so I can eliminate the battery pack.
    Replacing a receiver won't give you BEC power. BEC power comes from an ESC that has a BEC or from a seperate battery pack like you are doing. I don't think the XL-1 speed controls (ESC) have a BEC.

You would need to get another ESC to have BEC power without a separate battery power supply.
    Last edited by grizzly03; 11-01-2020 at 08:49 PM.

RC poster
    The 2015 receiver has a built in bec, allowing it to be powered directly from the main 7.2v battery.

The 2015 receiver has a built in bec, allowing it to be powered directly from the main 7.2v battery.
    That's not how receivers work. You need to get power to a receiver somehow. The battery plugs into the ESC.

You would need to run power from the battery to the receiver directly.

RC poster
    I can tap the 7.2v at the esc to power the receiver. The 2015 receiver, with built in bec, is designed for that purpose.

The 2015 receiver was meant to be used with a mechanical speed control. If you look at the picture below you can see the wire that went to the receiver to power it and the servos, it plugged into the Batt port. That would be the BEC circuit.

RC poster
    Are you saying that picture shows the BEC?

Traxxas Marshal
    The 2019 receiver is the one that you want with an XL-1 ESC (which should have BEC, BTW), as that's what XL-1 equipped vehicles came with from the factory. The 2015, as mentioned, came with the MSC vehicles. My guess is that your 2019 ESC is toast and in need of replacement.

That picture shows how the MSC powered the receiver and servos via the connector. The MSC would plug into the batt slot and the steering and throttle servos would get plugged into channels 1 and 2. With an MSC, the receiver needed to do the power handling (why the receiver has BEC). With an ESC, the ESC has BEC built in to do that job.

Honestly, I'd upgrade the electronics. The XL-1 wasn't a great ESC, and was terribly dated compared to other options of the time. Something like a Novak Rooster or LRP F1 Reverse would be great and period specific, if that's your thing. If you don't mind something more modern, grab an XL-5.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-03-2020 at 03:56 AM.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC poster
    Thanks for the input. You're right, the BEC portion of my XL-1 ESC is dead, resulting in no power to the receiver. I dismantled it and probed with a multimeter to confirm it's not just a bad switch. When switch is on the lower portion of the circuit receives the 7.2v but I do not get 6v on the red wire that should power the receiver.

Obviously the correct solution would be to replace the ESC. My original point, before knowing for sure that the XL-1 should have BEC, was that I could just swap the receiver for a 2015 (with BEC) because it would achieve the desired result with some minor hacking.

The car runs fine with the receiver powered with 4 AAs. I'll keep an eye on eBay for a bargain 2015, XL-1 or XL-5.

Regarding the XL-5, can it be easily mounted in the vintage rustler chassis?

Thanks,
    Peter

RC Qualifier
    [Typewriter noises] . . . Somewhere in the Eastwest . . .
    Obviously the correct solution would be to replace the ESC. My original point, before knowing for sure that the XL-1 should have BEC, was that I could just swap the receiver for a 2015 (with BEC) because it would achieve the desired result with some minor hacking.

The car runs fine with the receiver powered with 4 AAs. I'll keep an eye on eBay for a bargain 2015, XL-1 or XL-5.

Regarding the XL-5, can it be easily mounted in the vintage rustler chassis?

Thanks,
    Peter
    Okay, to start this off, I would definitely recommend that you keep this period appropriate, especially since you seem to be using nickel batteries. The vintage stuff is cool! (I want a N4T one day.)

If you want to, you can run a wire tap from the battery to a receiver with BEC and have normal operation, without much work. If you can solder a new connector to your ESC, Traxxas parts 6543 or 6541 would work with a BEC-equipped reciever, and eliminate the need to cut wires. Do not use your current receiver with this, because battery voltage will fry it, and likely your servos as well.

If you can get hold of an XL-10 ESC, that would be a big upgrade that is period-appropriate as well. I would love to see someone use one of these.

If you decide to get either an XL-5 or the XL-10 ESC, you would need to get the Traxxas 3625 mounting plate, which will mount directly into your chassis.
    LONG LIVE THE PROFESSOR! Rest in peace, Mr. Peart.

RC poster
    Thank you, I appreciate that input.

I actually have 2 vintage Rustlers right now. One with the MSC and BEC receiver and one with the XL-1 ESC and non BEC receiver.

Preference is to keep both cars as original as possible hence the desire to eliminate the 4x AAs that are currently compensating for the failed BEC on the XL-1. I'll add the XL-10 to my eBay wish list.

RC Qualifier
    [Typewriter noises] . . . Somewhere in the Eastwest . . .
    Oh! I'm sorry I forgot it in my original post!
    WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

You could potentially use a 5 cell Nickel pack as a receiver pack, which was something done before BECs came around. It is still done on nitro models, so you can easily find the packs. I believe Traxxas makes something for the Revo or T-Maxx that holds the receiver pack if you want to go that route. The (new, there was an older non-waterproof and a slightly less old version without LVD) XL-5 can be found quite easily from "chop shops".

You have two?! Awesome! Keeping them vintage and original is an awesome choice, as long as you still drive them. You might want to pick up a beater body or two (JConcepts.net has a few vintage-style shells) to keep the original body looking good. If the older style bodies weren't so rare I would get one for my (modern) Rustler. Getting period-correct upgrades is also cool, though, which creates a bit of a dilemma.

Just had a thought. What servo are you using? If it is either a fairly new one that can draw a lot of current or an older one that may be on its way out the servo could have killed your BEC. That doesn't mean that is the reason, as an XL-1 is fairly old and it may just be the ESC's time. Have you tried to fix the circuit by soldering? In my 1:1, the clock circuit goes out (this is caused by it heating up in the sun) and the solution is to add a bit of solder to the board. I wouldn't try this until you have a back-up ESC in case you accidentally brick it.
    Last edited by Is_It_Broken?; 11-03-2020 at 06:25 PM. Reason: Readable color
    LONG LIVE THE PROFESSOR! Rest in peace, Mr. Peart.

RC poster
    Thank you!

Both cars are running the original 2018 servos. When I got the one with ESC the steering servo was locked up. I wonder if that's what blew the BEC circuit. I studied the circuit board for damage but don't see anything obvious. If I can pick up a 2015 receiver for around $15 and resell the 2019 for similar that would be the lowest cost fix even if it's not the "correct" fix!

On the body shells, my son managed to break the front corner off one them so I ended up repairing and lining the whole thing with mesh tape and shoe-goo. It makes a huge difference to the durability but haven't decided whether to do the same to the second one.

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by Is_It_Broken? View Post
    If you can get hold of an XL-10 ESC, that would be a big upgrade that is period-appropriate as well. I would love to see someone use one of these.
    With Rustlers of this vintage, XL-5s and 10s really aren't period specific. The XL-10 maybe for a really Rustler just before the XL-5 Rustlers came out, but unlikely for these trucks. Since the XL-1 was the only Traxxas branded ESC of that time, I recommended other non-Traxxas brands that would be specific to when this car was bought. I'm sure either of those options can be had on the cheap.

That said, the XL-5/10s would be easy upgrade choices, and they're definitely good ESCs. Just not period specific for these old Rustlers in my opinion.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 11-12-2020 at 03:22 AM.

RC poster
    Thanks for the input guys. I ended up replacing the 2019 receiver with the 2015 and powering it with 7.2V tapped from the XL-1 ESC. Problem solved.

Here are my 2 trucks. #1 running MSC and #2 running XL-1 ESC.

Traxxas Marshal
    That factory painted body brings me back. My brother bought a Rustler back in the day and it had the same body. Glad you're back in business!