RC Enthusiast

2nd dead Titan motor after under 1 hr of use! please help :(

Hey folks,

Reminder, I dont really have a clue what im doing..

so I got my car out and ran it for an hour or so and the engine failed! - https://forums.traxxas.com/showthrea...49#post6559449

images and video in that thread.

I replaced it with the same motor brand new.. after approx one hour of use across three or four occasions (light driving on short grass and tarmac) That motor is now also DEAD!

What could be causing this?

no other obvious issues or signs of a problem other than motor doesnt work anymore, neither occasion was there any problems when using it just when turning it back on its dead.

Traxxas Marshal
    Did you break the motor in properly? What gearing are you using? Was the gear mesh good? How were the motor temps?
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    Did you break the motor in properly? What gearing are you using? Was the gear mesh good? How were the motor temps?
    I followed online guides to running it in and didnt really put much strain through it.
    Gear mesh seemed fine, it was hot but I could touch it fine(not for long admittedly) but it does seem to be a heat issue.. but nothing should really have made it that hot.
    I contacted Modelsport and they are going to return it to traxxas.

We will see. thanks though im just wondering if I get a new one what I should do as two motors failing seems unlikely its actually the motor right?

RC Enthusiast
    Hiya

These cars do get the motor quite hot, so would suggest letting car cool down after 10 mins running.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard@JP View Post
    Hiya

These cars do get the motor quite hot, so would suggest letting car cool down after 10 mins running.
    Thanks, it actually now appears i messed up! im so confused!

I took the motor out and just connected to a battery and now it works? it didnt seem to at first but then I moved a wire and it does.

I connected it back to just the esc and it again didnt run at all!!

so I tried to problem solve and changing the controller from 50/50 to 70/30 and now it works as expected?

Now I had been having a couple controller issues with getting it to send a reverse command...

could it be a controller issue? anyone recognise the symptoms?(I dont have another one to test with)

I double checked the oldest motor too(still dead!)

I would leave the controller on 50/50 and recalibrate the ESC. If you switch to 70/30 you need to recalibrate for that setting. I'm thinking somewhere the calibrations have gotten messed up.

RC Enthusiast
    Oh interesting, I had been trying to get it in learning mode so have been messing with the ESC.

But it worked for three runs and then didnt work... no alterations between it working and not.

And I still havent changed anything other than physically moving the ratio switch on the transmitter.

Could the Motor have gotten hot and seized up and now freed itself after direct connection to battery? It sound fine when it runs.

Anything is possible. Put a couple of drops of oil on the motor bushings to help lubricate them.

If you have been messing with the power button on the ESC you could have accidentally put it into calibration mode and changed them without knowing.

Factory default is the 50/50 setting.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks Will have a play is there a factory default reset for the ESC? I couldnt see that in the guide.

Nope. The Re-calibration would be the reset.

Here is a video on how to reset your ESC if you need help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ix-J85uRFjE
    The present is theirs; the future, is mine.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks both

Let us know how you make out.

FWIW If your running the 380 brushed motor you might want to lower your gearing for your driving style or possibly think about upgrading. Those little motors are not the greatest for these 1/16 vehicles.