Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by afreek1000 View Post
    Yeah buddy, that there is an X maxX killer.

I have the hobbywing 800 KV and that can is too much fun. But, I hate to say get ready to break ish.
    Guessing the standard gears canít take the uprated torque. Is this what you mean by an X-Maxx killer? Or just the added weight and stress on plastic chassis and arms?

In my plan for the drive train, I am uprating the following: -

- gpm diff ring gears
    - gpm alloy diff housing
    - gpm hardened spider gears
    - gpm output gears
    - wfo spur and pinion 25/35 gear

Hopefully this should help.

To the mooooon!
    To the Moon 🌙

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by hallamnet View Post
    Guessing the standard gears can’t take the uprated torque. Is this what you mean by an X-Maxx killer? Or just the added weight and stress on plastic chassis and arms?

- gpm diff ring gears
    - gpm alloy diff housing
    - gpm output gears

To the mooooon!
    Wowwww, like this septup.

RC Racer
    Just a quick update.

Still working through the build.

Hereís a quick update:-

Cables are not cut short due to future upgrade planned.

To the mooooon!
    To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer

To the mooooon!
    To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    Do you have a BEC going on there?

RC Racer
    Guessing the standard gears can’t take the uprated torque. Is this what you mean by an X-Maxx killer? Or just the added weight and stress on plastic chassis and arms?

- gpm diff ring gears
    - gpm alloy diff housing
    - gpm output gears

To the mooooon!
    Sorry just noticed this. Yes, upgrade drivetrain. But also seems to stress all plastic chassis/bulkhead parts. It’s not unheard of that I sacrifice these parts once in a while.

Having said that, my driving is terrible. Still on a learning curve to stick landings more than 50% of the time.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Sorry just noticed this. Yes, upgrade drivetrain. But also seems to stress all plastic chassis/bulkhead parts. Itís not unheard of that I sacrifice these parts once in a while.

Having said that, my driving is terrible. Still on a learning curve to stick landings more than 50% of the time.
    Iíll mention I have cracked the plastic diff cover, this allowed play and ruined my spur and pinion. Just a thought. Hereís my fix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripdog7205 View Post
    Iíll mention I have cracked the plastic diff cover, this allowed play and ruined my spur and pinion. Just a thought. Hereís my fix

Oh yes, every time I make the diff cover flex too much and/or crack it, about 10 sec later I hear the dread-full clicking. That tells me time for a new ring/pinion gear set at the diff.

I once purchased and installed a set of hardened steel spiral diff gears. Unfortunately I didnít have much success with them. The teeth seem very shallow and in my case, they seemed to separate and strip easily from the flex, so I went back to stock along with shimming them.

I hope you have better luck with them, I feel like the
    aluminum diff covers will help keeping those spiral gears meshed properly. Let me know how it turns out. Iím thinking of purchasing myself.

RC Racer
    Do you have a BEC going on there?
    Sure do.

For the 12v fans cooling the esc and the motor. Had to upgrade as no fault of my own, the original bec release the lost smoke monster and had to replace. It the one on top of the old fan. Very small foot print.

Had a bit of a dilemma as the motor protrudes out of the top chassis rails so had to make a custom foam mount for the top for the fan to sit on our of anti vibration foam so should help the fan a bit more

Had a brand new custom cooler fan sitting around so used this instead of the massive I was using that was a bit to heavy......

To the mooooon!
    To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    Oh yes, every time I make the diff cover flex too much and/or crack it, about 10 sec later I hear the dread-full clicking. That tells me time for a new ring/pinion gear set at the diff.

I once purchased and installed a set of hardened steel spiral diff gears. Unfortunately I didnít have much success with them. The teeth seem very shallow and in my case, they seemed to separate and strip easily from the flex, so I went back to stock along with shimming them.

I hope you have better luck with them, I feel like the
    aluminum diff covers will help keeping those spiral gears meshed properly. Let me know how it turns out. Iím thinking of purchasing myself.
    No worries, will do.

Might have to add the diff covers to the shopping list

To the mooooon!
    To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer

The Build...

Evening all.

