RC poster

Rustler Drag Car Build

Iím new to RC and have jumped in with both feet. I am building a Rustler based drag car. I have what is supposed to be the correct kit, but when I was moving the electronics to the new frame, the receiver box doesnít seem to match up with the screw hole placement on the frame. A friend is doing the same conversation using a Slash. My question is, do the Rustler and Slash use different receivers? I have a brushed motor currently.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostryder63 View Post
    Iím new to RC and have jumped in with both feet. I am building a Rustler based drag car. I have what is supposed to be the correct kit, but when I was moving the electronics to the new frame, the receiver box doesnít seem to match up with the screw hole placement on the frame. A friend is doing the same conversation using a Slash. My question is, do the Rustler and Slash use different receivers? I have a brushed motor currently.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Sadly they do, the the Slash's receiver box has a tab that comes off of it which allows for cables to be routed out of the waterproof box, whereas the Rustler's receiver box has the cables routed out of the top as you can see below.

Slash

Rustler
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC poster
    Thanks for the information.

If you are going to use the same a-arms, you may need to cut or sand the arms and bulkhead to make them fit properly. (The Rustler has the same arms as the Bandit):

Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    This may turn into a newbee how to thread, including the issues I had and what I did to solve them. The Rustler arms are too long to fit in the body I want to use. I went with the shortest arms I could find and had to install shorter axles as well. This narrowed the rear from 13.5 inches to 11.25 inches measured from the outside of the tires. I will post before and after pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    If you are going to use the same a-arms, you may need to cut or sand the arms and bulkhead to make them fit properly. (The Rustler has the same arms as the Bandit)
    Are your version about that? Isn't the Rustler is just a shorter wheelbase version of the Slash? I don't know anything about the 2WD Rustler, but I do know that the Rustler 4x4 uses the same arms as the Slash 4x4. I'm also pretty certain that the Slash 4x4 & 2WD Slash use the same rear arms. As such, it would sense that the 2WD Rustler & 2WD Slash use the same rear arms. Thus, the 2WD Rustler & Bandit couldn't use the same arms.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    ~ Love, laughter & kindness makes the world better

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    Are your version about that? Isn't the Rustler is just a shorter wheelbase version of the Slash? I don't know anything about the 2WD Rustler, but I do know that the Rustler 4x4 uses the same arms as the Slash 4x4. I'm also pretty certain that the Slash 4x4 & 2WD Slash use the same rear arms. As such, it would sense that the 2WD Rustler & 2WD Slash use the same rear arms. Thus, the 2WD Rustler & Bandit couldn't use the same arms.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
    You might want to sit down for this one. 2wd drive cars have a lot of interchangeable parts but at the same time the rear arm set up is all over the map.

2wd Bandit, rustler, and slash use their own unique rear arms. 2wd stampede and rustler use same rear arms but 2wd slash and bandit all have their own set up. You are right however about rustler and bandit use different rear arms.
    Last edited by TwoBelugas; 11-24-2020 at 01:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBelugas View Post
    You might want to sit down for this one. 2wd drive cars have a lot of interchangeable parts but at the same time the rear arm set up is all over the map.

2wd Bandit, rustler, and slash use their own unique rear arms. 2wd stampede and rustler use same rear arms but 2wd slash and bandit all have their own set up. You are right however about rustler and bandit use different rear arms.
    Thanks did the "play by play" comparison. It does provide some 'interesting' info. I guess Traxxas loves to make things simple, and also complicated, at the same time...lol. It figures. Personally, I decided to go the easiest route on this one, starting with a Bandit roller, and swapping in the Slash LCG chassis. I figured, it's a lot cheaper, and a LOT easier, than starting with a Slash LCG roller, and then having to deal in the Bandit arms, turnbuckles, rear axle a, etc.

The only thing I didn't care for was the blue chassis, which some black RIT dye really resolved. My biggest challenges (so far) have been deciding what body to go with (finally decided), what turn motor to get (I'm almost decided on turn, but still need to decide brand), and what tooth pinion(s) to get (to pair with a 56T spur).

Quote Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
    The only thing I didn't care for was the blue chassis, which some black RIT dye really resolved.
    You know you can get a black chassis, right?
    Who needs coffee when you have a 10KV+ capacitor?

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSpider25 View Post
    You know you can get a black chassis, right?
    As well as a gray one. Unfortunately, only blue was in stock. So...instead of waiting for the black, I just decided to buy the blue, and make it black. It's not there first time I've dyed a Traxxas chassis. Both of my Rustler 4x4 chassis (originally gray) have been dyed black. There was just enough remaining in the bottle for one more chassis (ie. each bottle of RIT liquid dye is good for 3-4 chassis).