Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Racer

Heart transplant

Hi all.

So been using my X-Maxx now for some time now and after a lot of consideration, I have decided to go for a new motor. In particular, the Leopard Hobby 58113 780kv motor.

I have seen reviews and testing with this and looks to be an absolute powerhouse of a motor!

I have already upgraded to the hobby wing Max 5 ESC and has been a welcome upgrade. The way the truck is controllable is just so much better than the stock esc. Lots more power and more controllable in mid air during jumps.

As I’m in the UK, I have had to buy from the states but should be with me by December

My shopping list/on order for this so far is:-

- wfo motor mount
    - wfo 25/35 mod1 D gears
    - wfo receiver box and mounting plate
    - Leopard Hobby 58113 v2 780kv motor
    - gpm alloy diff cups x2
    - hardened steel spider gears
    - diff pins for alloy cups
    - Louise CYCLONE tyres

The Louise CYCLONE tyres I already have from euro rc and have been the best upgrade so far. Loads more grip and no more ballooning tyres!

Should be good to get me running but still need to get some good diff rings/top gear for the new diff builds.

Can anyone recommend any strong diff gears and shaft gears for the X-Maxx to replace the standard ones?

I have some time as the delivery date is looking to be start of December but just want to make sure my drive train is uprated to take the new engine

I know more weight means heavier landings and more stress on the truck but that’s the risk I am willing to take. I have already got up-rated arms front and back and updated shocks on the rear so should help with the power upgrade.

Thanks guys,

Hal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Per Traxxas, please refrain from mentioning the body from overseas. They request this due to a violation of a copyrighted product.
    Last edited by Double G; 11-01-2020 at 08:31 AM.
    To the Moon 🌙

Quote Originally Posted by hallamnet View Post
    Hi all.

So been using my X-Maxx now for some time now and after a lot of consideration, I have decided to go for a new motor. In particular, the Leopard Hobby 58113 780kv motor.

I really like your list and what you are planning to do with the truck!

Sorry I don't have any recommendations as far as your questions about differential gears and shaft gears but would like to follow your build as it progresses.

I am however intrigued by your decision by going with the 780Kv motor. I'm pretty sure that motor is offered in the 870Kv and 1050Kv options and as high/low as the 530Kv option for the 58113 cans which would be insane torque to comprehend.

I know your gearing will have a lot to do with your motor Kv choice and was curious as to how you made your final call on the 780Kv motor? Come to think of it, I've never seen the 780Kv option before in the 58113 can size, I've only seen it in 870Kv, 1050Kv and 530Kv options.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

RC Racer
    @Flux Capacitor thanks for the reply.

My bad, should be 870kv. This is what I have bought. It was late last night typing out my message

I am not too fussed about top end speed but just want a Power-house of a truck.

I did see the other options and did almost go for the 1050kv version but decided to make a wheelie king instead.

Link to motor:-

http://www.leopardhobby.com/index.ph...s/detail/id/20

I will do a write up with photos like some of my other posts and will try and create a walk-through/step by step on the build.

Almost nothing is standard on the truck now including the radio gear.

So far, these are the upgrades:-

- Louise cyclone tyres
    - Hobby Wing MAX5 esc
    - Traxxas TRX2085X servo
    - Futaba T7PXR transmitter
    - Futaba R334SBS receiver
    - Futaba SBS-01TE temp sensor
    - Futaba P-SBS/01V voltage monitor
    - Proline PL6339-00 top and bottom rear arms
    - Proline PL6293-00 shock caps
    - Proline PL6340-02 rear carriers
    - Proline RPM70510 Hinge pins
    - Proline RPM80312 roof skids
    - RPM RPM82354 top and bottom arms green
    - 140C Hardcase LiPo
    - Rhino 6200mAh 4S 50C Lipo Battery

I also have a HobbyWing WiFi Express on order (has been for over a month now) and still no update.

Planning on getting these as well:-

- Futaba GYC441 Gyro
    - Futaba SBS-02G GPS

With the transmitter, you have the option of ABS and is selectable at the push of a button that I do use quite a bit. Also it is good for having telemetry read to you and a good dashboard view I. The controller rather than a phone in a mount.

What I get all of my deliveries, I will post an update

Last edited by Double G; 11-01-2020 at 08:31 AM. Reason: banned product name
    To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    The 2085x is crap, it’s a loud poorly made servo! Get the promodeler, your list doesn’t appear to include a budget so. Put in a good servo.
    https://www.promodeler.com/PDRS209-930
    And the traxxas servo mount. I installed this servo. It’s bulletproof!

RC Racer
    The hobbywing is old technology compared to the castle stuff. I can suggest the castle mm8x. I run mine in a xmaxx with a 800kv 2028.
    Check out the xmaxx store Iíve bought from the place you linked with very poor results.