So almost done now and I must say, has been quite fun. Just too many cables the way I'm doing it as i'm not using any standard electronics and running 12v fans for the ESC and Motor. I was going to leave one off of the motor from a few reviews I have seen online but the motor was getting warm on a test run so thought i'd ad one in. Eventually will add in some running lights and maybe FPV. Future project.

So first up stripped the truck down to just the bear chassis with no motor or electronics and took off the top chassis brace. I took out the old running gear (slipper clutch and spur gear) and replaced with the wfo mod 1.5 shaft, 35 tooth spur gear and replaced the bearings with new rubber sealed bearings. The old ones did not need to be changed but as I had bought new one, I thought i'd use them. All grub screws thread locked with red thread locker

I then mounted the motor mount in the chassis and bolted the motor in loose but with just enough tightness to hold it in place in the middle of the mount. I then fitted the pinion gear and thread locked the grub screw and spent a short while getting the gear mesh right. I was told this could be tricky but did not take long at all.

I then installed the Futaba received in the new received box with some gorilla mounting tape and routed the cables through the old receiver box making two small cable channels with a Dremel and routed to the new wfo receiver box. I have installed an Sbus Futaba temperature sensor and used metal heat proof tape to attach it to the motor. I would have installed a voltage monitor but I cannot get one anywhere for Futaba. I have had one on order for bout 2 months and no luck. Same with the HobbyWing WiFi express.

For the fans, I mounted a 12v bec on the front bulkhead but plan to get a smaller one to go in the old receiver box. Cables cut to size for the fans and connectors made for quick and easy maintenance. All cables then run in and through the 2 receiver boxes and hidden away. On the channels made for the cables, foam pads and some silicone put round the cable entry points the night before and left to dry to create a springy water tight seal.

I then mounted the Max5 esc on the wfo esc plate, then this over the 2 receiver boxes and secured down with supplied hardware from wfo. Fed all the slack back in to the receiver box and fished off with some battery straps to hold the cable up from the steering arms and neaten it up a bit.

I have used a new server PSU fan 12v from a HP server that chucks out loads of cooling for the ESC and a custom cooler fan from RS components left over from another project for the Motor. It doesn't looks much but again, is a high flow fan. Nice and light compared to the other fan I was using. I had to make some foam adaptors for the fan as the motor stuck out quite a bit through the chassis brace but looks as though it works well and should help vibrations throwing a fan blade from harsh landings. Only time will tell.

I have adjusted the springs on the suspension as the truck was lagging down a bit due to the extra weight and will find tune this when I finally get out with it.

ESC has been calibrated, Fans tested, dust cover installed and Louise wheels put back on. All that is left in to take it for a test run on Saturday.

But anyways, Here's a load of photos from during the build....

RC Racer

RC Champion
    Sure do.

For the 12v fans cooling the esc and the motor. Had to upgrade as no fault of my own, the original bec release the lost smoke monster and had to replace. It the one on top of the old fan. Very small foot print.

Had a bit of a dilemma as the motor protrudes out of the top chassis rails so had to make a custom foam mount for the top for the fan to sit on our of anti vibration foam so should help the fan a bit more

Had a brand new custom cooler fan sitting around so used this instead of the massive I was using that was a bit to heavy......

To the mooooon!
    Good project mate, Ņcan you put the link for the ESC fan?

As I mentioned before, I really liked your list and what you planned for the truck.

It is curious though, as I was looking over the WFO site and did not see MOD1 gears but rather MOD1.5 gears.

You had this in your list:

You stated mod1 gears and if there is indeed mod1 gears available, that would mean they make them for the 5mm motor shafts and that would spark my interest so long as they were offered in the "D" style as well. It would also mean I wouldn't have to change the bearing sizes on my spur gear shaft either, or would I?

Just want to double check with you on this to see if it was a typo or I can actually get the MOD1 sizes. I have high hopes; but as you said before, it was late at night on your first post and it may have had some errors.

I really hope that I could get them in the MOD1 size with a "D" cut and maintain my motor shaft diameter and original bearing sizes; but then again it would probably be wishful thinking!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 11-14-2020 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Updated.
    Sent from my autonomous device.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    As I mentioned before, I really liked your list and what you planned for the truck.

