RC poster

Best Replacement motor for my Rustler

I bought a Velineon VXL 3S system and got it all set up. I used it for about 20 minutes to test it out. Tested it in a parking lot. Just took it for a spin, no bumps, roll overs, or anything. Just a test run to see the improvement over the XL 5 brushed motor it came with. It worked great.
    Fast forward a few weeks and my friend and I are heading out to a track and when we get there and the ESC is not working on my new VXL set up. It turns on the fan and steering servo but that is it. The indicator light does not come on. No green light, no red light. I am using a 4 cell lipo and everything else is good. I tried everything you can think of to get it fixed. I trouble shot then entire car looking for a cause. Finally my friend let me take his ESC and put it in my car and it works perfect. When I reinstall my ESC it doesn't work. I reached out to Traxxas support and since I bought the motor on September 21st it is 30 day old and past warranty.
    So to my question. I want to replace the motor and ESC in my Rustler but I do not want to go with Traxxas Velineon and risk it going bad on me again. I know I could just by another ESC for about $80.00 but I don't want to risk having the same issue again.
    Does anyone have any recommendations as to a good brushless motor and ESC to put in my Rustler other then the VXL 3S that is equal to the same power?

RC Qualifier
    This is basically the same thing I stated on another post but here you go.

"If you are looking to replace the stock VXL system then there are a few options but none of them come stock with a Traxxas connector.

Hobbywing is a company that sells high quality brushless systems that should drop right into your Slash. The ESC motor combo I linked below will work well in your car and is cheaper than the Traxxas VXL system.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/coll...nt=27757683857

Castle Creations is another company that produces really high performance brushless systems, they are a personal favorite of mine. The brushless system that I linked below is a little bit more expensive than it's Hobbywing counterpart but I assure you that the performance difference is worth it.

https://www.castlecreations.com/en/s...or-010-0164-06

As for batteries, Amazon is a man's best friend. Just look for a 2-3s LIPO with a lot of good reviews, and depending on what brushless system you get you will want that battery to have a matching connector.

I hope this helps!"
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC poster
    Great help! Right on and thank you very much!!

RC poster
    Will the Castle ESC work with the Traxxas motor? Or are there any other ESC's that are compatible with the Traxxas VXL motor? I would prefer not to have to buy a whole new set up if possible.

Yes, it will with the right connectors. As long as the kv and specs are correct, any ESC and motor work.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Yes, it will with the right connectors. As long as the kv and specs are correct, any ESC and motor work.
    Thank you!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Why would you run 4S on a 3S max esc. I run a Mamba MonsterX. Read the documentation prior to buy and installing this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You say you connected a 4s lipo to it. 3s is max for that esc. So may be why it didn't work. Or may of fried the esc.....

Any esc will work with the motor as long as esc will do the battery you want to use and has athe amp rating for the motor you want to use.

A hobby wing or a castle.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Why would you run 4S on a 3S max esc. I run a Mamba MonsterX. Read the documentation prior to buy and installing this time.

Yes! That's probably the reason the VXL-3s ESC isn't working. Didn't realize it earlier. I think the motor is also 3s max, so you may need to get another combo if you are planning to run it on 4s.
    Everyday's a gift, thus now is called the present.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by RCWilly View Post
    Yes! That's probably the reason the VXL-3s ESC isn't working. Didn't realize it earlier. I think the motor is also 3s max, so you may need to get another combo if you are planning to run it on 4s.
    Sorry guys I made a typo. I have a 2 cell lipo not 4.

I'd like to find a non-Traxxas ESC to match up with the motor. If anyone knows of any that are an easy fit that would be great. Looking at Hobbywing and Castle right now, still researching
    Last edited by RPWJR; 10-29-2020 at 06:05 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by RPWJR View Post
    Sorry guys I made a typo. I have a 2 cell lipo not 4.

I'd like to find a non-Traxxas ESC to match up with the motor. If anyone knows of any that are an easy fit that would be great. Looking at Hobbywing and Castle right now, still researching
    Hobbywing for a basher. Castle for more tuning options.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Hobbywing for a basher. Castle for more tuning options.

Thank you