Xmaxx store was great!
    Last edited by Clubin; 11-01-2020 at 06:59 AM.

RC Racer
    @Clubin The servo looks mental!

The server is something that i do plan to upgrade as I am on my 2nd 2085x. The first one I bought packed up within 6 days of owning it and now on a warranty replacement.

I have got a Savox SW1210SG as a spare just in case but want to keep this for the model it's in. I do have the traxxas servo adaptor plate already in case this one goes again.

That ESC does look good. If this on die's on me i might give it a go! With wfo, I am just going on recommendations but will have a look at the xmaxx store. Can you advise where it? I have had a google and a few pop up but jus wanna get the right site.

Thanks again,

Hal

Quote Originally Posted by Clubin View Post
    The hobbywing is old technology compared to the castle stuff. I can suggest the castle mm8x. I run mine in a xmaxx with a 800kv 2028.
    Hey Clubin, I always liked the Castle ESC's myself; but how come the Hobbywing Max Series is considered old technology now? They still have firmware updates regularly and I thought outdated ESC's were ones that no longer have firmware support?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    Hey Clubin, I always liked the Castle ESC's myself; but how come the Hobbywing Max Series is considered old technology now? They still have firmware updates regularly and I thought outdated ESC's were ones that no longer have firmware support?
    You would agree if you would see what a castle esc can do.
    Castle contains way more technology. I’m still a fan of the hobbywing stuff. I have them in many of my other models. Never had a failure.
    Maybe old technology isn’t the rite way to say it. Hobbywing is less advanced.

RC Champion
    Hi all.

I have seen reviews and testing with this and looks to be an absolute powerhouse of a motor!

I have already upgraded to the hobby wing Max 5 ESC and has been a welcome upgrade. The way the truck is controllable is just so much better than the stock esc. Lots more power and more controllable in mid air during jumps.

As I’m in the UK, I have had to buy from the states but should be with me by December

My shopping list/on order for this so far is:-

- wfo motor mount
    - wfo 25/35 mod1 D gears
    - wfo receiver box and mounting plate
    - Leopard Hobby 58113 v2 780kv motor
    - gpm alloy diff cups x2
    - hardened steel spider gears
    - diff pins for alloy cups
    - Louise CYCLONE tyres

The Louise CYCLONE tyres I already have from euro rc and have been the best upgrade so far. Loads more grip and no more ballooning tyres!

Should be good to get me running but still need to get some good diff rings/top gear for the new diff builds.

Can anyone recommend any strong diff gears and shaft gears for the X-Maxx to replace the standard ones?

I have some time as the delivery date is looking to be start of December but just want to make sure my drive train is uprated to take the new engine

I know more weight means heavier landings and more stress on the truck but that’s the risk I am willing to take. I have already got up-rated arms front and back and updated shocks on the rear so should help with the power upgrade.

Thanks guys,

Hal

Per Traxxas, please refrain from mentioning the body from overseas. They request this due to a violation of a copyrighted product.
    @Flux Capacitor thanks for the reply.

My bad, should be 870kv. This is what I have bought. It was late last night typing out my message

I am not too fussed about top end speed but just want a Power-house of a truck.

I did see the other options and did almost go for the 1050kv version but decided to make a wheelie king instead.

Link to motor:-

http://www.leopardhobby.com/index.ph...s/detail/id/20

I will do a write up with photos like some of my other posts and will try and create a walk-through/step by step on the build.

Almost nothing is standard on the truck now including the radio gear.

So far, these are the upgrades:-

- Louise cyclone tyres
    - Hobby Wing MAX5 esc
    - Traxxas TRX2085X servo
    - Futaba T7PXR transmitter
    - Futaba R334SBS receiver
    - Futaba SBS-01TE temp sensor
    - Futaba P-SBS/01V voltage monitor
    - Proline PL6339-00 top and bottom rear arms
    - Proline PL6293-00 shock caps
    - Proline PL6340-02 rear carriers
    - Proline RPM70510 Hinge pins
    - Proline RPM80312 roof skids
    - RPM RPM82354 top and bottom arms green
    - 140C Hardcase LiPo
    - Rhino 6200mAh 4S 50C Lipo Battery

I also have a HobbyWing WiFi Express on order (has been for over a month now) and still no update.

Planning on getting these as well:-

- Futaba GYC441 Gyro
    - Futaba SBS-02G GPS

With the transmitter, you have the option of ABS and is selectable at the push of a button that I do use quite a bit. Also it is good for having telemetry read to you and a good dashboard view I. The controller rather than a phone in a mount.