It is curious though, as I was looking over the WFO site and did not see MOD1 gears but rather MOD1.5 gears.

You had this in your list:

You stated mod1 gears and if there is indeed mod1 gears available, that would mean they make them for the 5mm motor shafts and that would spark my interest so long as they were offered in the "D" style as well. It would also mean I wouldn't have to change the bearing sizes on my spur gear shaft either, or would I?

Just want to double check with you on this to see if it was a typo or I can actually get the MOD1 sizes. I have high hopes; but as you said before, it was late at night on your first post and it may have had some errors.

I really hope that I could get them in the MOD1 size with a "D" cut and maintain my motor shaft diameter and original bearing sizes; but then again it would probably be wishful thinking!
    Probably the mate made a typing error, WFO only has 1.5 MOD gears.

RC Racer
    Sorry, my bad, 1.5 gears for sure.

Had the first run today and itís epic! Wheelies at almost top speed and sounds nuts! Itís got such a nice coasting sound and and awesome note accelerating.

Did a few jumps today and love the way it is now!

Need a gps for it now to clock it!

The iíll try snd post a video soon. I did get some shorts but not very good as was one handed driving and COVID restrictions.

To the mooooon!
    To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Juanmacine View Post
    Iíll try and find the motor make tonight. I upgraded a fan in a power supply unit and this is the one I took out as it was too loud but perfect for the Maxx.

To the mooooon!
    To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    Hereís a quick video.

Included the crashes as well. Still not used to driving with one hand but Iíll get the hang of it. And where did that dip come from

Just wish the weather would improve!

https://youtu.be/iQvIBPPTksI

To the mooooon!
    To the Moon 🌙

RC Qualifier
    Gorilla tape would hold better then the duct tape. And look better since its black. Nice truck though.
    I've been running 12v computer fans on a couple of my trucks, but they seem to break often. They are pretty brittle (at least mine are). Let us know how they hold up, hopefully your brand lasts longer then mine do.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

RC Racer
    Managed to find a similar match to the one I have.

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/axial-fans/1118185/

Have a look on RS components site. Thereís loads of options. Use the filters and choose dc voltage, the voltage you want to use and the size and this should help you out loads.

Latest mod tonight, carbon battery tray and straps all thanks to...

https://www.pro-carbonracing.co.uk

To the mooooon!
    To the Moon 🌙

Here’s a quick video.

Included the crashes as well. Still not used to driving with one hand but I’ll get the hang of it. And where did that dip come from

To the mooooon!
    I enjoyed the video and liked how at 27 seconds you made that person walking look back as if something really big was about to run them over! It sounds really good and looks like it performs stellar with little effort.

If you can drive that good with one hand and film at the same time, my hat is off to you partner!

I really enjoy seeing someone take the time to share their build and then offer up a little extra video to kick it up a notch.

May it bring you many hours of enjoyment before your next build.

I'm in the middle of trying to figure out how to remove eleven and a half pounds of mud from my truck before I share some more ideas.

RC Champion
    Here’s a quick video.

Included the crashes as well. Still not used to driving with one hand but I’ll get the hang of it. And where did that dip come from

To the mooooon!
    Excellent video mate, Ņwhat happens with that body shell?

Managed to find a similar match to the one I have.

https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/axial-fans/1118185/

Have a look on RS components site. There’s loads of options. Use the filters and choose dc voltage, the voltage you want to use and the size and this should help you out loads.

Latest mod tonight, carbon battery tray and straps all thanks to...

https://www.pro-carbonracing.co.uk

To the mooooon!
    Thanks mate.

RC Racer
    Excellent video mate, Ņwhat happens with that body shell?

Thanks mate.
    Lets just say the truck has has a lot of abuse and driven to moon and crash landed a few times. Also to say this is the first hobby grade RC i have owned so been driven like a noob

RC Racer
    But to update.

As kind of expected I am still waiting to receive my uprated diff ring gear, bevel gear and chipped some teeth on the bevel gear meshing with the pinion.

So now just have to wait for my delivery to come through.

But question to the forum. We can all buy uprated spider gears in the differentials, bevel gears for the shaft, and ring gears for the differential, uprated pinions and spur gears but canít find any uprated differential output gears.

Do these exist or are they even needed?

To the mooooon!
    To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    Just to clarify, I am on about these ones....

To the mooooon!
    To the Moon 🌙

RC Champion
    Just to clarify, I am on about these ones....

To the mooooon!
    Mate, this part only can buyed in this set of pieces, it's a kit of diff spares.

RC Racer
    I understand that but just wondering if thereís any uprated versions of them around? I have no idea how strong they are but with upgrading the spider gears to hardened steel ones, thought it would be a good idea to do these too!

Soon, all I need is a chassis, screws and set of arms and Iíll be able to build an X-Maxx out of parts

To the mooooon!
    To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    So bit of an update.

Rear GPM gears failed on me but they have offered my a refund for them! Canít grumble at that and the Customer Service has been awesome. They would have sent some new gears out but with the UK having this new strain of CV-19 thatís more infectious than the last, they will not ship out to the UK. So now running Traxxas hardened Ring gear and spur.

With the fans, all was holding up ok until my castle connector said hello to the fan and broke a load of the fins during a pod bash session. I have since made a mod so this will not happen again with a few cable ties of the battery cables near the connector to the battery bar mount towers.

But over Christmas, did a bit of a rebuild on the truck With these parts (Thanks Wheelspinmodels)....

Hi have also bought a a new servo to install but just waiting for my Pro Modeller servo horn to be delivered so I can get it installed.

Also, after months of trying to find one in the uk, I now have my voltages on my controller (Futaba P7XR) once again with them read out tome once it starts to get near 29.5v (Thanks RC Mart)!

And guess what, I have now almost built another X-Maxx. Bought a few packs of screws from eBay and all looking good....

Still not done a speed run with it but will deffo do one when the weather is better and weíre out of tier 4!

Hereís a quick short of a group jump....

https://youtu.be/LLwUNvSXgrw

More updates to follow as they come

To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    So just received a care packed from ProModeler.

Canít wait to fit my new servo!

To the Moon 🌙

RC Champion
    So just received a care packed from ProModeler.

Can’t wait to fit my new servo!

Excellent mate, post pics when you install it.

RC Racer
    Finally fitted the Savo Monster HV SB-2290HG with Pro Modeler servo arm.

The servo seems to be a lot quicker but will only properly tell once all back together!

Video to follow later on

To the Moon 🌙

RC Racer
    Video as promised for the speed of the Servo.

Still need to sort endpoints out but looking good!

https://youtu.be/D0YlGUsQS8w

To the Moon 🌙

RC Champion

Still need to sort endpoints out but looking good!

https://youtu.be/D0YlGUsQS8w

Wow mate, very fast.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks familiar

I've followed this thread for some time and appreciate your feedback in my thread as well.

With everything that you have done to the truck, is there anything you feel that you might have or wish you had done differently?

The reason I ask, is because quite a few members have more than one X-Maxx and I'm starting to understand why. It isn't because we love the truck so darn much that we have to have more than one for that reason.

I believe it is because once you set the X-Maxx up a certain way when modding, it seems like it would be so much easier just to build another truck for another style of driving than to repetitively keep altering gearing/changing the motor Kv on the same truck over and over; yet alone keep messing with suspension set-ups.

It must be nice to say: "Today, I'm just going to jump the X-Maxx, so I'll use this one today."

Then day two comes along and your buddy wants to speed run you to death, so you pull out X-Maxx number two set up for speed runs with low squatting suspension characteristics.

Don't get me wrong, the X-Maxx is easy to work on once you know the truck; but the extent with respect to what has to be changed just because you want to drive the truck one way versus another is very time consuming and hence the reason I believe a lot of guys get more than one X-Maxx for that reason alone.
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 01-11-2021 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Spelling.

RC Enthusiast
    I just got doing installing the hobby wing 1100 KV with the max 5. And the 1.5 Gears. 20/35. WFO Radio box for the ESC. This thing is absolutely insane. Canít keep the front end down. 😁 I did put in the 25 pinion gear and itís absolutely insane uncontrollable at high speeds. Wound up putting back in the 20 pinion gear.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor View Post
    I've followed this thread for some time and appreciate your feedback in my thread as well.

With everything that you have done to the truck, is there anything you feel that you might have or wish you had done differently?

The reason I ask, is because quite a few members have more than one X-Maxx and I'm starting to understand why. It isn't because we love the truck so darn much that we have to have more than one for that reason.

I believe it is because once you set the X-Maxx up a certain way when modding, it seems like it would be so much easier just to build another truck for another style of driving than to repetitively keep altering gearing/changing the motor Kv on the same truck over and over; yet alone keep messing with suspension set-ups.

It must be nice to say: "Today, I'm just going to jump the X-Maxx, so I'll use this one today."

Then day two comes along and your buddy wants to speed run you to death, so you pull out X-Maxx number two set up for speed runs with low squatting suspension characteristics.

Don't get me wrong, the X-Maxx is easy to work on once you know the truck; but the extent with respect to what has to be changed just because you want to drive the truck one way versus another is very time consuming and hence the reason I believe a lot of guys get more than one X-Maxx for that reason alone.
    Thanks FC for the message and good to hear youíve been following this and appreciate the feedback. Good to know people have seen this and use it for ideas or a base to build their own beast of an X-Maxx.

So what would I have done differently? Thereís a few things really that I can think of but nothing major.

I have recently bought some Pro-Line dual rate springs for the rear (red stiffer springs installed) as the truck is a lot heavier than standard and even though I have not ran it with the new springs, I can tell this will greatly help landings on larger jumps.

Washers that come with the WFO motor mount, I thought they looked a bit weak and flimsy and within a few weeks of jumps, these all dished, bent in and affected the mesh ever so slightly. I then bought some heavy duty thick metal washers, filed them down to fit the space exactly and fill the whole hole under the chassis and I have never had an issue since. Next time Iím near it, Iíll see if I can get some photos.

Not to do with the upgrades but I wish I had replaced the standard steel screws sooner. When I installed the upgrades, a lot of the screws had rusted and one did round off when trying to unscrew. I have now replaced almost all of the screws with A2 stainless screws and should combat them rusting. The cap head screws that screw in to the side of the middle chassis brace from large jumps have bent but still serve their purpose.

I installed some carbon fibre battery trays and Velcro straps and this has totally eliminated battery ejections and donít have installed the grey battery bars. Takes a bit longer to change a battery but gain that back by not having to put them back in after a large jump. Also using castle 6.5mm connectors and donít have any disconnects with the battery cables tie wrapped to the old battery bar mounts.

Funny you should say about building another X-Maxx as this is what Iím doing at the moment out of old parts I upgraded from mine and gradually buying the new parts I need to complete the build. I do plan to up-rate this one in the future but have a plan to launch a jump at full speed during the summer with a few other friends. This is the progress so far...

With gearing, I have not experimented yet and really should do but from reviews I have seen with 1/5 scale motors, 1 on 1 gearing is meant to be ideal. The gearing/motor I currently have gives a lot more torque and is quicker than than the standard motor and gearing but still to date have not done a GPS Speed run. Maybe this will be my next purchase.

With the esc, I installed the Max5 before the motor and this was a massive upgrade on its own. The truck was more controllable in the air and a lot more punchier overall. Iíd definitely recommend to upgrade the stock esc to a Max5 or Max6 as I have seen a massive difference with the Max5 and a friend with his Max6. If I was to change the esc in the future, Iíd go for a castle xlx2 as I can cut down on a lot of wiring and use the sbus2 port and an adapter for the esc to send telemetry direct to the tx including, voltage, current, temp and rpm and will save for 2 additional sensors to be used.

With wheels, the standard foams ripped and bunched up but tyres are good and this happened to 4 wheels before I upgraded to the monster motor so decided to go with the Louise Cyclone wheels/tyres. They are bigger than standard and a slight bit narrower but in my opinion, has loads more grip and do not balloon at all. The tread looks like proper monster truck tyre treads and really does compliment the truck. As I donít have any wheels for the 2nd maxx other than my ripped standard ones, Iím tempted to go for another set of Louise wheels but not the same tread pattern. I wish Traxxas sold different foams for the tyres rather than a tyre and foam combo. Eventually Iíll try and make my own foams from furniture foam but does sound like a lot of hassle.

Another point to note is I installed some white DRLís on the front of the truck and some blue ones on the rear just for looks. But when driving a distance away and trying to gauge what way the truck is facing, these help a lot and also catch the eyes of people at the track

I have installed a Futaba rx and just recently installed a voltage monitor to monitor the lipoís total voltage. Wish I had done this earlier as I had an instance where I took off a jump and low voltage cut off kicked in and lost the ability to control the truck in the air cause a bad landing. Now my tx reads out and tells me the voltage when I am getting low so this will not happen again

Temps on the motor at present do not go over 60įc (winter here) and currently donít need a fan for the motor. I have a Futaba temperature sensor mounted to the motor that shows up on my tx and I can set it same as the voltage monitor to speak out when it get to a certain temp. I have a temp gun as well and there is about 2įc difference between them both.

I hope this is a help and no doubt post some more updates when I can get out next.

Regards,

Hal
    To the Moon 🌙

Thanks FC for the message and good to hear youíve been following this and appreciate the feedback.
    Thank you for your candor in post #77.

It takes a lot to admit some things we should of or wish we had done; especially when throwing $500 or more at a time towards these rigs. I remember when I spent my first $500 upgrading the X-Maxx and there was no change.

Well actually, I slowed it down a lot with wheel weight and a heavier ESC. They were upgrades indeed, but I stopped short of the mark by not upgrading the motor at the same time because I was leery of wanting to run the MOD 1.5 gears.

Your thread along with various other threads had pushed me to become more curious about what can and cannot be done with these trucks. When a member is honest about the outcome of their setup like you have been, it really makes it easier on the other members to make decisions based on results like you have posted as well.

I try hard to stay away from giving opinions on my setups until I can find what is causing failures and then make sure once I have a solution that can sustain the modification; then give an honest opinion if I would stay with the modified setup.

I have no idea what I'm getting into with what I'm doing to mine; but at least if something fails on the truck now, I'll know it was my own fault!

RC Racer
    No worries at all

I must admit, when I put the Louise Cyclone wheels and tyres on, I did notice a bit of speed loss but not massive amounts. Once the motor was installed, the difference was like night and day!

I do think the X-Maxx is a great base for any RC project and with the right knowledge and amount of testing, you can make the truck perform and run how you want.

Everyone has their own driving style and limits and one persons build that looks awesome in photos might not be the best for what they want to achieve. Iíd seen the leopard hobby motor and max5 combo used and from I did see in videos and forums, looked good for me and performs great for me.

With the 2nd X-Maxx Iím building, I know the stock tyres are no good as I ran through a complete set ripping the internal foams within a few months without running through water so will base my motor choice when I upgrade it to be powerful enough to give me same speed as the standard truck with upgraded wheels and tyres. I might 500lb Kevlar string round the stock tyres and have a go at making some foams from furniture foam but still unsure of what type to buy.

I only came in to the RC cars hobby middle of last year and forums and local RCíers have helped out greatly including self learning and running and see what happens.

Lolz, and if youíre wonders what my first RC car was, it was this..

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/ind...comment-812901

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    To the Moon 🌙

Lolz, and if you’re wonders what my first RC car was, it was this..

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/ind...comment-812901

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That is nothing to be ashamed about or to be laughed at. At least your first RC vehicle was what they still considered "Radio Controlled".

My first one actually had a tether cord between the vehicle and control unit and you had to walk behind it. RC back then meant Remote Controlled, not Radio Controlled and the batteries in the control unit are what powered the vehicle:

That is the one I had in 1983 and I think it ran on four "D-Cell batteries" - Now that is something to be laughed at!
    Last edited by Flux Capacitor; 01-16-2021 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Better Image

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast