Fan Protection Ideas

Hope Everyone's doing well !

Been looking at Fans for my motor and researching a lot of ideas, but I have some questions.

I have been destroying plastic and aluminum casing fans the rear fan takes the hardest beating though. Also when the fans have gotten destroyed they were on 10mm spacers from Yeah Racing.

I have done some research and looked back at some of my previous posts on fan questions. I see that placing fans at a angle is a common thing. All along this time I was placing my fans on the 10mm spacer and straight up fan looking towards the sky. I have figured because of crashes and stuff it was probably pretty hard on the fans causing them to break. So another thing I will be trying is placing my fans sideways as shown in picture 1.

Should this alleviate stress on the fans and the assembly overall and another thing is putting a mesh on the aluminum fan assembly as @olds97_lss does on his cars, and a fan guard reinforce the fan assembly to have a much lower chance of breaking or bending?
    Fan Guard
    https://www.amainhobbies.com/psm-2mm...m01487/p390197

Another thing is unbreakable bodys. Would those aid in impacts by making the impact much less, assuming the body is taking most of the impact protecting electronics including fans and such?

Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Having the fans more on a angle may help.

Biggest thing is don't crash lol....

I've yet to put my yeah heatsink and fans on the car so yet to have a issue or find solutions....

A different body will still hit the chassis at same spots... They just won't break after repeated abuse. Unlike the stock lexan body's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Here is how mine are. Haven't had one break yet. One fan is on spacers and the other is not. I would use 4 screws in each fan to hold the fan from flexing, not 2 screws like they show in the instructions.

note: You should be able to click on picture to make it bigger

What's hitting your fans? I have yet to break one of the 30mm alloy framed hobbystar fans. I run them on my outcast/erbev2 motor on a powerhobby heat sink and savage flux hp motor with a fan mount I made out of a piece of alloy 90 stock. I also have one bolted to my MMX in the savage and fitted them to my max6's in both the outcast and erbev2.

I air my trucks out a lot. I crash a lot.

I do have mine at a bit of an angle I guess:

One thing I do have that most probably don't is a roll bar I made. That was more to protect the old lexay body from crumpling in the middle when I land on the roof than anything else. The fans themselves almost touch the probodyrc body I have now.

If I was smart, I'd cut some of that plastic out of the body where it dips down there and open a hole above the motor/fans. Partly for clearance and partly for air flow.
    https://www.youtube.com/c/olds97lss

Quote Originally Posted by Acidic01 View Post
    Having the fans more on a angle may help.

Biggest thing is don't crash lol....

I've yet to put my yeah heatsink and fans on the car so yet to have a issue or find solutions....

A different body will still hit the chassis at same spots... They just won't break after repeated abuse. Unlike the stock lexan body's.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the thought. I crash a lot probably a big part of the reason lol.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzly03 View Post
    Here is how mine are. Haven't had one break yet. One fan is on spacers and the other is not. I would use 4 screws in each fan to hold the fan from flexing, not 2 screws like they show in the instructions.

note: You should be able to click on picture to make it bigger
    Thanks for the example. Going to have to do that. I thought of it but quite never thought of how much flexing everything is doing when crashing, including the fan being on Spacers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico116 View Post
    Thanks for the example. Going to have to do that. I thought of it but quite never thought of how much flexing everything is doing when crashing, including the fan being on Spacers.

When you raise the fans so the motor isn't supported, the fan motor flexes up/down as well which will snap the legs that hold the motor in place, or at the very least, if you have screen, allow the fan blades to move up into it and break them. People that run the hobbywing esc's have run into that a lot, me included. Their esc has the 4 corners of the fan raised so the center of the fan floats. After replacing the fan in my max6's more than once, I stopped using plastic framed fans and just live with using a 30mm alloy fan instead of the 35mm fan it needs. I haven't been able to find a 35mm alloy framed fan yet. Only 30mm and 40mm.

I raise my fans on my motor coolers to help promote air flow. I have 2mm or 3mm spacers under each corner.

Quote Originally Posted by olds97_lss View Post
    What's hitting your fans? I have yet to break one of the 30mm alloy framed hobbystar fans. I run them on my outcast/erbev2 motor on a powerhobby heat sink and savage flux hp motor with a fan mount I made out of a piece of alloy 90 stock. I also have one bolted to my MMX in the savage and fitted them to my max6's in both the outcast and erbev2.

I air my trucks out a lot. I crash a lot.

I do have mine at a bit of an angle I guess:

One thing I do have that most probably don't is a roll bar I made. That was more to protect the old lexay body from crumpling in the middle when I land on the roof than anything else. The fans themselves almost touch the probodyrc body I have now.

If I was smart, I'd cut some of that plastic out of the body where it dips down there and open a hole above the motor/fans. Partly for clearance and partly for air flow.
    Thanks for the advice. As for my fans first fan I destroyed was in a park. Alot of cartwheels and rollovers destroyed my rear plastic fan. No crashes into solid objects. Fan was on 2 spacers pointed straight up Decided it was time for a aluminum upgrade. Saved my other plastic fan as backup. Went to buy 2 aluminum fans from yeah racing both gave me issues they would run and then stutter off. sometimes had to turn car off then on to get it running, and sometimes had to hit it with your finger a few times yo get it going. figured it was a defective item . Maybe because I didn't follow the break in time for 2 to 3 hours never paid attention to that. Which might've helped. Got a free replacement, can't remember if I had running issues after that. Fans started to bend after that at about a 10 degree angle they were both on spacers pointing up. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago went to a park few cartwheels. don't think I landed upside down that day ballooning was out of control really gotta wrap my tires I been lazy about that, also cartwheeled for about 50 feet no issues yet. 5 minutes later hit a tree at a angle body got pushed speed control side. motor side of the body developed a crack on the rear fender of of the body. Next day I was cleaning my revo testing electronics smoke came out but the fan casing was pressed in not allowing blades to spin freely probably overheated or caused a short. Second fan accidentally plugged it in wrong. Smoked up end of fan now I'm stuck with a plastic backup fan and a plastic fan where the casing is broke but they still work.

Things I'm gonna try. Vent some body holes. And gear down to 54/14. And secure my fans with 4 screws instead of 2 spacers, and run them at a angle.

Basically long story short I been discouraged with my motor running hot and tires becoming unglued. Its part of the hobby. Well positive side is I'm a bit more aware and realize things are gonna break, and I'm actually starting to enjoy working on my car. I have just slowed down getting expensive no big deal just save up some extra money. Basically since June to now I have spent like almost 1000 dollars on tools and parts and a charger and batteries. Also appreciate my money alot more seeing where its going. but seeing what hard work could get you. After all ain't money made to be spent you work hard enjoy it. Sorry for the vent/honesty note. needed to get it off my chest

I never tried yeah racing's fans. I've only used the hobbystar fans I get at rcjuice.com.

I wrap all my 6S truck tires with 400-500lb kevlar cored cord. Keeps them from ballooning and popping off the rims. Even in a zigzag pattern on my arrma backflips, they balloon very little at WOT in the air. You can see the two lines of cord on my Talon EXT's in the photo's I posted above.

Yes I think I may be done with YR fans looking at other options now. Going to have to get ahold of some Kevlar to wrap tires.