What I get all of my deliveries, I will post an update

Outstanding stuff, mate.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Clubin View Post
    The 2085x is crap, it’s a loud poorly made servo! Get the promodeler, your list doesn’t appear to include a budget so. Put in a good servo.
    https://www.promodeler.com/PDRS209-930
    And the traxxas servo mount. I installed this servo. It’s bulletproof!
    The PROMODELER is the absolute best.

9095274-Heart-transplant-emoji172
    I was wondering what would happen if I wrote emoji172 or 9095274-Heart-transplant-emoji172. Would I get your green heart...nope. How did you do that?
    Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-03-2020 at 04:46 AM.
    Life's to short to be a sour puss.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    I was wondering what would happen if I wrote emoji172 or 9095274-Heart-transplant-emoji172. Would I get your green heart...nope. How did you do that?
    I used my iPhone built in emoji's when typing out the message.

Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    This is what you type directly in the reply field to get it:

Copy and paste that exact syntax above into your reply without using the "Insert Image" icon and you get....TADA!

The Green Heart!

Or just copy:

And then paste into:

To make it work another way.

Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 11-03-2020 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Updated.

Thanks, I'll have to give that a try.

RC Racer
    Hi all.

Had a message to say the motor mount, gears and other hardware will be with me tomorrow.

Looks like the motor will be with me early next week.

Looking forward to this project but thinking I might be cutting my runtimes down due to the new motor and might have to get some more lipoís.

Might have to get another set of rapid hard case 5500ís or some rhino 6500ís. Can anyone recommend any batteries available to the UK?

To the Moon 🌙

RC Champion
    Hi all.

Had a message to say the motor mount, gears and other hardware will be with me tomorrow.

Looks like the motor will be with me early next week.

Looking forward to this project but thinking I might be cutting my runtimes down due to the new motor and might have to get some more lipo’s.

Might have to get another set of rapid hard case 5500’s or some rhino 6500’s. Can anyone recommend any batteries available to the UK?

If you're in UK, ModelsportUK is a very good shop, I did buy to them many times and all perfect.

RC Racer

Smile First Care Package arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    If you're in UK, ModelsportUK is a very good shop, I did buy to them many times and all perfect.
    I have seen model sport before. They do seem to be a good online store with some good reviews and products.

But today, finally my first Care package arrive for the new build with my WFO gears, receiver box, antenna tube, mounting plate and switch mount.

All I need now is for the motor to turn up and hopefully the Russian indestructible body.

But here's what I got today....

More updates to follow when I receive my Leopard Hobby 58113 motor 870kv motor.

Happy Bashing All!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have seen model sport before. They do seem to be a good online store with some good reviews and products.

But today, finally my first Care package arrive for the new build with my WFO gears, receiver box, antenna tube, mounting plate and switch mount.

All I need now is for the motor to turn up and hopefully the Russian indestructible body.

Happy Bashing All!
    It may or may not be worth it to you, but modifying the chassis to mount your esc in the chassis, not on the rails, is a great idea.
    Hereís mine for example.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    It may or may not be worth it to you, but modifying the chassis to mount your esc in the chassis, not on the rails, is a great idea.
    Hereís mine for example.

Looks tidy! Good job!

That's my plan.

The new receiver box mounts down low and the plate goes on top of that with the esc over that. Still will be down low but not as low as it currently is.

How you have yours is similar to how I have mine at the moment. I will try and get a photo of it. It won't be pretty as a few of us went to a local BMW track that had just been resurfaced and got covered in crud! Also, the field that it is in the middle of had just been cut and grass everywhere! Going to need a good re build and re bearing soon!

RC Racer
    Hereís a quick one. Will post another angle shortly. Tapatalk only lets me do one photo per post

To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    Hereís the other....

To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    This video explains the mounting process....

https://youtu.be/HKIugzNw_sw

To the Moon 🌙

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Cool video. Donít love having the RX under the esc, but much better than rail mounting. Iíve taken time and pride making my own CF parts from CF stock. Battery strap plates, esc plate, and motor fan plate. Love the engineering side of overbuilding stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Cool video. Don’t love having the RX under the esc, but much better than rail mounting. I’ve taken time and pride making my own CF parts from CF stock. Battery strap plates, esc plate, and motor fan plate. Love the engineering side of overbuilding stuff.

I did this with mine:

I cut holes through the ESC plate I made so the skeleton brace posts fit through it and I didn't have to cut or relocate anything except for the antenna for my Max5 ESC to fit. The holes are just the right size that the plate can not move up or down the posts and is mounted by means of the posts themselves.

The back of the plate sits on the Hot Racing motor mount lip and the front of the plate sits where the wire harness waterproof piece mount use to go that held the antenna. I put waterproof foam on the underside of the front of the plate to regain that watertight electronics seal.

I definitely like it better where it is now considering the aftermarket plate I had before mounted the ESC between the front shock towers.

The ESC is screwed to the plate from underneath.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 11-06-2020 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Updated.

This video explains the mounting process....

https://youtu.be/HKIugzNw_sw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatal
    I did and posted something similar to this video a long time ago, but I use the space underneath my ESC to tuck in all my wires. My ESC mount, screws into the support rail and where the ESC use to be. No tie wraps except for keeping my wires tidy.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 11-07-2020 at 01:54 AM.

RC Champion

Happy Bashing All!
    Outstanding stuff, mate, love the WFO equipment. Hope you have the rest of stuff soon.

RC Champion
    I did this with mine:

I cut holes through the ESC plate I made so the skeleton brace posts fit through it and I didn't have to cut or relocate anything except for the antenna for my Max5 ESC to fit. The holes are just the right size that the plate can not move up or down the posts and is mounted by means of the posts themselves.

The back of the plate sits on the Hot Racing motor mount lip and the front of the plate sits where the wire harness waterproof piece mount use to go that held the antenna. I put waterproof foam on the underside of the front of the plate to regain that watertight electronics seal.

I definitely like it better where it is now considering the aftermarket plate I had before mounted the ESC between the front shock towers.

The ESC is screwed to the plate from underneath.
    Mate, Ņthe Max5 fits in the same stock chassis location as Max6?

Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Mate, Ņthe Max5 fits in the same stock chassis location as Max6?

The Max6 fits in the same location as the stock VXL-8S ESC without modification. The Max5 is (LxWxH) 93.35mm/58.12mm/47.81mm and needs to be raised out of the cubby to fit in the location I have it.

The Max6 is (LxWxH) 70.0mm/56.0mm/46.5mm

As you can see by the measurements I posted, the Max5 is about 23.4mm longer and cannot squeeze between the Rx assembly and motor without raising the ESC by use of a plate.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 11-07-2020 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Updated.

RC Champion
    The Max6 fits in the same location as the stock VXL-8S ESC without modification. The Max5 is (LxWxH) 93.35mm/58.12mm/47.81mm and needs to be raised out of the cubby to fit in the location I have it.

The Max6 is (LxWxH) 70.0mm/56.0mm/46.5mm

As you can see by the measurements I posted, the Max5 is about 23.4mm longer and cannot squeeze between the Rx assembly and motor without raising the ESC by use of a plate.
    Thanks mate, sorry, I didn't see the plate properly, my fail, now understand the mounting system perfectly, thanks.

RC Racer

So it begins...

Hi Guys.

So the build has started. Still not got the Motor yet but should be on Wednesday.

I have been looking at the comments about mounting the Max 5 down low and this is what I did on the build above. I can say it will not fit in the space where the original esc was mounted but this is the way I managed to get it to go in.

I shaved and cut away the cable trap next to the receiver box and got a strong piece of foam that was about 2 or 3mm higher that the recess to allow for some of the cables to go under the esc to hide some of the cables. With the esc, I did take off the plastic fan cover surround and the esc fitted snug in the chassis nice and wedged with another piece of foam. I did take it to the moon and back quite high and never had the esc pop out or move. The foam however did have the HobbyWing logo imprinted in it. There was a cable tie over the top but was solid in the X-Maxx.

I do want to keeps this build nice and tidy but with me running Futaba and wanting voltage and temp monitoring, I have the need for a few extra sensors that means more wiring With the Futaba T7PXR, it is telemetry ready and with the new Castle XLX2, I can have the monitoring hooked up direct to my receiver via sbus2 and would save on a lot off cables so will be my next upgrade if I cook my MAX 5.

But anyways, here are a few photos of the progress so far....

More updates to follow soon.

RC Racer
    Hereís a few more shots but over a few posts due to not being on my laptop and not having Tapatalk pro. I did hot glue both sides and stayed put perfectly and I suppose cushioned the esc on them harsh landings. 2 holes in the foam is where I used some needle nose pliers to pull it out after I worked loose the old hot glue....

To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    Another view...

To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    For for some measurements....

To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    Here is a link to the foam pads...

http://Shock Absorbing Washer Pads R...ing=UTF8&psc=1

To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    Hereís a view of the esc mounted with the wfo mounting plate and esc box.

Looks a lot better apart from the melted esc connector from a loose motor cable

To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    And another view....

To the Moon 🌙

RC Champion
    And another view....

Hope you can finnish the job soon, want to see the results.

RC Racer

To the mooooon!
    To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer

OMG! This is a beast! Roll on tonight!

To the mooooon!
    To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    Yeah buddy, that there is an X maxX killer.

I have the hobbywing 800 KV and that can is too much fun. But, I hate to say get ready to break ish.
    Last edited by afreek1000; 11-11-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast